Old 02-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Default Ubuntu certified hardwa not enough information

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using the Ubuntu Certified Hardware tool to find a new laptop:
> http://www.ubuntu.com/certification
>
> This tool does not provide any information regarding memory,
> processor, screen size, screen finish, wifi capability, price, or
> other items of interest to a laptop buyer. Should I file a bug, write
> to Canonical, ask on Ubuntu-devel, anywhere else? I would even be
> willing to be the one to go out and find the missing info so long as
> it will be incorporated into the site.

My experience is that almost all laptops work with Ubuntu. I would
suggest Toshiba.

If the laptop is new, probably not everything in laptop will work out
of the box. You will have to wait for the next Ubuntu version, of the
one that exists the time you got the laptop.

This has happened to all home user new laptop cases I know.

The Certified Hardware is about computers used in Enterprise, not for
home users.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Alan Pope

Old 02-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 17:34, Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
> My experience is that almost all laptops work with Ubuntu. I would
> suggest Toshiba.

My experience is video card and wifi problems. I've done about 20-25
Ubuntu installs, including laptops, for other students, neighbours,
and associates.

> If the laptop is new, probably not everything in laptop will work out
> of the box. You will have to wait for the next Ubuntu version, of the
> one that exists the time you got the laptop.

Thanks. This is good to keep in mind.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 02-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 18:40, Alan Pope <alan.pope@canonical.com> wrote:
> Have you also looked at Ubuntu friendly?
>
> https://friendly.ubuntu.com/

Yes. It seems to be decent for checking the specs of laptops that I am
considering, but it is useless for trying to find an appropriate
laptop. I suppose that I will have to use it the way that it was
intended!

> https://launchpad.net/certify-web -> Click "Report Bug"

Thanks, Alan, I will make a suggestion there. Have a great week!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 02-20-2012, 05:53 PM

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:27, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using the Ubuntu Certified Hardware tool to find a new laptop:
> http://www.ubuntu.com/certification

It's not designed to be used as a shopping cart. It IS designed to be
used as a list of specific models that a given vendor has paid
Canonical to certify. The general idea (and you'll see this is true
of pretty much all certification sites) is that you decide you want a
laptop and you want to run Version 123 of OperatingSystem. SO you go
to the website, you find the systems that are certified with version
123 of OperatingSystem. Now you have a list to start shopping from.
From that point you can start looking up models on the various vendors
websites

> This tool does not provide any information regarding memory,
True, but should it? It's not a shopping cart and the assumption is
that if the memory didn't work, it wouldn't be certified in the first
place. And generally, memory is memory is memory. That's different
than something like a Sound card or GPU that relies on specific
drivers.

> processor,

If you look at any system listed on the certification site, you'll see
exactly what processor the certified system contained. For example:
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201103-7380
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II Neo K125 Processor

> screen size, screen finish,

These are things you have to get from the manufacturer.

> wifi capability,
Again, every system that has a wifi card will display that
information. Using a different system than above:
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201010-6637
Network Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6200

And if you want to know exactly what is tested:
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/test-suite

Which is linked from the info boxes on the side of pretty much every
page (albeit not terribly clearly, that needs to be corrected).

> price, or other items of interest to a laptop buyer.
None of which Canonical controls or has any business mentioning. They
are not a reseller for Dell, Lenovo, HP, Toshiba, Etc... they simply
publish a list of hardware from those companies that have been tested
and certified with a given version of Ubuntu. Plus, the price for a
given model will change drastically depending on your geographic
location. The same Dell system sold in the US may cost 3/4 as much in
the UK and 2x as much in Taiwan. OR, the model you see listed may
ONLY be sold in China or Australia. Computer companies are fickle
like that...

> Should I file a bug, write
> to Canonical, ask on Ubuntu-devel, anywhere else? I would even be
> willing to be the one to go out and find the missing info so long as
> it will be incorporated into the site.

You are always welcome to file bugs... in fact, I'd particularly file
one about the text for the test suite link not being clear enough.
However, the other things you mentioned are either already provided or
are not things that should be provided by an Operating System company.

And just to show that this is not a Canonical/Ubuntu thing...

check out listings at the following places:

hardware.redhat.com
http://developer.novell.com/yessearch/Search.jsp

and good luck trying to find even that much from Microsoft...

Also, Ubuntu Friendly was mentioned earlier, and if a given system
you're looking at is not listed as "Certified" it may well be listed
there... and I'd encourage all of you to run the Ubuntu Friendly tests
and submit your systems... the more the merrier, and the data you
submit could well help other people who are looking for a system that
is known to work with Ubuntu.

In any case, I get where your coming from, but the OS end shouldn't be
the first place you start. Instead, you should decide what you want:

I want a 15 inch laptop, minimum 4GB ram, minimum 500GB HDD, DVD-RW.

Next, look for models that fit your criteria. Then from that last of
systems find out how many are certified, how many appear on Ubuntu
Friendly and if that fails, appear on the internet at all in some form
(maybe a post on the user forums about the system saying "Yes it
works" or "It doesn't work because SOMEWIDGET doesn't work".

At least that's how I've always done it, so YMMV. But I don't ever
start with "I must run X so I need to find Y" I always start with an
idea of how powerful I need a system to be, then work from there.
Seems to me it's easier to start from a list of 15 systems and THEN
determine OS compatibility than start off with a list of 214 systems
and try narrowing down from that based on hardware requirements.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 PM
David Fletcher

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 19:27 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Yes. It seems to be decent for checking the specs of laptops that I am
> considering, but it is useless for trying to find an appropriate
> laptop. I suppose that I will have to use it the way that it was
> intended!

I asked my local LUG about netbooks they'd recommend. I bought a Toshiba
NB520 from an ebay vendor because like this ancient Satellite that's
still working, it's got a panel in the base that can be removed with a
screwdriver to give very easy access to both the memory and the hard
drive.

I'm waiting for a memory upgrade and a replacement hard drive so that I
can physically remove the drive with microsoft on it. So, I've been
playing with 12.04 on a flash drive, but found that WiFi works just
fine, as does the SD card socket, and 12.04 also appears to know what to
do with the built in bluetooth although I've not tried to play with that
one yet.

So, I'd say decide what features you especially want such as easy access
to the hard drive, and ask your local LUG.

Dave

Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:39 PM, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 19:27 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> Yes. It seems to be decent for checking the specs of laptops that I am
>> considering, but it is useless for trying to find an appropriate
>> laptop. I suppose that I will have to use it the way that it was
>> intended!
>
> I asked my local LUG about netbooks they'd recommend. I bought a Toshiba
> NB520 from an ebay vendor because like this ancient Satellite that's
> still working, it's got a panel in the base that can be removed with a
> screwdriver to give very easy access to both the memory and the hard
> drive.
>
> I'm waiting for a memory upgrade and a replacement hard drive so that I
> can physically remove the drive with microsoft on it. So, I've been
> playing with 12.04 on a flash drive, but found that WiFi works just
> fine, as does the SD card socket, and 12.04 also appears to know what to
> do with the built in bluetooth although I've not tried to play with that
> one yet.
>
> So, I'd say decide what features you especially want such as easy access
> to the hard drive, and ask your local LUG.

Keep in mind that memory can be tricky. Here is my case of 2 laptops.
Each had 2 DIMMS DDR2 RAM. Running memtest86+ on them went OK.

Then I swapped their RAMs, and memtest86+ was finding errors on both laptops.

Switched back RAMs, and memtest86+ was running OK on both of them. I
hadn't seen something like this on desktops, ever.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 AM
David Fletcher

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 17:27 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I am using the Ubuntu Certified Hardware tool to find a new laptop:

If it's big enough/suitable for your needs, may I recommend a Toshiba
NB520? I've got the -11V version.

I don't know where to get these from apart from ebay, but mine was brand
new with the manufacturer's seal on the box, delivered about 23 hours
after placing my order.

Upgrading is really easy - you just turn it over and take out two screws
from the bottom which releases a cover panel. There you have the HDD,
memory and should you need access to it for any reason, the WiFi card. I
replaced the HDD which I thought would be the best way to eradicate MS
from my computer whilst still able to put it back as sold in case I need
to make a warranty claim, and maxed out the RAM from Crucial. If this
takes you more than five minutes you're wasting valuable drinking
time :-)

I decided to try 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04. It puts up a software error
message from time to time which I suppose is to be expected, but
otherwise everything I need to use is working:-
WiFi
Speakers
Mouse pad (has 2 finger scrolling which I really like)
SD card socket (this never worked on my Satellite)
USB sockets
BlueTooth appears to be working - it paired to my Nokia 6230i but I have
no use for it at present

I've never had the need to use a camera or the microphone, but the
camera was used to take my mug shot during installation so I guess
Ubuntu knows how to drive it.

Hope this helps somebody.

Dave