Old 04-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Avi Greenbury

Default installing software

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:42:59 -0500
Erin Grant <izanami007@gmail.com> wrote:

> i have been trying to install nero, and limewire pro, but every time i
> try to install i get an error message saying that i can only run one
> software management tool at a time, but i dont have anything else
> running...

Open up a root terminal, and say
ps aux | grep dpkg
and see what comes up. That'll show you all instances of the debian package management system running.
You can kill the instances with `kill <PID>' but it's more polite to do it within the app itself, if you can find it.
adept, aptitude, synaptic, apt-get, dpkg, easyubuntu and the software updater all use the above.

--
Avi Greenbury <god@lordandmaker.co.uk>

Old 06-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Jim Douglas

I have installed several packages.

Now when I click on another one to install, nothing happens.* Is this a bug?

Thanks,
Jim

Need to know now? Get instant answers with Windows Live Messenger. IM on your terms.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 21:12 +0000, Jim Douglas wrote:
> I have installed several packages.
>
> Now when I click on another one to install, nothing happens. Is this
> a bug?
----
what happens if you do this after restarting?

Craig

Old 06-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Jim Douglas

same thing...still can't install.

I even tried logging in as root...

Old 06-28-2008, 10:21 PM

Jim Douglas wrote:

same thing...still can't install.

I even tried logging in as root...

excuse me craig,

jim, how are you installing, rpm or yum? install disk or internet?

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 22:21 +0000, g wrote:
> Jim Douglas wrote:
> > same thing...still can't install.
> >
> > I even tried logging in as root...
>
> excuse me craig,
>
> jim, how are you installing, rpm or yum? install disk or internet?
----
he's obviously using package manager...he said 'click'

shouldn't make any difference logging in as root but for
curiousity...open a terminal and type...

su - # give root password
ps aux|grep yum

and tell us what is output of last command

Craig