Old 07-14-2011, 07:17 PM
sktsee

Default Agere WinModem 56k on Thinkpad - Working!

On 07/13/2011 06:58 PM, NoOp wrote:

[snip]

I find that I need to 'sudo /etc/init.d/martian restart' before I can
use efax etc (permissions). In your 2008 instructions you indicated
using: $ sudo update-rc.d martian start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6
to update the links. Now that we're on 10.10+ I get this when attempting
that:

$ sudo update-rc.d martian start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6
update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword
'required-start'

update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword
'required-stop'

update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword 'default-stop'

update-rc.d: warning: martian stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not
match LSB Default-Stop values (none)
update-rc.d: error: start|stop arguments not terminated by "."

The following line should read exactly:
$ sudo update-rc.d martian start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6 .

As far as the warnings go, it looks like update-rc.d tightened up on
sysv script requirements as I don't remember getting those messages back
then, Anyway, it's easy to remedy. All you need is a section like the
following under #!/bin/sh in /etc/init.d/martian

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: martian_modem
# Required-Start:
# Required-Stop:
# Should-Start:
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: martian modem driver
### END INIT INFO

By the time it starts everything that martian_modem requires to work
should already be running, so the Required/Should values are left blank.

Lastly, since you're having to restart the daemon in order to use efax,
there could be an issue with efax trying to lock /dev/ttySM0 but can't.
Check /var/lock and see if wvdial/gnome-ppp left a stale lock when it
closed.

--
sktsee

Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 PM
NoOp

On 07/14/2011 12:17 PM, sktsee wrote:
> The following line should read exactly:
> $ sudo update-rc.d martian start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6 .

$ sudo update-rc.d martian start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6 .
[sudo] password for gg:
update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword
'required-start'

update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword
'required-stop'

update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/martian missing LSB keyword 'default-stop'

update-rc.d: warning: martian stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not
match LSB Default-Stop values (none)
Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/martian ...
/etc/rc0.d/K55martian -> ../init.d/martian
/etc/rc1.d/K55martian -> ../init.d/martian
/etc/rc6.d/K55martian -> ../init.d/martian
/etc/rc2.d/S45martian -> ../init.d/martian
/etc/rc3.d/S45martian -> ../init.d/martian
/etc/rc4.d/S45martian -> ../init.d/martian
/etc/rc5.d/S45martian -> ../init.d/martian

> As far as the warnings go, it looks like update-rc.d tightened up on
> sysv script requirements as I don't remember getting those messages back
> then, Anyway, it's easy to remedy. All you need is a section like the
> following under #!/bin/sh in /etc/init.d/martian
>
> ### BEGIN INIT INFO
> # Provides: martian_modem
> # Required-Start:
> # Required-Stop:
> # Should-Start:
> # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
> # Default-Stop: 0 1 6
> # Short-Description: martian modem driver
> ### END INIT INFO

Do I leave in:
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: martian_modem
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Short-Description: martian_modem
# Author: Stefan Puch
# Adjustments for 2006/11 release A. Chentsov
### END INIT INFO

> By the time it starts everything that martian_modem requires to work
> should already be running, so the Required/Should values are left blank.
>
> Lastly, since you're having to restart the daemon in order to use efax,
> there could be an issue with efax trying to lock /dev/ttySM0 but can't.
> Check /var/lock and see if wvdial/gnome-ppp left a stale lock when it
> closed.

No stale lock. And gnome-ppp has the same issue:
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot open /dev/ttySM0: Permission denied

Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 PM
NoOp

On 07/14/2011 12:17 PM, sktsee wrote:
> By the time it starts everything that martian_modem requires to work
> should already be running, so the Required/Should values are left blank.
>
> Lastly, since you're having to restart the daemon in order to use efax,
> there could be an issue with efax trying to lock /dev/ttySM0 but can't.
> Check /var/lock and see if wvdial/gnome-ppp left a stale lock when it
> closed.

I wonder if the issue is:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/martian status
martian_modem (PID 2818) is running...
$ sudo /etc/init.d/martian-modem status
martian-modem is RUNNING using process id 2143.

martian_modem is running and martian-modem is running. Should they both
be running at the same time?