Old 02-15-2012, 01:56 AM
"compdoc"

Default Virtualbox and networking

> The guest sees a Network adapter, but it has no “real” connection to my network.
*
I use qemu-kvm for the most part, but I have used virtualbox. How about a listing of your network via ifconfig?
*
Also, do you have only one nic in the system?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Jan Johansson

>I use qemu-kvm for the most part, but I have used virtualbox. How about a listing of your network via ifconfig?

>*

>Also, do you have only one nic in the system?

*

Yes, single nic.

*

j2@ormos:~$ ifconfig

eth0***** Link encap:Ethernet* HWaddr 00:1e:8c:33:d8:1f

********* inet addr:172.25.74.200* Bcast:172.25.74.255* Mask:255.255.255.0

********* inet6 addr: fe80::21e:8cff:fe33:d81f/64 Scope:Link

********* UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST* MTU:1500* Metric:1

********* RX packets:97995 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

********* TX packets:74999 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

********* RX bytes:36593573 (36.5 MB)* TX bytes:29427787 (29.4 MB)

********* Interrupt:17

*

lo******* Link encap:Local Loopback

********* inet addr:127.0.0.1* Mask:255.0.0.0

********* inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

********* UP LOOPBACK RUNNING* MTU:16436* Metric:1

********* RX packets:21760 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

********* TX packets:21760 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

********* RX bytes:4056004 (4.0 MB)* TX bytes:4056004 (4.0 MB)

*

Old 02-15-2012, 03:52 PM
"compdoc"

To test, I installed virtualbox 4.1.2x on an 11.10 system that has two nics:
*
sudo apt-get install virtualbox
*
Then, just for grins, I downloaded and installed PC-BSD 9, 32 bit version in virtualbox. Works perfectly, and I can install updates, so the network is working using the default NAT setting.
*
In the Advanced network settings, it defaulted to an Intel Pro/1000 nic, with Cable Connected checked.
*
I chose not to install the recommended add-ons, but one of the add-ons is vde2, which seems to be related to bridged networking. But again, this wasn’t needed to get it to work.
*
*
*

Old 02-15-2012, 07:32 PM
"compdoc"

> The guest sees a Network adapter, but it has no “real” connection to my network.
*
Oh, are you saying you want the guest to connect directly to your lan? You wish it to obtain an IP address from the lan?
*
If that’s the case, a bridge is what you are looking for.
*

Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 AM
NoOp

On 02/14/2012 04:29 PM, Jan Johansson wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm running server 11.10 and have an issue with networking for the
> guests. I have installed WinSrv2008R2 on my host running headless.
>
> The guest sees a Network adapter, but it has no "real" connection to
> my network. I have used the configs listed below. What might I be
> missing?
>
> I've got extensive experience with vmware, but this is my first
> virtualbox trial.
>
> VBoxManage modifyvm "krockos" --nictype1 82545EM VBoxManage modifyvm
> "krockos" --nic1 bridged VBoxManage modifyvm "krockos"
> --bridgeadapter1 eth0
>
> root@ormos:~/VirtualBox VMs/krockos# dpkg -l | grep virtualbox ii
> virtualbox
> 4.1.2-dfsg-1ubuntu1 x86 virtualization solution -
> base binaries

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox

I recommend using virtualbox version: note that VirtualBox is up
to version 4.1.8 & your's is at 4.1.2. Here are the change logs so you
can see the difference:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog

Start here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
[note the VirtualBox 4.1.8 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack]
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
[read the entire page - & be sure to 'combine downloading and registering'.

If you still have problems, check:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html