Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Ren Wen shan

Default Ubuntu 12.04 problem: top panel and launch pad disappeared after compiz configuration

Hi,

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 from DVD (daily build Feb-14th) on my iMac last night and everything seems fine.

However, I activated "desktop cube" and "rotate cube" (as a result, disabled "desktop wall"), after that, top panel and launch pad suddenly disappeared.

Now I've disabled "desktop cube" and "rotate cube", but it didn't bring top panel and launch pad back.

If I log in as "Ubuntu 2D" mode, everything is fine.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Regards,
Wenshan
*

--
renws1990@gmail.com

Old 02-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2012/2/19 Ren Wen shan <renws1990@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Ubuntu 12.04 from DVD (daily build Feb-14th) on my iMac last
> night and everything seems fine.
>
> However, I activated "desktop cube" and "rotate cube" (as a result, disabled
> "desktop wall"), after that, top panel and launch pad suddenly disappeared.
> Now I've disabled "desktop cube" and "rotate cube", but it didn't bring top
> panel and launch pad back.
>
> If I log in as "Ubuntu 2D" mode, everything is fine.
>

> Does anyone have the same problem?
>

> Regards,
> Wenshan

I have Ubuntu 10.10 myself so I don't know, but maybe this link will
give you a clue (for a workaround) even though it is a bit old by now:
http://reformedmusings.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/howto-get-the-compiz-desktop-cube-in-ubuntu-11-04-natty-and-unity/

Old 02-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Colin Law

On 19 February 2012 09:35, Ren Wen shan <renws1990@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Ubuntu 12.04 from DVD (daily build Feb-14th) on my iMac last
> night and everything seems fine.
>
> However, I activated "desktop cube" and "rotate cube" (as a result, disabled
> "desktop wall"), after that, top panel and launch pad suddenly disappeared.
> Now I've disabled "desktop cube" and "rotate cube", but it didn't bring top
> panel and launch pad back.

Check in ccsm whether the unity plugin has become disabled. If so re-enable it.

If that does not help try unity --reset in a terminal.

Colin

> If I log in as "Ubuntu 2D" mode, everything is fine.
>

> Does anyone have the same problem?
>

> Regards,
> Wenshan
>

> --
> renws1990@gmail.com

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Wenshan Ren

Thank you for your replies, Johnny and Colin.
You pointed me to the right way, the problem was fixed with the help of
this link:

http://www.tuxgarage.com/2011/04/missing-top-and-side-panels-in-unity.html

Cheers,
Wenshan