Old 04-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Victor Sterpu

Default ubuntu 7.10 and raid 1

Doesn't really help.

My problem is identical
with this thread:

http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=651110.

I tryed the last
suggestion, but no luck.

John L Fjellstad wrote:

Victor Sterpu <victor@ambra.ro> writes:

Any idees about how can I fix this problem?

There is an howto here:
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-July/008898.html
Following it might help

Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Neil

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Victor Sterpu <victor@ambra.ro> wrote:

> I installed a Ubuntu 7.10 server.
>
> Partitions are /boot, / and swap, and all of them are RAID 1.
>

> After OS instalation, I installed grub on both hdd's like this:
>
> >root(hd0,0)
>
> >setup(hd0)
> >root(hd1,0)
>
> >setup(hd1)
>

> Then I waited for the RAID to syncronize.
>
> After this I removed one hdd and tryed too boot from the other and reverse.
>

> But the surprize was that the computer didn't booted without one of the
> hdd's.
>
> It boots only with both hdd's connected.
>
> With only one hdd Ubuntu freezes in a initial stage. On the screen I can
> read:
>
> Starting up ...

> Any idees about how can I fix this problem?
>
> Thank you.

Is it a hard raid, soft raid or a fake raid (embedded raid in the
motherboard or raid card <50 EUR)?
The info you provided suggest a soft raid, but my info says you can't
boot from a soft raid system, only hard raid and fake raid.

I'd be verry interrested to know if it works if it is a soft raid.

Neil

--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.