Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 AM
"Jeff G."

Default Ping: Liam Newer kernel backports for 10.04

On 02/15/2012 08:24 AM, Liam Proven wrote in another thread:
> If you're still running "Lucid", 10.04, and are having driver problems
> or something, there are now 3 different newer kernels available.

<snip>

> If you look in Synaptic (or the package manager of your choice), you
> should see (for example):
>
> linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty
>
> and the matching linux-image-generic-pae-backport-natty and
> linux-image-server-backport-natty.

Long story short:

Running U 10.04 - with the last 2 kernel upgrades, my old nVidia card
started losing contact - losing high graphic effects settings regularly.
Best I could figure, problem was either GTK, compiz, my driver install
in the kernel (s) or 1 of a few bugs.
So for giggles, I went and installed the 3.0 kernel - it would only boot
into low graphic mode. So I went for the latest nv 96 from their site
(manual) which complained a few times but installed,

lsmod shows nvidia being used by 22

jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX
420] (rev a3)

I have nvidia.ko in /lib/modules/3.0.0-15-generic/kernel/drivers/video/

Using xfce, graphics seem fine - have purged compiz for xfwm.

xorg says
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"

Jockey can't detect the driver at all - do I need to worry about that?

Thanks,

jg

Old 02-21-2012, 05:08 AM
Ric Moore

On 02/20/2012 11:55 PM, Jeff G. wrote:

On 02/15/2012 08:24 AM, Liam Proven wrote in another thread:
> If you're still running "Lucid", 10.04, and are having driver problems
> or something, there are now 3 different newer kernels available.

<snip>

> If you look in Synaptic (or the package manager of your choice), you
> should see (for example):
>
> linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty
>
> and the matching linux-image-generic-pae-backport-natty and
> linux-image-server-backport-natty.

Long story short:

Running U 10.04 - with the last 2 kernel upgrades, my old nVidia card
started losing contact - losing high graphic effects settings regularly.
Best I could figure, problem was either GTK, compiz, my driver install
in the kernel (s) or 1 of a few bugs.
So for giggles, I went and installed the 3.0 kernel - it would only boot
into low graphic mode. So I went for the latest nv 96 from their site
(manual) which complained a few times but installed,

lsmod shows nvidia being used by 22

jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX
420] (rev a3)

I have nvidia.ko in /lib/modules/3.0.0-15-generic/kernel/drivers/video/

Using xfce, graphics seem fine - have purged compiz for xfwm.

xorg says
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"

Jockey can't detect the driver at all - do I need to worry about that?

Run nvidia-settings. Set up your video specs, click on whatever options
you feel you need to use, then click on the save configuration button to
save the entire /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. You should have a lot more in
that file than you showed. That completes the install. With that new
kernel you probably need to to a serious update to your system as well.
Then reboot and see what you have. Ric

Old 02-21-2012, 12:58 PM
"Jeff G."

On 02/20/2012 10:08 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

On 02/20/2012 11:55 PM, Jeff G. wrote:

On 02/15/2012 08:24 AM, Liam Proven wrote in another thread:
> If you're still running "Lucid", 10.04, and are having driver problems
> or something, there are now 3 different newer kernels available.

<snip>

> If you look in Synaptic (or the package manager of your choice), you
> should see (for example):
>
> linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty
>
> and the matching linux-image-generic-pae-backport-natty and
> linux-image-server-backport-natty.

Long story short:

Running U 10.04 - with the last 2 kernel upgrades, my old nVidia card
started losing contact - losing high graphic effects settings regularly.
Best I could figure, problem was either GTK, compiz, my driver install
in the kernel (s) or 1 of a few bugs.
So for giggles, I went and installed the 3.0 kernel - it would only boot
into low graphic mode. So I went for the latest nv 96 from their site
(manual) which complained a few times but installed,

lsmod shows nvidia being used by 22

jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX
420] (rev a3)

I have nvidia.ko in /lib/modules/3.0.0-15-generic/kernel/drivers/video/

Using xfce, graphics seem fine - have purged compiz for xfwm.

xorg says
Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"

Jockey can't detect the driver at all - do I need to worry about that?

Run nvidia-settings. Set up your video specs, click on whatever options
you feel you need to use, then click on the save configuration button to
save the entire /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

nvidia did that itself upon install - it found and modified the old one.

You should have a lot more in that file than you showed.

I do - I was only addressing nvidia recognition by everything but jockey.

That completes the install. With that new
kernel you probably need to to a serious update to your system as well.

Only serious update I can see is something over U 10.04 - all packages
are up to date per Canonical - Thunderbird and Firefox beyond the
versions offered in Synaptic.

Then reboot and see what you have. Ric

Everything seems fine, just jockey doesn't see the driver. I'm thinking
the manual install had a thing to do with that.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Liam Proven

On 21 February 2012 13:58, Jeff G. <jeff.g.group@att.net> wrote:
> On 02/20/2012 10:08 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> Long story short:
>>>
>>> Running U 10.04 - with the last 2 kernel upgrades, my old nVidia card
>>> started losing contact - losing high graphic effects settings regularly.
>>> Best I could figure, problem was either GTK, compiz, my driver install
>>> in the kernel (s) or 1 of a few bugs.
>>> So for giggles, I went and installed the 3.0 kernel - it would only boot
>>> into low graphic mode. So I went for the latest nv 96 from their site
>>> (manual) which complained a few times but installed,
>>>
>>> lsmod shows nvidia being used by 22
>>>
>>> jeff@jeff-desktop:~$ lspci | grep VGA
>>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX
>>> 420] (rev a3)
>>>
>>> I have nvidia.ko in /lib/modules/3.0.0-15-generic/kernel/drivers/video/
>>>
>>> Using xfce, graphics seem fine - have purged compiz for xfwm.
>>>
>>> xorg says
>>> Section "Device"
>>> Identifier "Device0"
>>> Driver "nvidia"
>>> VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
>>>

>>> Jockey can't detect the driver at all - do I need to worry about that?
>>

>> Run nvidia-settings. Set up your video specs, click on whatever options
>> you feel you need to use, then click on the save configuration button to
>> save the entire /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
>

> nvidia did that itself upon install - it found and modified the old one.
>

>> You should have a lot more in that file than you showed.
>

> I do - I was only addressing nvidia recognition by everything but jockey.
>

>> That completes the install. With that new
>> kernel you probably need to to a serious update to your system as well.
>

> Only serious update I can see is something over U 10.04 - all packages are
> up to date per Canonical - Thunderbird and Firefox beyond the versions
> offered in Synaptic.
>

>> Then reboot and see what you have. Ric
>

> Everything seems fine, just jockey doesn't see the driver. *I'm thinking the
> manual install had a thing to do with that.

Ric's suggestions looked good to me.

What model of nVidia GPU is it? I have seen problems recognising and
configuring older cards that don't work with the latest drivers before
- but not for some years. TBH though I don't have any such old cards
still in use, so I cannot say if the problems have been resolved or
not.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 02-21-2012, 10:42 PM
"Jeff G."

On 02/21/2012 08:52 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

<snip>

Everything seems fine, just jockey doesn't see the driver. I'm thinking the
> manual install had a thing to do with that.

Ric's suggestions looked good to me.

What model of nVidia GPU is it? I have seen problems recognising and
configuring older cards that don't work with the latest drivers before
- but not for some years. TBH though I don't have any such old cards
still in use, so I cannot say if the problems have been resolved or
not.

Its an old geforce4 mx 420 - don't go there, it works just fine for me
on this old box and it will handle TV and dual monitors if I so desire.

Ric's suggestions were all good but already covered - don't know how he
thought I got there w/o doing all he suggested already.

My question was do I worry about jockey not seeing the driver - graphics
and kernel work flawlessly so far.

Tnx for the input,

jg