Old 02-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Asif Iqbal

Default kernel module to enable usbnet

Hi All

I enabled the following modules and ifconfig -a is still showing no
usb interface.
Any idea what I am doing wrong?

root@ghar-iqbala:~# lsmod | grep usb
usbnet * * * * * * * * 26212 *4 rndis_wlan,rndis_host,cdc_eem,cdc_ether

I have a toshiba thrive connected to my ubuntu with a usb cable.

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 AM
Michael Miles

I enabled the following modules and ifconfig -a is still showing no usb
interface.
Any idea what I am doing wrong?

root@ghar-iqbala:~# lsmod | grep usb
usbnet * * * * * * * * 26212 *4 rndis_wlan,rndis_host,cdc_eem,cdc_ether

I have a toshiba thrive connected to my ubuntu with a usb cable.

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Check to make sure USB LEGACY SUPPORT is enabled in BIOS then give a go

Mike M

Old 02-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Asif Iqbal

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 2:42 AM, Michael Miles <Amiga5@live.com> wrote:

> [...]

It is enabled in the BIOS of my hp 6730b. I just verified

> Mike M

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I enabled the following modules and ifconfig -a is still showing no
> usb interface.
> Any idea what I am doing wrong?
>

> root@ghar-iqbala:~# lsmod | grep usb
> usbnet * * * * * * * * 26212 *4 rndis_wlan,rndis_host,cdc_eem,cdc_ether
>
> I have a toshiba thrive connected to my ubuntu with a usb cable.

With the hard disk plugged in, run lspci -v, and paste us the result.

Also unplug the usb drive, replug it in, run dmesg, and paste us the
last 20 lines.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Asif Iqbal

Here is the result http://paste.ubuntu.com/849017/

> --
> Ioannis Vranos
>
> http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Ioannis Vranos
> <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I enabled the following modules and ifconfig -a is still showing no
>>> usb interface.
>>> Any idea what I am doing wrong?
>>>

>>> root@ghar-iqbala:~# lsmod | grep usb
>>> usbnet * * * * * * * * 26212 *4 rndis_wlan,rndis_host,cdc_eem,cdc_ether
>>>
>>> I have a toshiba thrive connected to my ubuntu with a usb cable.
>>
>> With the hard disk plugged in, run lspci -v, and paste us the result.
>>
>> Also unplug the usb drive, replug it in, run dmesg, and paste us the
>> last 20 lines.
>>

> Here is the result http://paste.ubuntu.com/849017/

I saw "thrive" as "drive" when I first read your message. From what I
saw in your text, toshiba is recognised in your USB.

What is exactly the problem (or in other words, what you want to do,
but you can't)?

Old 02-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Asif Iqbal

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Ioannis Vranos
<ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Ioannis Vranos
>> <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> With the hard disk plugged in, run lspci -v, and paste us the result.
>>>
>>> Also unplug the usb drive, replug it in, run dmesg, and paste us the
>>> last 20 lines.
>>>

>> Here is the result http://paste.ubuntu.com/849017/
>
> I saw "thrive" as "drive" when I first read your message. From what I
> saw in your text, toshiba is recognised in your USB.
>
> What is exactly the problem (or in other words, what you want to do,
> but you can't)?

on ubuntu I like to have usb0 interface when connect the toshiba thrive

> --
> Ioannis Vranos
>
> http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Asif Iqbal

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Ioannis Vranos
> <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Here is the result http://paste.ubuntu.com/849017/
>>
>> I saw "thrive" as "drive" when I first read your message. From what I
>> saw in your text, toshiba is recognised in your USB.
>>
>> What is exactly the problem (or in other words, what you want to do,
>> but you can't)?
>
> on ubuntu I like to have usb0 interface when connect the toshiba thrive

my guess is, since I am using the mini usb on the tablet, that is why I am not
getting a usb0 on the linux side.

I guess I will need to get a USB A/A male cable and connect to the USB of
the tablet instead of mini usb.

>> --
>> Ioannis Vranos
>>
>> http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com
>>
>> --

> Asif Iqbal
> PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-20-2012, 01:38 AM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Ioannis Vranos
>> <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What is exactly the problem (or in other words, what you want to do,
>>> but you can't)?
>>
>> on ubuntu I like to have usb0 interface when connect the toshiba thrive
>
> my guess is, since I am using the mini usb on the tablet, that is why I am not
> getting a usb0 on the linux side.
>
> I guess I will need to get a USB A/A male cable and connect to the USB of
> the tablet instead of mini usb.

What do you mean with "I like to have usb0 interface when connect the
toshiba thrive"? Do you mean tethering with tablet's connection?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Asif Iqbal

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Ioannis Vranos
<ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> on ubuntu I like to have usb0 interface when connect the toshiba thrive
>>
>> my guess is, since I am using the mini usb on the tablet, that is why I am not
>> getting a usb0 on the linux side.
>>
>> I guess I will need to get a USB A/A male cable and connect to the USB of
>> the tablet instead of mini usb.
>
> What do you mean with "I like to have usb0 interface when connect the
> toshiba thrive"? Do you mean tethering with tablet's connection?

On tablet (running honeycomb)

# ifconfig usbeth0
usbeth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr E6:38:B16:96:1D
inet addr:192.168.200.1 Bcast:192.168.200.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

On ubuntu laptop (11.10 x64)

~$ ifconfig usb0
usb0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

I was hoping when I plug my usb a male to a male cable from tablet to
the laptop the ubuntu hotplug will create a usb0 network interface.

I will just give it an IP on same network to do ethernet over usb.

Then run rsync on laptop to backup my tablet.

> --
> Ioannis Vranos
>
> http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?