Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Mark Widdicombe

Default IM client compatible with MS Lync?

Good day all,

My company has a new communications policy in terms of which we are
required to use MS Lync instead of email for office communication.
I've been trying to get a client to work in Ububtu 10.04, but without
success. Empathy does not have the option for office communicator
client and I keep getting a "Wrong password" error when trying to
connect with Pidgen, despite having configured it according to
instructions. Has anyone on the list managed to successfully connect
to MS Lync? And if so, how?

Regards,
Mark Widdicombe

Old 02-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Ric Moore

My company has a new communications policy in terms of which we are
required to use MS Lync instead of email for office communication.
I've been trying to get a client to work in Ububtu 10.04, but without
success. Empathy does not have the option for office communicator
client and I keep getting a "Wrong password" error when trying to
connect with Pidgen, despite having configured it according to
instructions. Has anyone on the list managed to successfully connect
to MS Lync? And if so, how?

Did you read this?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sipe/forums/forum/688534/topic/4705138

Seems it is the great debate over why it fails and what to do among the
sipe crowd. Sounds like a bleeding nightmare getting the correct handshakes.

One guy writes: "We use MS Office Comunicator at work. I have managed to
get pidgin to talk to it after installing the SIPE plugin. YMMV. Good luck."

Let us know if that helps. Ric

Old 02-20-2012, 01:54 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Mark Widdicombe
<markwiddicombe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good day all,
>
> My company has a new communications policy in terms of which we are
> required to use MS Lync instead of email for office communication.
> I've been trying to get a client to work in Ububtu 10.04, but without
> success. *Empathy does not have the option for office communicator
> client and I keep getting a "Wrong password" error when trying to
> connect with Pidgen, despite having configured it according to
> instructions. *Has anyone on the list managed to successfully connect
> to MS Lync? *And if so, how?

Give a try to what others suggested. Also keep in mind that, when
everything else fails, you have got virtualisation.

VirtualBox is very lightweight. I am using it in a 400 euro on 2 years
ago - laptop with 1 hard disk, with no issues.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

My company has a new communications policy in terms of which we are
required to use MS Lync instead of email for office communication.
I've been trying to get a client to work in Ububtu 10.04, but without
success. Empathy does not have the option for office communicator
client and I keep getting a "Wrong password" error when trying to
connect with Pidgen, despite having configured it according to
instructions. Has anyone on the list managed to successfully connect
to MS Lync? And if so, how?

Regards,
Mark Widdicombe

I've got Pidgin working with it, on 11.10. Installed the SIPE plugin. I
have the username as my email address, and the Login as
domaindomain-username...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:39 AM
Mark Widdicombe

Thanks to all who replied. It looks as though the athentication
problem hasn't been solved, so I'll be forced to run Windows at work.

Regards,
Mark

Old 02-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Ioannis Vranos

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 6:39 AM, Mark Widdicombe
<markwiddicombe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to all who replied. *It looks as though the athentication
> problem hasn't been solved, so I'll be forced to run Windows at work.

or under the free VirtualBox.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Mark Widdicombe

On 21 February 2012 14:04, Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 6:39 AM, Mark Widdicombe
> <markwiddicombe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks to all who replied. *It looks as though the athentication
>> problem hasn't been solved, so I'll be forced to run Windows at work.
>
> or under the free VirtualBox.

That isn't an option here. I have to use their PC with their Windows
install. They allowed me to use Ubuntu, provided I could access all
the applications that are required here (or come up with a
work-around). That is no longer true, so I have to go back to their
PC.