Old 04-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Victor Sterpu

Default ubuntu 7.10 and raid 1

I have a software raid.

You defenetly can boot
from a software raid.

You must have a
sepparate /boot partition for this to work.

A made a lot of sutch
systems, but the problem that I described is only on Ubuntu 7.10 server.

This thread has the
exact same error message like me.

Does someoane has any
ideeas?

I use grub.

Neil wrote:

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Victor Sterpu <victor@ambra.ro> wrote:

I installed a Ubuntu 7.10 server.

Partitions are /boot, / and swap, and all of them are RAID 1.

After OS instalation, I installed grub on both hdd's like this:

root(hd0,0)

setup(hd0)

>root(hd1,0)

setup(hd1)

Then I waited for the RAID to syncronize.

After this I removed one hdd and tryed too boot from the other and reverse.

But the surprize was that the computer didn't booted without one of the
hdd's.

It boots only with both hdd's connected.

With only one hdd Ubuntu freezes in a initial stage. On the screen I can
read:

Starting up ...

Any idees about how can I fix this problem?

Thank you.

Is it a hard raid, soft raid or a fake raid (embedded raid in the
motherboard or raid card <50 EUR)?
The info you provided suggest a soft raid, but my info says you can't
boot from a soft raid system, only hard raid and fake raid.

I'd be verry interrested to know if it works if it is a soft raid.

Neil

Old 04-03-2008, 01:43 PM
John L Fjellstad

Victor Sterpu <victor@ambra.ro> writes:

> Doesn't really help.
>
> My problem is identical with this thread:
>
> http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=651110.
>
> I tryed the last suggestion, but no luck.

Sorry, I don't have any other ideas.

--
John L. Fjellstad
web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Old 04-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Victor Sterpu wrote:

> I installed a Ubuntu 7.10 server.
>
> Partitions are /boot, / and swap, and all of them are RAID 1.
[...]
> It boots only with both hdd's connected.
>
> With only one hdd Ubuntu freezes in a initial stage. On the screen I can
> read:
>
> Starting up ...

> Any idees about how can I fix this problem?

I don't know of any fix, and judging from
there actually may be none.
But I was able to get the machine to boot with only one of the disks by
waiting till the prompt from BusyBox appears (may take a couple of
minutes), which should look like

BusyBox v<blubber>
Enter 'help' for <blubber>

(initramfs)

Then entering the following commands (History und <TAB>-completion are
available):

(initramfs) mdadm --assemble /dev/md0
mdadm: CREATE user root not found
mdadm: CREATE group disk not found
mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
(initramfs) mdadm --assemble /dev/md1
<blubber (s. o.)>
(initramfs) mount -t ext3 /dev/md1 /root
(initramfs) [Ctrl+D]

On this machine /dev/md0 contains the boot partition, /dev/md1 contains
the root partition (ext3 fs). You'll have to adjust to your setup.

Regards
mks

Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Victor Sterpu

In the mean time I
tryed Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.

I installed the os on a
raid 1 (root, /boot and a swap).

It worked when I tryed
to boot from the first hdd alone and from the second hdd alone.

But when I putted both
of them together again it failed.

Now it mounts the the
root partition as read only.

The raids appear in
sync but they shouldn't be after booting from a hdd alone.

Thanks for the answer.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Karl Larsen

Victor Sterpu wrote:
> In the mean time I tryed Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.
>
> I installed the os on a raid 1 (root, /boot and a swap).
>
> It worked when I tryed to boot from the first hdd alone and from the
> second hdd alone.
>

> But when I putted both of them together again it failed.
>
> Now it mounts the the root partition as read only.
>
> The raids appear in sync but they shouldn't be after booting from a
> hdd alone.
>

> Thanks for the answer.
>

> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
>> Victor Sterpu wrote:
>>

>>> I installed a Ubuntu 7.10 server.
>>>
>>> Partitions are /boot, / and swap, and all of them are RAID 1.
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> It boots only with both hdd's connected.
>>>
>>> With only one hdd Ubuntu freezes in a initial stage. On the screen I
>>> can read:
>>>
>>> Starting up ...

>>> Any idees about how can I fix this problem?
>>>

>> I don't know of any fix, and judging from
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/133663
>> there actually may be none.
>> But I was able to get the machine to boot with only one of the disks by
>> waiting till the prompt from BusyBox appears (may take a couple of
>> minutes), which should look like
>>
>> BusyBox v<blubber>
>> Enter 'help' for <blubber>
>>
>> (initramfs)
>>
>> Then entering the following commands (History und <TAB>-completion are
>> available):
>>
>> (initramfs) mdadm --assemble /dev/md0
>> mdadm: CREATE user root not found
>> mdadm: CREATE group disk not found
>> mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 1 drive (out of 2).
>> (initramfs) mdadm --assemble /dev/md1
>> <blubber (s. o.)>
>> (initramfs) mount -t ext3 /dev/md1 /root
>> (initramfs) [Ctrl+D]
>>
>> On this machine /dev/md0 contains the boot partition, /dev/md1 contains
>> the root partition (ext3 fs). You'll have to adjust to your setup.
>>
>> Regards
>> mks

It has been awhile since I played with a raid system. As I recall a
raid 1 is a system with 2 hard drives (HD). My understanding is that
when things are set up properly you can turn off either HD and the
system will function properly.

Well for sure both HD's must have a way to boot up so this means
each HD must have a bootable system. You get this by having a /boot/ on
all HD.

Now you need to have the basic system above / kept the same. I
forget just how this is done.

I don't think you need more than one swap/HD. I do not think it's
special.

This I wrote above is correct. Your problem may be the way your
addressing the / file.

There may be other things but I learn there is no man raid on Gutesy.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User