Old 02-20-2012, 08:04 AM
David Fletcher

Default Password wallet in 12.04

I'm a bit concerned about the password wallet in 12.04. ATM I'm running
Maverick on everything, using gpass for keeping my passwords, having
spent some time transferring them from kwallet in the process of giving
up on KDE.

Until I get a replacement HDD for the NB520 I just bought, I'm having a
play with 12.04 by booting it from a flash drive. The software search
shows up other applications that I use but not gpass. For example, if I
type "genealogy" it comes up with the gramps application but if I type
in "wallet" it only produces kwallet.

What's happening with gpass?

Dave

Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Colin Law

On 20 February 2012 09:04, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
> I'm a bit concerned about the password wallet in 12.04. ATM I'm running
> Maverick on everything, using gpass for keeping my passwords, having
> spent some time transferring them from kwallet in the process of giving
> up on KDE.
>
> Until I get a replacement HDD for the NB520 I just bought, I'm having a
> play with 12.04 by booting it from a flash drive. The software search
> shows up other applications that I use but not gpass. For example, if I
> type "genealogy" it comes up with the gramps application but if I type
> in "wallet" it only produces kwallet.
>
> What's happening with gpass?

Looking at the home page [1] I see that the "Latest News" is dated
March 2006 which does not bode well for the future of this app.

I use KeePassX which I find excellent for my purposes, though I see
from their home page [2] that the latest news is 2010 so perhaps there
is something more current.

[1] http://projects.netlab.jp/gpass/
[2] http://www.keepassx.org/

Colin

Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 AM
David Fletcher

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 09:54 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 20 February 2012 09:04, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
> >
> > What's happening with gpass?
>
> Looking at the home page [1] I see that the "Latest News" is dated
> March 2006 which does not bode well for the future of this app.
>
> I use KeePassX which I find excellent for my purposes, though I see
> from their home page [2] that the latest news is 2010 so perhaps there
> is something more current.
>
> [1] http://projects.netlab.jp/gpass/
> [2] http://www.keepassx.org/
>
> Colin

There's another password manager called Revelation which is in the repos
for both Maverick (10.04?) and 12.04. So maybe that's a good one to go
for.

The annoying thing is, I've spent quite a while copying the entries from
kwallet to gpass and now I'm going to have to do it all over again. I
chose gpass in the first place because it has a free form text entry
that lets me record extra details - for instance many banking web sites
now have two levels of passwords plus there are things like Verified by
Visa for associated credit cards that need extra passwords that are not
accommodated by Revelation unless perhaps I create extra entries for
these.

Dave

Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Colin Law

On 23 February 2012 10:00, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 09:54 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 20 February 2012 09:04, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > What's happening with gpass?
>>
>> Looking at the home page [1] I see that the "Latest News" is dated
>> March 2006 which does not bode well for the future of this app.
>>
>> I use KeePassX which I find excellent for my purposes, though I see
>> from their home page [2] that the latest news is 2010 so perhaps there
>> is something more current.
>>
>> [1] http://projects.netlab.jp/gpass/
>> [2] http://www.keepassx.org/
>>
>> Colin
>>

> There's another password manager called Revelation which is in the repos
> for both Maverick (10.04?) and 12.04. So maybe that's a good one to go
> for.
>
> The annoying thing is, I've spent quite a while copying the entries from
> kwallet to gpass and now I'm going to have to do it all over again. I
> chose gpass in the first place because it has a free form text entry
> that lets me record extra details - for instance many banking web sites
> now have two levels of passwords plus there are things like Verified by
> Visa for associated credit cards that need extra passwords that are not
> accommodated by Revelation unless perhaps I create extra entries for
> these.

I agree that a free format text field is essential. Keepassx has
this, so I hope it will continue to be available for some time.

Colin

Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 AM
David Fletcher

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 10:14 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> I agree that a free format text field is essential. Keepassx has
> this, so I hope it will continue to be available for some time.
>
> Colin

Feature request to whoever maintains Revelation, perhaps?

Dave