Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Alexander Skwar

Default mtpfs with Galaxy Nexus ICS 4.0.3 not reliable on Ubuntu 11.10

Hello

I've got a Galaxy Nexus Android mobile phone with ICS 4.0.3 (exactly:
Android Open Kang Project - toro - build 23 [¹]). I discovered only
after having bought the phone, that it lacks the essential USB Masss
Storage mode… :/

I say it's essential, because MTP and PTP just don't work reliably on
my Ubuntu 11.10 64bit boxes. I've read the OMG! Ubuntu! post "Connect
ICS to Ubuntu" [²], but… Heck, even "mtp-detect" doesn't work so well,
eg (see [³] for complete output):

11:03:28 a.sk@ewzw032:~$ mtp-detect
libmtp version: 1.1.0

Listing raw device(s)
Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=6860) is a Samsung GT-P7510/Galaxy Tab 10.1.
Found 1 device(s):
Samsung: GT-P7510/Galaxy Tab 10.1 (04e8:6860) @ bus 1, dev 12
Attempting to connect device(s)
Error 1: Get Storage information failed.
Error 2: PTP Layer error 02fe: get_all_metadata_fast(): could not get
proplist of all objects.

Error 2: (Look this up in ptp.h for an explanation.)
Error 2: PTP Layer error 02fe: get_handles_recursively(): could not get
object handles.

Error 2: (Look this up in ptp.h for an explanation.)
USB low-level info:
Using kernel interface "usbfs"
[…]

Also, most of the time when I run "mtp-detect", it's *extremely* slow
(ie. it takes a few /minutes/ to complete).

Well… Is there anything that can be done about it, or is it just so,
that MTP (at least in combination with ICS 4.0.3 on Samsung phones)
is in a bad state? Do you have more positive results with your Galaxy
Nexus devices?

Links:

[¹] → http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1402350
[²] → http://a.pe/10v →
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/how-to-connect-your-android-ice-cream-sandwich-phone-to-ubuntu-for-file-access/

Alexander
--
☄ Google+ ↣ http://plus.skwar.me ☄
☛ Lifestream (Twitter, …) ↣ http://sup.skwar.me ☛

Old 02-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Alexander Skwar

ICS to Ubuntu" [²], but… Heck, even "mtp-detect" doesn't work so
well,

eg (see [³] for complete output):

Here's [³]… — forgot to add it in the post:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/845563/

*

Best regards,

Alexander