Old 04-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Robert Holtzman

Default package installation

I installed alpine-dbg using apt-get install alpine-dbg. Everything looked
O.K. but when I ran dpkg -l alpine-dbg I got:

| Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
uppercase=bad

Can someone explain what is going on? Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
check the price of the beer"

Old 04-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Peter Garrett

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 05:41:15 -0700 (MST)
Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:

> I installed alpine-dbg using apt-get install alpine-dbg. Everything looked
> O.K. but when I ran dpkg -l alpine-dbg I got:
>
> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> uppercase=bad
>
> Can someone explain what is going on? Thanks.

That output is always there when you run dpkg -l <package>

The relevant lines follow that. and should begin with " ii " if the package
is correctly installed. So, as an example,

dpkg -l sylpheed

||/ Name Version Description
++
+-==============-==============-============================================
ii sylpheed 2.4.7-1 sylpheed is a fast mail client using gtk-2

Shows that "sylpheed" is properly installed on my machine.

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 04-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008, Peter Garrett wrote:

> That output is always there when you run dpkg -l <package>
>
> The relevant lines follow that. and should begin with " ii " if the package
> is correctly installed. So, as an example,
>
> dpkg -l sylpheed

> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name Version Description
> ++
> ii sylpheed 2.4.7-1 sylpheed is a fast mail client using gtk-2
>
> Shows that "sylpheed" is properly installed on my machine.

Thanks. This is my first debian based distro and I'm still on the learning
curve.

--
Bob Holtzman
check the price of the beer"