Old 02-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Wade Smart

Default Plugged in subwoofer and lost all sound

A friend gave me his older Altec Lancing subwoofer
after getting a new one. I plugged it into my sub port
but had no sound. I went to Sound Preferences and
under the hardware tab, highlighted my Internal
Audio card and in the Settings for the selected device
below changed from Analog Stereo Duplex to
Analog Surround 5.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input.
Nothing happened. After trying several of the choices
I lost sound all together.

I rebooted and noticed I heard the ubuntu start up
sound. I went back into the Sound Preferences and
under Sound Effects under Sound Theme I changed
from Ubuntu to No sound and back, I can hear the
sounds there. But when you try to play youtube or
or a cd or anything else with sound - there is no
sound at all.

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Old 02-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Ric Moore

A friend gave me his older Altec Lancing subwoofer
after getting a new one. I plugged it into my sub port
but had no sound. I went to Sound Preferences and
under the hardware tab, highlighted my Internal
Audio card and in the Settings for the selected device
below changed from Analog Stereo Duplex to
Analog Surround 5.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input.
Nothing happened. After trying several of the choices
I lost sound all together.

I rebooted and noticed I heard the ubuntu start up
sound. I went back into the Sound Preferences and
under Sound Effects under Sound Theme I changed
from Ubuntu to No sound and back, I can hear the
sounds there. But when you try to play youtube or
or a cd or anything else with sound - there is no
sound at all.

Do alsmixer first. Then the pulse audio pavucontrol second. It should be
detected. Is that woofer self powered? Or is it just a speaker in an
enclosure? If the rest of your speakers are self powered (built in amp)
then the woofer would probably have to be as well ...but I'm guessing
there. My computer with the MSI motherboard won't auto select it's
builtin audio outs to pre-amp mode. It's trying to power my speakers
like they have no amps and buzzes like crazy. POS. No problems with the
same surround sound set up with my ASUS board. Ric

Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> A friend gave me his older Altec Lancing subwoofer
> after getting a new one. I plugged it into my sub port
> but had no sound. I went to Sound Preferences and
> under the hardware tab, highlighted my Internal
> Audio card and in the Settings for the selected device
> below changed from Analog Stereo Duplex to
> Analog Surround 5.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input.
> Nothing happened. After trying several of the choices
> I lost sound all together.
>
> I rebooted and noticed I heard the ubuntu start up
> sound. I went back into the Sound Preferences and
> under Sound Effects under Sound Theme I changed
> from Ubuntu to No sound and back, I can hear the
> sounds there. But when you try to play youtube or
> or a cd or anything else with sound - there is no
> sound at all.

Can you change it back to Analog Stereo Duplex? Does it work?

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Wade Smart

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 14:30, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/20/2012 02:09 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
>>
>> A friend gave me his older Altec Lancing subwoofer
>> after getting a new one. I plugged it into my sub port
>> but had no sound. I went to Sound Preferences and
>> under the hardware tab, highlighted my Internal
>> Audio card and in the Settings for the selected device
>> below changed from Analog Stereo Duplex to
>> Analog Surround 5.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input.
>> Nothing happened. After trying several of the choices
>> I lost sound all together.
>>
>> I rebooted and noticed I heard the ubuntu start up
>> sound. I went back into the Sound Preferences and
>> under Sound Effects under Sound Theme I changed
>> from Ubuntu to No sound and back, I can hear the
>> sounds there. But when you try to play youtube or
>> or a cd or anything else with sound - there is no
>> sound at all.
>

> Do alsmixer first. Then the pulse audio pavucontrol second. It should be
> detected. Is that woofer self powered? Or is it just a speaker in an
> enclosure? If the rest of your speakers are self powered (built in amp) then
> the woofer would probably have to be as well ...but I'm guessing there. My
> computer with the MSI motherboard won't auto select it's builtin audio outs
> to pre-amp mode. It's trying to power my speakers like they have no amps and
> buzzes like crazy. POS. No problems with the same surround sound set up with
> my ASUS board. Ric

It is self powered.
I unplugged the sub, restarted my computer, chose
Analog Surround 4.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input
and my normal speakers worked again.
However, the sub is not working.

I have a Shuttle pc and some older posts in various
forums say they got theirs running but... it didnt say
how.

In out Sound preferences Output tab for Internal Sound
the settings show a Subwoofer and its set to max through
there is no sound at all.

I installed alsamixer. It doesnt show anything for the sub.
I installed pavucontrol and it crashes almost immediately
with "Connection failed: Connection Terminated". It does
show the sub and its set to 94% default with the other
speakers.

Oh, Im on Ubuntu 10.04.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Wade Smart

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 14:51, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 14:30, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 02/20/2012 02:09 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
>>>
>>> A friend gave me his older Altec Lancing subwoofer
>>> after getting a new one. I plugged it into my sub port
>>> but had no sound. I went to Sound Preferences and
>>> under the hardware tab, highlighted my Internal
>>> Audio card and in the Settings for the selected device
>>> below changed from Analog Stereo Duplex to
>>> Analog Surround 5.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input.
>>> Nothing happened. After trying several of the choices
>>> I lost sound all together.
>>>
>>> I rebooted and noticed I heard the ubuntu start up
>>> sound. I went back into the Sound Preferences and
>>> under Sound Effects under Sound Theme I changed
>>> from Ubuntu to No sound and back, I can hear the
>>> sounds there. But when you try to play youtube or
>>> or a cd or anything else with sound - there is no
>>> sound at all.
>>

>> Do alsmixer first. Then the pulse audio pavucontrol second. It should be
>> detected. Is that woofer self powered? Or is it just a speaker in an
>> enclosure? If the rest of your speakers are self powered (built in amp) then
>> the woofer would probably have to be as well ...but I'm guessing there. My
>> computer with the MSI motherboard won't auto select it's builtin audio outs
>> to pre-amp mode. It's trying to power my speakers like they have no amps and
>> buzzes like crazy. POS. No problems with the same surround sound set up with
>> my ASUS board. Ric
>>

>> --
>
> It is self powered.
> I unplugged the sub, restarted my computer, chose
> Analog Surround 4.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input
> and my normal speakers worked again.
> However, the sub is not working.
>
> I have a Shuttle pc and some older posts in various
> forums say they got theirs running but... it didnt say
> how.
>
> In out Sound preferences Output tab for Internal Sound
> the settings show a Subwoofer and its set to max through
> there is no sound at all.
>
> I installed alsamixer. It doesnt show anything for the sub.
> I installed pavucontrol and it crashes almost immediately
> with "Connection failed: Connection Terminated". It does
> show the sub and its set to 94% default with the other
> speakers.
>
> Oh, Im on Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005

After that error was produced I lost sound and couldnt get it
going again so I rebooted and its now working but without the
sub still.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Ric Moore

[...]

In alsamixer, check to see if anything is muted (MM) and if so hit the m
key to toggle it on (OO). Then set the volume level to around 85% (up
arrow). Pulse can't see it if alsa is blocking it. Also, clear to the
right side of the alsamixer options is "channel" ... select something
larger than just stereo using your up/down arrows. Alsa must tell pulse
what you're dealing with and be set correctly.

Make sure the woofer is already plugged in when you reboot. If you just
have one set of stereo speakers, plus the woofer, then you have 2.1
sound. But, I don't see a configuration for that spec in pavucontrol.
Again something greater than stereo plus .1 .

You DO have the woofer turned on, volume up about half way by it's
controls, plugged in, etc.? I've made that mistake ~more~ than once. If
you have the system manual it should tell you where to plug it in, so
you're not plugging into an input jack. It OUGHT to work! <grins> Ric

Old 02-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Wade Smart

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 15:54, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/20/2012 03:51 PM, Wade Smart wrote:

>>> Do alsmixer first. Then the pulse audio pavucontrol second. It should be
>>> detected. Is that woofer self powered? Or is it just a speaker in an
>>> enclosure? If the rest of your speakers are self powered (built in amp)
>>> then
>>> the woofer would probably have to be as well ...but I'm guessing there.
>>> My
>>> computer with the MSI motherboard won't auto select it's builtin audio
>>> outs
>>> to pre-amp mode. It's trying to power my speakers like they have no amps
>>> and
>>> buzzes like crazy. POS. No problems with the same surround sound set up
>>> with
>>> my ASUS board. Ric
>>>

>>> --
>>

>> It is self powered.
>> I unplugged the sub, restarted my computer, chose
>> Analog Surround 4.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input
>> and my normal speakers worked again.
>> However, the sub is not working.
>>
>> I have a Shuttle pc and some older posts in various
>> forums say they got theirs running but... it didnt say
>> how.
>>
>> In out Sound preferences Output tab for Internal Sound
>> the settings show a Subwoofer and its set to max through
>> there is no sound at all.
>>
>> I installed alsamixer. It doesnt show anything for the sub.
>> I installed pavucontrol and it crashes almost immediately
>> with "Connection failed: Connection Terminated". It does
>> show the sub and its set to 94% default with the other
>> speakers.
>

> In alsamixer, check to see if anything is muted (MM) and if so hit the m key
> to toggle it on (OO). Then set the volume level to around 85% (up arrow).
> Pulse can't see it if alsa is blocking it. Also, clear to the right side of
> the alsamixer options is "channel" ... select something larger than just
> stereo using your up/down arrows. Alsa must tell pulse what you're dealing
> with and be set correctly.
>
> Make sure the woofer is already plugged in when you reboot. If you just have
> one set of stereo speakers, plus the woofer, then you have 2.1 sound. But, I
> don't see a configuration for that spec in pavucontrol. Again something
> greater than stereo plus .1 .
>
> You DO have the woofer turned on, volume up about half way by it's controls,
> plugged in, etc.? I've made that mistake ~more~ than once. If you have the
> system manual it should tell you where to plug it in, so you're not plugging
> into an input jack. It OUGHT to work! <grins> Ric

The only thing muted is Line in, Mic, Mic Boos, Beep,
Aux, Capture, Capture.

Ive unmuted them all and still, no sound - from the bass.

There is no channel though.

From the left to right:
Maser, PCM, Front, Surround, Center, LFE, Side,
Line, Mic, Mic Boos, Beep , Aux, Capture, Capture.

There are three tabs at the top: Realtek ALC888,
USB Mixer, ATI R6xx HDMI.

On the sub itself, there is no on button, no volume
button. On the left side is the power cord and three
plugins. Left, Right & Input. The left plug looks like a small
RCA plug, the Right looks like a svideo plug and Input
has the green audio cable plugged into it.

I still cant start pavucontrol without it crashing and
removing all sound.

Wade

Old 02-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Ric Moore

On the sub itself, there is no on button, no volume
button. On the left side is the power cord and three
plugins. Left, Right& Input. The left plug looks like a small
RCA plug, the Right looks like a svideo plug and Input
has the green audio cable plugged into it.

Got a make and model number? That "input" jack might be for a mike? Ric

Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Wade Smart

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:36, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/20/2012 05:24 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
>
>> On the sub itself, there is no on button, no volume
>> button. On the left side is the power cord and three
>> plugins. Left, Right& *Input. The left plug looks like a small
>>
>> RCA plug, the Right looks like a svideo plug and Input
>> has the green audio cable plugged into it.
>

> Got a make and model number? That "input" jack might be for a mike? Ric

Oddly there isnt much on this sub:
ATP3 and 0610 FMW0049040

Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Wade Smart

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:48, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 16:36, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 02/20/2012 05:24 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
>>
>>> On the sub itself, there is no on button, no volume
>>> button. On the left side is the power cord and three
>>> plugins. Left, Right& *Input. The left plug looks like a small
>>>
>>> RCA plug, the Right looks like a svideo plug and Input
>>> has the green audio cable plugged into it.
>>

>> Got a make and model number? That "input" jack might be for a mike? Ric
>>

>> --
>
> Oddly there isnt much on this sub:
> ATP3 and 0610 FMW0049040
>
> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005

http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/altec-lansing-atp3/4505-3179_7-1587363.html

Crap! It looks like this one.
I do not have those two little ones - which have a on and off button on them.