Old 04-03-2008, 05:21 PM
NoOp

Default Agere WinModem 56k on Thinkpad - Working!

On 04/01/2008 09:08 PM, NoOp wrote:

> As an update: I decided (silly me) to do a fresh install of Hardy Beta
> on the laptop. Amongst other things that were working when I'd done a
> Gutsy to Hardy update on the A21M, I now find that the ltmodem
> lucent/agere restricted drivers are longer in 2.6.24-12-386... Sigh. Not
> only that, but as soon as I load the restricted kernel, all of my sound
> goes as well. I guess it's back to Gutsy for this laptop for awhile.

Filed a bug:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24/+bug/210652>
Got a response & fix in 2 days :-)
Modem is working again & I'm a happy (Hardy) camper again!

Old 07-09-2011, 03:42 AM
NoOp

On 02/26/2008 03:54 PM, sktsee wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 11:47 -0800, NoOp wrote:

>> > Thanks! I'll look into that and give it a try.
>> > The laptop is showing 11c1:0449. The one in my desktop is showing
>> > 11c1:044f (can't get that one to break dialtone yet - works fine in
>> > WinXPPro).
>> >

>> martian works on the laptop with the generic kernal - even did a reboot
>> to make sure, thanks!
>>
>> Interesting though that it needs to be run as root (sudo anyways). I
>> also like using the gnome-ppp GUI so I guess I'll need to write a script
>> to start martian_modem (sudo martian_modem) and then gnome-ppp (gksu
>> gnome-ppp).
>>
>> Now I'll try it on the desktop later and see if I can get it working
>> there. Thanks again sktsee :-)
>>
> But wait, there's more!
> Attached is the martian init script to run martian_modem as a daemon. I
> made a slight modification to the command line to enable logging and to
> set the permission to 660 on /dev/ttySM0 and changed the group ownership
> to "dialout". I then copied it to /etc/init.d, and did an "sudo
> update-rc.d martian start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6 ." to update the
> links.
>
> Only drawback to using it this way is that the martian_modem helper
> program puts a 5-7% continuous load on the CPU while connected, dropping
> down to a 2-4% load while disconnected. For the desktop machine, it
> won't matter so much, but for the laptop it can be a concern in a low
> battery situation. Of course, you can always stop the service to save on
> battery life.

After all this time I finally got the desktop modem to break dialtone &
dial. Original thread:
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/137305>

On 10.10 maverick, I did a make install of martian-full-20100123.tar.gz,
purged martian-modem & reinstalled martian-modem and:
$ sudo wvdialconf
Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- and failed too at 115200, giving up.
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S1 S2 S3
WvModem<*1>: Cannot get information for serial port.
ttySM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- LT V.92 Data+Fax Modem Version 8.30
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 230400: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 460800: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
ttySM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK

Modem dials & connects gets carrier from the remote modem.
gnome-ppp log indicates it's problem with password (username & password
are correct):

-> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Please enter password (or empty password to stop):
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT[snip]
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATM1L3DT717-2412
CONNECT 48000 V42bis
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
--> Connected, but carrier signal lost! Retrying...
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT[snip]
--> Waiting for carrier.
STATION ID - sjoca07rs08pr004,sfoca44ev
Welcome
Please Sign-on:
ATM1L3DT717-2412
Please Sign-on:
Name, password pair incorrect
Please Sign-on:
Name, password pair incorrect
Please Sign-on:
Login failed, reason = (-180,sfoca44ev,1310181922-000,sjoca07rs08pr004)
Connection closed by foreign host.
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
--> Connected, but carrier signal lost! Retrying...
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT[snip]
--> Waiting for carrier.
NO CARRIER
--> No Carrier! Trying again.
--> Maximum Attempts Exceeded..Aborting!!
--> Disconnecting at Fri Jul 8 20:27:17 2011

If I turn on stupid mode:

-> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Please enter password (or empty password to stop):
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT[snip]
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATM1L3DT717-2412
CONNECT 45333 V42bis
--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Fri Jul 8 20:35:02 2011
--> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
--> --> PAP (Password Authentication Protocol) may be flaky.
--> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/chap-secrets: Permission denied
--> --> CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky.
--> Pid of pppd: 4704
--> Using interface ppp0
--> Disconnecting at Fri Jul 8 20:35:04 2011
--> The PPP daemon has died: Authentication error.
--> We failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer.
--> Maybe bad account or password? (exit code = 19)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> I guess that's it for now, exiting
--> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 19)

Any clue as to what I'm doing wrong?

Gary

Old 07-09-2011, 04:47 PM
sktsee

After all this time I finally got the desktop modem to break dialtone&
dial. Original thread:
<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/137305>

Ah yes, I remember the travails with the martian modem well.

On 10.10 maverick, I did a make install of martian-full-20100123.tar.gz,
purged martian-modem& reinstalled martian-modem and:
$ sudo wvdialconf
Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

[snip]

ttySM0<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- LT V.92 Data+Fax Modem Version 8.30
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 230400: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Speed 460800: AT -- OK
ttySM0<*1>: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
ttySM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0&C1&D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK

Modem dials& connects gets carrier from the remote modem.

Looks like the martian modem driver is doing its job so far...

gnome-ppp log indicates it's problem with password (username& password
are correct):

-> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0&C1&D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0&C1&D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Please enter password (or empty password to stop):

Hmm, I wonder why its asking for a password before dialing...

--> Sending: ATM1L3DT[snip]
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATM1L3DT717-2412
CONNECT 48000 V42bis
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
--> Connected, but carrier signal lost! Retrying...
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT[snip]
--> Waiting for carrier.
STATION ID - sjoca07rs08pr004,sfoca44ev
Welcome
Please Sign-on:
ATM1L3DT717-2412

Script appears to send the dial string in response to remote's Sign-on
prompt for some reason.

[snip]

ATM1L3DT717-2412
CONNECT 45333 V42bis
--> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Fri Jul 8 20:35:02 2011
--> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
--> --> PAP (Password Authentication Protocol) may be flaky.
--> Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/chap-secrets: Permission denied
--> --> CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky.

Not sure why those secrets files need to be modified during ppp session
setup, though I think wvdial needs to be able to read them. Are you
running wvidial as root?

--> Pid of pppd: 4704
--> Using interface ppp0
--> Disconnecting at Fri Jul 8 20:35:04 2011
--> The PPP daemon has died: Authentication error.
--> We failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer.
--> Maybe bad account or password? (exit code = 19)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> I guess that's it for now, exiting
--> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 19)

Any clue as to what I'm doing wrong?

Gary

At first glance, it looks to be a script problem with the dial string
being sent as a response to remote's sign-on prompt, however I'm not
familiar enough with wvdial or gnome-ppp to assess whether that's the
case. I've always used pppconfig to setup dial-up networking. It also
uses pppd and chatscript, but maintains separate dialing profiles from
that of wvdial or gnome-ppp. However, to begin troubleshooting I would
start by ruling out whether the modem or modem driver is responsible for
the auth issue. To do that, install the Minicom terminal communications
program and set a dialing entry for your ISP. Dial it and see if you can
establish a terminal session with your ISP remote access server. If it
connects, you should be to manually enter your username and password
when prompted causing the remote access server to start a PPP session
(though just in minicom, pppd won't see it). This will test that the
modem, its driver, and your username and password are correct, and the
problem is most likely in the dialing script or in pppd's configuration
(/etc/ppp/options may need some tweaking).

As I mentioned above, I used pppconfig to setup dial-up networking. It's
menu driven and uses pon/poff scripts which don't require root
privileges to start/stop sessions . I'd recommend using it to setup your
dial-up networking ISP profile and see if that solves the authentication
issue.

--
sktsee

Old 07-09-2011, 06:17 PM
NoOp

On 07/09/2011 09:47 AM, sktsee wrote:

> At first glance, it looks to be a script problem with the dial string
> being sent as a response to remote's sign-on prompt, however I'm not
> familiar enough with wvdial or gnome-ppp to assess whether that's the
> case. I've always used pppconfig to setup dial-up networking. It also
> uses pppd and chatscript, but maintains separate dialing profiles from
> that of wvdial or gnome-ppp. However, to begin troubleshooting I would
> start by ruling out whether the modem or modem driver is responsible for
> the auth issue. To do that, install the Minicom terminal communications
> program and set a dialing entry for your ISP. Dial it and see if you can
> establish a terminal session with your ISP remote access server. If it
> connects, you should be to manually enter your username and password
> when prompted causing the remote access server to start a PPP session
> (though just in minicom, pppd won't see it). This will test that the
> modem, its driver, and your username and password are correct, and the
> problem is most likely in the dialing script or in pppd's configuration
> (/etc/ppp/options may need some tweaking).
>
> As I mentioned above, I used pppconfig to setup dial-up networking. It's
> menu driven and uses pon/poff scripts which don't require root
> privileges to start/stop sessions . I'd recommend using it to setup your
> dial-up networking ISP profile and see if that solves the authentication
> issue.

Got it working! Had to run gnome-ppp as root (gksu) and put in stupid
mode (Ignore terminal strings (stupid mode)) & it now connects:

$ gksu gnome-ppp
WVCONF: /root/.wvdial.conf
GNOME PPP: Connecting...
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Cannot get information for serial port.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Initializing modem.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATX3
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATX3
GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
GNOME PPP: STDERR: OK
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Modem initialized.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Sending: ATM1L3DT8899111
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Waiting for carrier.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: ATM1L3DT8899111
GNOME PPP: STDERR: CONNECT 48000 V42bis
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Starting pppd at Sat Jul 9 10:59:09 2011
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Pid of pppd: 5597
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Using interface ppp0
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> local IP address 12.72.157.168
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> remote IP address 165.238.10.74
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> primary DNS address 68.94.156.1
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> secondary DNS address 68.94.157.1
GNOME PPP: STDERR: Caught signal 2: Attempting to exit gracefully...
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Terminating on signal 15
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Connect time 0.5 minutes.
GNOME PPP: STDERR: --> Disconnecting at Sat Jul 9 10:59:35 2011

Now I need to sort out why I need to use 'gksu' and then on to figuring
out hylafax or similar so that I can finally get rid of my old fax
machine :-)

Gary

Old 07-09-2011, 06:49 PM
NoOp

On 07/09/2011 11:17 AM, NoOp wrote:
> Now I need to sort out why I need to use 'gksu' and then on to figuring
> out hylafax or similar so that I can finally get rid of my old fax
> machine :-)

Got efax working (even answers incoming fax calls). However I also need
to run efax w/gksu in order to user /dev/ttySM0.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 PM
sktsee

[...]

Cool!

Now I need to sort out why I need to use 'gksu' and then on to figuring
out hylafax or similar so that I can finally get rid of my old fax
machine :-)

You might try adding you user account to the "dip" group and possibly
changing the martian modem daemon command line to use "--group=dip"
instead of "--group=dialout" I think I used dialout because the udev
rule for the old ltserial and ltmodem device files did. But pppd is
setuid and owned by the dip group so it really makes more sense to have
ttySM0 created with the dip group permission.

Also concerning permissions, apparently wvdial needs write permission to
those {pap,chap}-secrets files. To get rid of those PAP/CHAP warnings,
just add read/write perms for the "dip" group to those files and
hopefully you won't need to run gnome-ppp with root privs.

--
sktsee

Old 07-09-2011, 07:59 PM
NoOp

On 07/09/2011 12:49 PM, sktsee wrote:
> On 07/09/2011 01:17 PM, NoOp wrote:
>> Now I need to sort out why I need to use 'gksu' and then on to figuring
>> out hylafax or similar so that I can finally get rid of my old fax
>> machine :-)
>>

> You might try adding you user account to the "dip" group and possibly

I am in both dialup and dip:
$ groups gg
gg : gg adm disk lp dialout fax cdrom floppy tape audio dip video
plugdev scanner netdev lpadmin powerdev admin fuse saned vboxusers
sambashare

> changing the martian modem daemon command line to use "--group=dip"
> instead of "--group=dialout"

That did it. gnome-ppp now works as standard user. Thanks!

Old 07-09-2011, 08:07 PM
chris

On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 11:49 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/09/2011 11:17 AM, NoOp wrote:
> > Now I need to sort out why I need to use 'gksu' and then on to figuring
> > out hylafax or similar so that I can finally get rid of my old fax
> > machine :-)
>
> Got efax working (even answers incoming fax calls). However I also need
> to run efax w/gksu in order to user /dev/ttySM0.

NoOp, are you a member of the dip and dialout group?

--
Cheers the Kiwi

Old 07-09-2011, 08:20 PM
NoOp

On 07/09/2011 01:07 PM, chris wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 11:49 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> On 07/09/2011 11:17 AM, NoOp wrote:
>> > Now I need to sort out why I need to use 'gksu' and then on to figuring
>> > out hylafax or similar so that I can finally get rid of my old fax
>> > machine :-)
>>
>> Got efax working (even answers incoming fax calls). However I also need
>> to run efax w/gksu in order to user /dev/ttySM0.
>>

> NoOp, are you a member of the dip and dialout group?

Yes. Got it working, I just had to modify sktsee's script to use dip
instead of dialout. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:58 PM
NoOp

On 07/09/2011 12:59 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/09/2011 12:49 PM, sktsee wrote:
>> On 07/09/2011 01:17 PM, NoOp wrote:
>>> Now I need to sort out why I need to use 'gksu' and then on to figuring
>>> out hylafax or similar so that I can finally get rid of my old fax
>>> machine :-)
>>>

>> You might try adding you user account to the "dip" group and possibly
>
> I am in both dialup and dip:
> $ groups gg
> gg : gg adm disk lp dialout fax cdrom floppy tape audio dip video
> plugdev scanner netdev lpadmin powerdev admin fuse saned vboxusers
> sambashare
>

>> changing the martian modem daemon command line to use "--group=dip"
>> instead of "--group=dialout"
>
> That did it. gnome-ppp now works as standard user. Thanks!

I find that I need to 'sudo /etc/init.d/martian restart' before I can
use efax etc (permissions). In your 2008 instructions you indicated
using: $ sudo update-rc.d martian start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6
to update the links. Now that we're on 10.10+ I get this when attempting
that:

$ sudo update-rc.d martian start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6
update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword
'required-start'

update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword
'required-stop'

update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword 'default-stop'

update-rc.d: warning: martian stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not
match LSB Default-Stop values (none)
update-rc.d: error: start|stop arguments not terminated by "."
usage: update-rc.d [-n] [-f] <basename> remove
update-rc.d [-n] <basename> defaults [NN | SS KK]
update-rc.d [-n] <basename> start|stop NN runlvl [runlvl] [...] .
update-rc.d [-n] <basename> disable|enable [S|2|3|4|5]
-n: not really
-f: force

The disable|enable API is not stable and might change in the future.

Suggestions?