Old 02-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Larry Massey

Default Need Help Adding Flash

I'm brand new to Linux (and to this list) and could use some help.* I set up a 32 GB thumb (USB) drive with ubuntu 11.10 desktop to try it out.* I need to add a flash player to firefox.* Can't seem to figure out how.* What is the easiest way to do it?
Thanks much.
LJ

Old 02-18-2012, 09:51 AM
Whisperity

Welcome.

The easiest way would be using the Software Center. Search for "Flash" and check the results.
If you are more convenient with using the terminal, you can use the apt-get tool to install the package on your system. Type sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer into the terminal and hit Enter.

Whisperity.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Liam Proven

On 18 February 2012 10:46, Larry Massey <ljmassey@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm brand new to Linux (and to this list) and could use some help.* I set up
> a 32 GB thumb (USB) drive with ubuntu 11.10 desktop to try it out.* I need
> to add a flash player to firefox.* Can't seem to figure out how.* What is
> the easiest way to do it?
>
> Thanks much.

At a terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

The first 2 lines just do a global system update but this is a good idea anyway.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 02-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 February 2012 10:46, Larry Massey <ljmassey@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'm brand new to Linux (and to this list) and could use some help.* I set up
>> a 32 GB thumb (USB) drive with ubuntu 11.10 desktop to try it out.* I need
>> to add a flash player to firefox.* Can't seem to figure out how.* What is
>> the easiest way to do it?
>>
>> Thanks much.
>
> At a terminal:
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
> sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
>
> The first 2 lines just do a global system update but this is a good idea anyway.

Larry Massey, DON'T DO THIS! This will upgrade your installation to
another Ubuntu version.

Liam, you should have typed

sudo apt-get upgrade

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-18-2012, 02:18 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 16:54 +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 18 February 2012 10:46, Larry Massey <ljmassey@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> I'm brand new to Linux (and to this list) and could use some help. I set up
> >> a 32 GB thumb (USB) drive with ubuntu 11.10 desktop to try it out. I need
> >> to add a flash player to firefox. Can't seem to figure out how. What is
> >> the easiest way to do it?
> >>
> >> Thanks much.
> >
> > At a terminal:
> >
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
> > sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
> >
> > The first 2 lines just do a global system update but this is a good idea anyway.
>
> Larry Massey, DON'T DO THIS! This will upgrade your installation to
> another Ubuntu version.
>
> Liam, you should have typed
>
> sudo apt-get upgrade
>

> --
> Ioannis Vranos

Huh???? Quoting from the official Ubuntu documentation:

apt-get dist-upgrade

The same as the above, except add the "smart upgrade" checkbox.
It tells APT to use "smart" conflict resolution system,
and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages
at the expense of less important ones if necessary.

"apt-get dist-upgrade" does not perform distribution
upgrade. See
[http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
upgrading] for more information.

dist-upgrade is the *only* way to get updated kernels AFAIK. It does
not update to newly released versions from older ones.

--
pongo pan
Sat, 18 Feb 2012 07:17:01 -0800

Old 02-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Pongo A. Pan <pongo_pan@fastmail.us> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 16:54 +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > At a terminal:
>> >
>> > sudo apt-get update
>> > sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
>> > sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
>> >
>> > The first 2 lines just do a global system update but this is a good idea anyway.
>>
>> *Larry Massey, DON'T DO THIS! This will upgrade your installation to
>> another Ubuntu version.
>>
>> Liam, you should have typed
>>
>> sudo apt-get upgrade
>>
> Huh???? *Quoting from the official Ubuntu documentation:
>
> * *apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> * *The same as the above, except add the "smart upgrade" checkbox.
> * *It *tells APT to use "smart" conflict resolution system,
> * *and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages
> * *at the expense of less important ones if necessary.
>
> * *"apt-get dist-upgrade" does not perform distribution
> * *upgrade. See
> * *[http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
> * *upgrading] for more information.

You are right, my mistake.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Liam Proven

On 18 February 2012 15:18, Pongo A. Pan <pongo_pan@fastmail.us> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 16:54 +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

>> > At a terminal:
>> >
>> > sudo apt-get update
>> > sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
>> > sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
>> >
>> > The first 2 lines just do a global system update but this is a good idea anyway.
>>
>> *Larry Massey, DON'T DO THIS! This will upgrade your installation to
>> another Ubuntu version.
>>
>> Liam, you should have typed
>>
>> sudo apt-get upgrade

What?! No it doesn't!

*You* are getting your commands muddled up, Ioannis!

AIUI:

`apt-get upgrade` attempts to *individually* upgrade all the installed
packages to their latest versions, separately.

`apt-get dist-upgrade` attempts to recursively upgrade the entire
distro - the whole tree of all packages - to the latest versions as
one single interlinked operation.

Neither will attempt to change release of the distro - not even on
Debian. That will only happen if you first edit /etc/apt/sources.list
and replace the old release name with the new release name, e.g.
"lenny" to "stretch".

In Ubuntu, the command to update from one release of the distro to the next is:

`do-release-upgrade`

Totally different and pretty hard to do by mistake. Note, although it
calls apt-get, the command itself is not an invocation of apt-get or
dpkg or any packaging tool.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Larry Massey

Thanks for all the replies.
I already did the software center thing.* Got it installed.* Even figured out how to get my WiFi working on my wireless modem.* Everything was working fine, but shortly after running, when I had 3 or 4 Firefox windows opened, my laptop froze & I had to do a hard power down.* Would this be a problem with Firefox, or Ubuntu 11.10?
Thanks for all the help.
Larry

Old 02-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Larry Massey <ljmassey@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> I already did the software center thing.* Got it installed.* Even figured
> out how to get my WiFi working on my wireless modem.* Everything was working
> fine, but shortly after running, when I had 3 or 4 Firefox windows opened,
> my laptop froze & I had to do a hard power down.* Would this be a problem
> with Firefox, or Ubuntu 11.10?

It may be graphics card overheating. What is your graphics card?

Old 02-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Liam Proven

On 20 February 2012 18:10, Larry Massey <ljmassey@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> I already did the software center thing.* Got it installed.* Even figured
> out how to get my WiFi working on my wireless modem.* Everything was working
> fine, but shortly after running, when I had 3 or 4 Firefox windows opened,
> my laptop froze & I had to do a hard power down.* Would this be a problem
> with Firefox, or Ubuntu 11.10?

That kind of thing is generally, in my experience, a sign of
overheating. Have a look in your BIOS and see if there is a
temperature-monitoring screen. Is it an old, well-used computer or
fairly new?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884