FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Knute Johnson
 
Default cron running at odd times?

Anybody have any idea why my one of my cron.daily scripts would get run
an extra time 10+ hours late? I did notice that it missed one run of
this script a few days ago.


Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-20-2012, 02:14 AM
Ioannis Vranos
 
Default cron running at odd times?

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Knute Johnson <ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:
> Anybody have any idea why my one of my cron.daily scripts would get run an
> extra time 10+ hours late? *I did notice that it missed one run of this
> script a few days ago.

Based on what I have read about cron, you should edit your
user-specific cron entries with the crontab command.

That is, you may open a terminal as root and type

crontab

there you may enter your cron entries.


--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-20-2012, 03:53 AM
Knute Johnson
 
Default cron running at odd times?

On 2/19/2012 7:14 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Knute Johnson<ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:

Anybody have any idea why my one of my cron.daily scripts would get run an
extra time 10+ hours late? I did notice that it missed one run of this
script a few days ago.


Based on what I have read about cron, you should edit your
user-specific cron entries with the crontab command.

That is, you may open a terminal as root and type

crontab

there you may enter your cron entries.




This is the system /etc/cron.daily folder. You can't put a script in
there that you want run as root every day?


--

Knute Johnson

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-20-2012, 04:19 AM
Knute Johnson
 
Default cron running at odd times?

On 2/19/2012 8:53 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:

On 2/19/2012 7:14 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Knute
Johnson<ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:

Anybody have any idea why my one of my cron.daily scripts would get
run an
extra time 10+ hours late? I did notice that it missed one run of this
script a few days ago.


Based on what I have read about cron, you should edit your
user-specific cron entries with the crontab command.

That is, you may open a terminal as root and type

crontab

there you may enter your cron entries.




This is the system /etc/cron.daily folder. You can't put a script in
there that you want run as root every day?



More searching through the logs, I ran aptitude at that second and my
apache web server stopped at that exact time too.


--

Knute Johnson

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Adam Funk
 
Default cron running at odd times?

On 2012-02-20, Knute Johnson wrote:

> On 2/19/2012 7:14 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Knute Johnson<ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:
>>> Anybody have any idea why my one of my cron.daily scripts would get run an
>>> extra time 10+ hours late? I did notice that it missed one run of this
>>> script a few days ago.
>>
>> Based on what I have read about cron, you should edit your
>> user-specific cron entries with the crontab command.
>>
>> That is, you may open a terminal as root and type
>>
>> crontab
>>
>> there you may enter your cron entries.
>>
>>
>
> This is the system /etc/cron.daily folder. You can't put a script in
> there that you want run as root every day?

Is it possible the computer was off during the usual cron.daily time
and anacron ran it later?


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Knute Johnson
 
Default cron running at odd times?

On 2/20/2012 4:29 AM, Adam Funk wrote:

On 2012-02-20, Knute Johnson wrote:


On 2/19/2012 7:14 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Knute Johnson<ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:

Anybody have any idea why my one of my cron.daily scripts would get run an
extra time 10+ hours late? I did notice that it missed one run of this
script a few days ago.


Based on what I have read about cron, you should edit your
user-specific cron entries with the crontab command.

That is, you may open a terminal as root and type

crontab

there you may enter your cron entries.




This is the system /etc/cron.daily folder. You can't put a script in
there that you want run as root every day?


Is it possible the computer was off during the usual cron.daily time
and anacron ran it later?




It's on a server, it never gets shut off.

--

Knute Johnson

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Adam Funk
 
Default cron running at odd times?

On 2012-02-20, Knute Johnson wrote:

> On 2/20/2012 4:29 AM, Adam Funk wrote:
>> On 2012-02-20, Knute Johnson wrote:

>>> This is the system /etc/cron.daily folder. You can't put a script in
>>> there that you want run as root every day?
>>
>> Is it possible the computer was off during the usual cron.daily time
>> and anacron ran it later?
>>
>>
>
> It's on a server, it never gets shut off.

OK, the only other thing I can think of is this: I'm fairly sure the
scripts in /etc/cron.daily are run in alphabetical order (starting
with the numbers). Maybe the script before your custom one is (for
some strange reason) occasionally taking a long time to complete?

(HTH)


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Knute Johnson
 
Default cron running at odd times?

On 2/20/2012 1:11 PM, Adam Funk wrote:

On 2012-02-20, Knute Johnson wrote:


On 2/20/2012 4:29 AM, Adam Funk wrote:

On 2012-02-20, Knute Johnson wrote:



This is the system /etc/cron.daily folder. You can't put a script in
there that you want run as root every day?


Is it possible the computer was off during the usual cron.daily time
and anacron ran it later?




It's on a server, it never gets shut off.


OK, the only other thing I can think of is this: I'm fairly sure the
scripts in /etc/cron.daily are run in alphabetical order (starting
with the numbers). Maybe the script before your custom one is (for
some strange reason) occasionally taking a long time to complete?

(HTH)




That could be. My script is alphabetically the last script. The thing
is it wasn't just delayed, it ran an extra time at the odd hour. Or
maybe it was delayed from two days before, I don't know. Anyway, it
hasn't done it again so maybe it was just some crazy blib.


--

Knute Johnson

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Adam Funk
 
Default cron running at odd times?

On 2012-02-21, Knute Johnson wrote:

> On 2/20/2012 1:11 PM, Adam Funk wrote:

>> OK, the only other thing I can think of is this: I'm fairly sure the
>> scripts in /etc/cron.daily are run in alphabetical order (starting
>> with the numbers). Maybe the script before your custom one is (for
>> some strange reason) occasionally taking a long time to complete?
>>
>> (HTH)
>>
>>
>
> That could be. My script is alphabetically the last script. The thing
> is it wasn't just delayed, it ran an extra time at the odd hour. Or
> maybe it was delayed from two days before, I don't know. Anyway, it
> hasn't done it again so maybe it was just some crazy blib.

Ah well, it's impossible to debug something that only happens once!

If it happens again, I think you could add invocations of the logger
command to the beginnings & ends of some of the cron.daily scripts so
that you'll get a record of exactly when they started & finished.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Christopher Sacchi
 
Default cron running at odd times?

Try crontab. It manages the cron daemon.
--Chris

Sent from my iPod

On Feb 19, 2012, at 8:07 PM, Knute Johnson <ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:

> Anybody have any idea why my one of my cron.daily scripts would get run an extra time 10+ hours late? I did notice that it missed one run of this script a few days ago.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>
> Knute Johnson
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:42 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org