Old 02-15-2012, 05:01 PM

Default Can only open Libre Office from SUDO command line Attention Avi Greenbury

jim@jim64bitmintlinux1104box ~ $ libreoffice
[Java framework] Error in function createSettingsDocument (elements.cxx).
javaldx failed!
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'com::sun::star::uno::RuntimeException'
jim@jim64bitmintlinux1104box ~ $

>In the hope of also being useful to anybody else who might have this
>problem, I'm sending this reply back to ubuntu-users. Hope you don't
>mind!

Not at all, I'm assuming this will happen to someone else sooner or later.

jimmckenzie wrote:
> Lib-Off won't open any other way.

>What happens when you try? sudo should be reserved for systems
>administration tasks; if something that doesn't need administrative
>privileges (like an office suite) doesn't run without sudo that
<>doesn't mean it needs sudo, that just means it's broken We'll likely

Old 02-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 8:01 PM, <jimmckenzie@earthlink.net> wrote:
> jim@jim64bitmintlinux1104box ~ $ libreoffice
> [Java framework] Error in function createSettingsDocument (elements.cxx).
> javaldx failed!
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'com::sun::star::uno::RuntimeException'
> jim@jim64bitmintlinux1104box ~ $
>

>>In the hope of also being useful to anybody else who might have this
>>problem, I'm sending this reply back to ubuntu-users. Hope you don't
>>mind!
>
> Not at all, I'm assuming this will happen to someone else sooner or later.

Myself am not using Mint, because they provide their own
customisations, while not being an Enterprise Linux distribution (I
always prefer Enterprise-grade distributions).

I have found inconsistencies in a fresh, clean Mint installation of
mine, with the graphical Updater not showing any more updates
available, while apt-get upgrade shew many updates available.

There is a possibility they have broken something in your case. But it
is a possibility they haven't.

Try erasing all libreoffice configuration files and folders under your
home directory, and rerun LibreOffice.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-15-2012, 07:47 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 20:08 +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

<snippage of stuff about LO and java>

> Myself am not using Mint, because they provide their own
> customisations, while not being an Enterprise Linux distribution (I
> always prefer Enterprise-grade distributions).
Which mainline Ubuntu is certainly not, much less the step-children
like Kubuntu, Lubuntu, etc...

> I have found inconsistencies in a fresh, clean Mint installation of
> mine, with the graphical Updater not showing any more updates
> available, while apt-get upgrade shew many updates available.

You probably didn't understand how the Mint updater works: they have a
very paternalistic attitude towards updates and by default only show
what they consider to be class 1 to 3 updates which they have either
originated themselves or tested with their distro. Many things that
come into Ubuntu never reach Mint unless you (1) use apt or (2) enable
the "dangerous" updates in classes 4 and 5. New kernels are almost
always class 4 or 5, so most Mint users never update the kernel between
the semi-annual releases. This *probably* reduces breakage.

> There is a possibility they have broken something in your case. But it
> is a possibility they haven't.
>
> Try erasing all libreoffice configuration files and folders under your
> home directory, and rerun LibreOffice.

Or apt-get remove --purge libreoffice

--
pongo pan
Wed, 15 Feb 2012 12:42:31 -0800

Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Pongo A. Pan <pongo_pan@fastmail.us> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 20:08 +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>
> <snippage of stuff about LO and java>
>
>> Myself am not using Mint, because they provide their own
>> customisations, while not being an Enterprise Linux distribution (I
>> always prefer Enterprise-grade distributions).
>
> Which mainline Ubuntu is certainly not, much less the step-children
> like Kubuntu, Lubuntu, etc...

Actually it is:

http://www.ubuntu.com/business

>> Try erasing all libreoffice configuration files and folders under your
>> home directory, and rerun LibreOffice.
>>
> Or apt-get remove --purge libreoffice

I do not think that these two are the same. purge doesn't erase users'
preferences/data, only system-wide configurations, like configuration
files in /etc.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 00:42 +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Pongo A. Pan <pongo_pan@fastmail.us> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 20:08 +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> >

> >> Myself am not using Mint, because they provide their own
> >> customisations, while not being an Enterprise Linux distribution (I
> >> always prefer Enterprise-grade distributions).
> >
> > Which mainline Ubuntu is certainly not, much less the step-children
> > like Kubuntu, Lubuntu, etc...
>
> Actually it is:
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/business

It is hard to tell if this link refers to the newly-announced "business
remix" or the mainline Ubuntu distribution. In any case the mere claim
that Ubuntu in any flavor is an "Enterprise-grade distribution" doesn't
make it one. It doesn't have the same level of support as RHEL or the
SuSE equivalent, although Canonical would like to have us believe it
does. Canonical does not seem to have any data available on corporate
or small business adoption, so one must assume that there is little to
brag about. It's still overwhelmingly a hobbyist thing I think, with
enough bugs to make it interesting for hobbyists and scary for business.

That said, my wife's family has been using Mint for most purposes in a
small business for several years with few problems. Of course, the
principals are elderly people who also keep meticulous paper records in
two languages and check all calculations on an abacus. Not exactly
General Motors.

> >> Try erasing all libreoffice configuration files and folders under your
> >> home directory, and rerun LibreOffice.
> >>
> > Or apt-get remove --purge libreoffice
>
> I do not think that these two are the same. purge doesn't erase users'
> preferences/data, only system-wide configurations, like configuration
> files in /etc.

Yeah, you rite...

I don't know if the OP ever tried doing things as another user. This
would sort out the global/per user configuration issue.

> --
> Ioannis Vranos
>
> http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

--
pongo pan
Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:36:09 -0800
Epicurus up 1 day, 4:24, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.06

Old 02-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 1:36 AM, Pongo A. Pan <pongo_pan@fastmail.us> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 00:42 +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>
>> Actually it is:
>>
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/business
>
> It is hard to tell if this link refers to the newly-announced "business
> remix" or the mainline Ubuntu distribution.

That web address has been there for quite some time. It is not there
since Business Remix.

> *In any case the mere claim
> that Ubuntu in any flavor is an "Enterprise-grade distribution" doesn't
> make it one. *It doesn't have the same level of support as RHEL or the
> SuSE equivalent, although Canonical would like to have us believe it
> does. *Canonical does not seem to have any data available on corporate
> or small business adoption, so one must assume that there is little to
> brag about. *It's still overwhelmingly a hobbyist thing I think, with
> enough bugs to make it interesting for hobbyists and scary for business.

I am concerned myself about some cutting-edge UI experiments, like
Unity, or the upcoming HUD, on a distribution being considered
Enterprise, however I think it is an Enterprise distribution so far.

>> > Or apt-get remove --purge libreoffice
>>
>> I do not think that these two are the same. purge doesn't erase users'
>> preferences/data, only system-wide configurations, like configuration
>> files in /etc.
>
> Yeah, you rite...
>
> I don't know if the OP ever tried doing things as another user. *This
> would sort out the global/per user configuration issue.

That's a good alternative for the test I suggested (erasing user's
LibreOffice configuration files/directories).

Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:36:16 -0800
"Pongo A. Pan" <pongo_pan@fastmail.us> wrote:

> That said, my wife's family has been using Mint for most purposes in a
> small business for several years with few problems. Of course, the
> principals are elderly people who also keep meticulous paper records
> in two languages and check all calculations on an abacus. Not exactly
> General Motors.

if you really care for your wifes business, you should actually take a
look at mint's hacks to update-manager, they suppress nearly every
important security update to the system that is issued from the ubuntu
archives (kernel, xorg, dbus, bootloader fixes etc etc), i seriously
wouldnt build a business on top of it unless you know how to pull in
ubuntu security updates manually...

ciao
oli

Old 02-16-2012, 02:44 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Thu, 2012-02-16 at 11:44 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:36:16 -0800
> "Pongo A. Pan" <pongo_pan@fastmail.us> wrote:
> >
> > That said, my wife's family has been using Mint for most purposes in a
> > small business for several years with few problems. Of course, the
> > principals are elderly people who also keep meticulous paper records
> > in two languages and check all calculations on an abacus. Not exactly
> > General Motors.
> >
> if you really care for your wifes business, you should actually take a
> look at mint's hacks to update-manager, they suppress nearly every
> important security update to the system that is issued from the ubuntu
> archives (kernel, xorg, dbus, bootloader fixes etc etc), i seriously
> wouldnt build a business on top of it unless you know how to pull in
> ubuntu security updates manually...

Oh, sure. She's a very savvy retired customer engineer. She does a
great deal of hand-holding; she subscribes to the Ubuntu security
bulletin list and goes around and manually updates all 10 or so
computers when anything important is released, since many of the users
can't be relied upon to do even normal updates.

A great many of the kernel and other updates in the last few years have
involved vulnerabilities to local attackers. This is a huge problem for
corporate use; for a small family business, not so much. She's well
aware of how the Mint updater works and of the trade-offs involved.
They're all still on Mint 9 (the LTS version) and there have been no
security issues that we're aware of. The crunch will come in a year
when we have to decide whether to introduce Unity, Cinnamon or something
else.

--
pongo pan
Thu, 16 Feb 2012 07:43:19 -0800