Old 04-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Neil

Default Recognizing Drives

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Joseph <ubuntu@e-pops.org> wrote:

> Robert Perry wrote:
> > I have an old machine running Ubuntu 6.06 with an internal SCSI ZIP
> > drive and it works perfectly. I also am running Ubuntu 7.04 on my main
> > new machine with an external SCSI ZIP drive and it also works perfectly.
> > What kind of interface did you use on the Windows machine? Could your
> > drive be a parallel interface? I have not tried one of those on a Linux
> > computer.
> > Bob
> >

> > Joseph wrote:
> >>

> >> I have an Iomega Zip Plus drive whiich worked well on a windows XP
> >> system. My Ubuntu doesn't seem to want to "see" or recognize it.
> >>
> >> Is it possible for me to get Ubuntu to recognize my Zip Drive???
> >>

> >> Joseph Snurr
> >> http://e-pops.org/aeamt/GT/607.lhtm
> >>

> Interface? I just hooked it up, booted the computer, XP found the new hardware and installed the
> drivers.... then it was recognized and usable. That's the only thing I have with Ubuntu.... all
> the codes... After about 15 years of being online, I'm still trying to get used to HTML.... <grin>
>
> Joseph

Most things can be fixed using a GUI (Graphical User Interface,
clickable). However, some less used things (like the ZIP dive) do not
have a good GUI tool. This has to be fixed using command line.
There are some great tutorials out there, that can really help when
fixing these things. Sadly there are also a lot of tutorials that
assume you already know about command line Linuxing, and cannot help
you when you don't. In that case, there is this mailing list.

I do like the command line interface, for the speed it gives. Unrar a
large load of .rar files? Simply write the appropriate line and let
the PC do it's work.
The beauty of Linux is that it offers both. When you start you will
need to use the GUI's because you can't be expected to be able to use
command line.
Once you have everything running you might find some things are easier
and faster in command line (not all users feel that way, mind you) and
start using it. Then you might learn Regular Expressions and really
learn to love and hate text based input.
And last but not least: The next step would be to start scripting. You
can enter a command line command into a txt file and make it
executable in such a way you can simply start the file and execute the
commands you like. This can be automated (cron jobs, executed at boor,
executed at shutdown) and your PC will do maintenance tasks at the
moment you'd like it to.
That would be the first and easy step towards real programming.

Neil

--
There are two kinds of people:
1. People who start their arrays with 1.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Joseph

Neil wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Joseph <ubuntu@e-pops.org> wrote:
>> Robert Perry wrote:
>> > I have an old machine running Ubuntu 6.06 with an internal SCSI ZIP
>> > drive and it works perfectly. I also am running Ubuntu 7.04 on my main
>> > new machine with an external SCSI ZIP drive and it also works perfectly.
>> > What kind of interface did you use on the Windows machine? Could your
>> > drive be a parallel interface? I have not tried one of those on a Linux
>> > computer.
>> > Bob

>> Interface? I just hooked it up, booted the computer, XP found the new hardware and installed the
>> drivers.... then it was recognized and usable. That's the only thing I have with Ubuntu.... all
>> the codes... After about 15 years of being online, I'm still trying to get used to HTML.... <grin>
>>
>> Joseph
>
> Most things can be fixed using a GUI (Graphical User Interface,
> clickable). However, some less used things (like the ZIP dive) do not
> have a good GUI tool. This has to be fixed using command line.
> There are some great tutorials out there, that can really help when
> fixing these things. Sadly there are also a lot of tutorials that
> assume you already know about command line Linuxing, and cannot help
> you when you don't. In that case, there is this mailing list.
>
> I do like the command line interface, for the speed it gives. Unrar a
> large load of .rar files? Simply write the appropriate line and let
> the PC do it's work.
> The beauty of Linux is that it offers both. When you start you will
> need to use the GUI's because you can't be expected to be able to use
> command line.
> Once you have everything running you might find some things are easier
> and faster in command line (not all users feel that way, mind you) and
> start using it. Then you might learn Regular Expressions and really
> learn to love and hate text based input.
> And last but not least: The next step would be to start scripting. You
> can enter a command line command into a txt file and make it
> executable in such a way you can simply start the file and execute the
> commands you like. This can be automated (cron jobs, executed at boor,
> executed at shutdown) and your PC will do maintenance tasks at the
> moment you'd like it to.
> That would be the first and easy step towards real programming.
>
> Neil

If I understand you correctly, this means I must do some intense studies on scripting for linux.
And that's great, because though it uses time.... I will learn more about a good system.... and
learning is always good.

Thanks for your help.

Joseph

Old 04-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Joseph

Neil wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Joseph <ubuntu@e-pops.org> wrote:
>> Robert Perry wrote:
>> > I have an old machine running Ubuntu 6.06 with an internal SCSI ZIP
>> > drive and it works perfectly. I also am running Ubuntu 7.04 on my main
>> > new machine with an external SCSI ZIP drive and it also works perfectly.
>> > What kind of interface did you use on the Windows machine? Could your
>> > drive be a parallel interface? I have not tried one of those on a Linux
>> > computer.
>> > Bob

>> Interface? I just hooked it up, booted the computer, XP found the new hardware and installed the
>> drivers.... then it was recognized and usable. That's the only thing I have with Ubuntu.... all
>> the codes... After about 15 years of being online, I'm still trying to get used to HTML.... <grin>
>>
>> Joseph
>
> Most things can be fixed using a GUI (Graphical User Interface,
> clickable). However, some less used things (like the ZIP dive) do not
> have a good GUI tool. This has to be fixed using command line.
> There are some great tutorials out there, that can really help when
> fixing these things. Sadly there are also a lot of tutorials that
> assume you already know about command line Linuxing, and cannot help
> you when you don't. In that case, there is this mailing list.
>
> I do like the command line interface, for the speed it gives. Unrar a
> large load of .rar files? Simply write the appropriate line and let
> the PC do it's work.
> The beauty of Linux is that it offers both. When you start you will
> need to use the GUI's because you can't be expected to be able to use
> command line.
> Once you have everything running you might find some things are easier
> and faster in command line (not all users feel that way, mind you) and
> start using it. Then you might learn Regular Expressions and really
> learn to love and hate text based input.
> And last but not least: The next step would be to start scripting. You
> can enter a command line command into a txt file and make it
> executable in such a way you can simply start the file and execute the
> commands you like. This can be automated (cron jobs, executed at boor,
> executed at shutdown) and your PC will do maintenance tasks at the
> moment you'd like it to.
> That would be the first and easy step towards real programming.
>
> Neil

I hunted this mysterious "x window" and one website had a section titled "How to get "x window" to work.

There I found thefollowing ""X Window System configuration file is called (usually)
[/etc/XF86Config], [/etc/X11/XF86Config], or [/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config] path online." I have
none of these paths which are complete. Everything is fine until the very last command. It's not
there.

Now... any ideas on how to get the "x window" to work so I can continue trying this???

Joseph

Old 04-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Peter Garrett

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:14:49 -0500
Joseph <ubuntu@e-pops.org> wrote:

> I hunted this mysterious "x window" and one website had a section titled "How to get "x window" to work.
>
> There I found thefollowing ""X Window System configuration file is called (usually)
> [/etc/XF86Config], [/etc/X11/XF86Config], or [/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config] path online." I have
> none of these paths which are complete. Everything is fine until the very last command. It's not
> there.

X or " X window system" is the graphical system that allows you to see
graphical windows ( for example the Gnome desktop, KDE, and many others if
desired). Unlike the Windows graphical desktop, X is a separate system,
and allows many flexible and different methods to "ride" on top of it to
give you a graphical desktop.

X is also is "network transparent", which in simplified terms means that
you can run an application from another networked machine, and have it
appear on the machine where you have your keyboard and monitor attached.

You are using Thunderbird on X11, so your "X window system" is working
already

The information that you found is extremely outdated - it refers to
XF86Config , which was use with the Xfree86 system, now replaced by
"xorg". The configuration file for xorg is

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

... but you don't need to touch that if your graphical system is working
as desired already.

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 AM
"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE"

>> I have an old machine running Ubuntu 6.06 with an internal SCSI ZIP
> drive and it works perfectly.*

>Interface?* I just hooked it up, booted the computer, XP found the new hardware and installed the
drivers....** then it was recognized and usable.* That's the only thing I have with Ubuntu....** all
the codes...** After about 15 years of being online, I'm still trying to get used to HTML....** <grin>

I think Linux desktops (freedesktops) would* use the message: "new hardware found" and use generic (or customized ) drivers.

Regards.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Joseph

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:
> [...]

I've hooked up both the zip drive and a CD/DVD Burner and neither was recognized by Ubuntu...

Joseph

Old 04-04-2008, 12:15 PM
"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE"

Title: Re: Recognizing Drives

De (From):Joseph
Enviado el (Send): vie 04/04/2008 13:58
Para (To): Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions
Asunto (Subject): Re: Recognizing Drives

>> I think Linux desktops (freedesktops) would* use the message: "new
> hardware found" and use generic (or customized ) drivers.
>
> Regards.
>

>I've hooked up both the zip drive and a CD/DVD Burner and neither was recognized by Ubuntu...

I am specially worried about the DVD burner. Do you have more CD/DVD units ?.* Can you include the make, model and port (USB, IDE...) of the*disk (CD/DVD) units ?.

Regards

Pedro.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Joseph

PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:
> *De (From):*Joseph
> *Enviado el (Send):* vie 04/04/2008 13:58
> *Para (To):* Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions
> *Asunto (Subject):* Re: Recognizing Drives
>
> >> I think Linux desktops (freedesktops) would use the message: "new
> > hardware found" and use generic (or customized ) drivers.
> >
> > Regards.
> >

> >I've hooked up both the zip drive and a CD/DVD Burner and neither was
> recognized by Ubuntu...
>
> I am specially worried about the DVD burner. Do you have more CD/DVD
> units ?. Can you include the make, model and port (USB, IDE...) of
> the disk (CD/DVD) units ?.
>
> Regards
>
> Pedro.

When you'd written this, it HIT me.... like a 2x4 right between the ears.

You'd asked "Do you have more CD/DVD units ?" Well, yes I do. I never had to be concerned about
setting DVD players. Seemed they all turned out right just the way I put them in. I did have
another one in there. I pulled out both (when I was checking for the make/model) and as I was
looking them over, I realized they both had jumpers on them. I tried them different ways and none
worked until I set the burner as master and the other one as slave....

The CD reader didn't like being master and the burner as slave.... but indeed they are both now
being read and working.... well, I haven't checked the burner yet, but the reader in it works.

You folks never cease to amaze me.... if you don't have an answer, you prod until I figure it
out, and that's good.

Thanks for everything so far.... I hope you all don't tire of my problems.... I am a novice to
the extreme at Linux.

Now if I can get the Zip Drive working. Speaking of that, I am STILL looking for that x window....
<grin>

Old 04-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Joseph

Joseph wrote:
> PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE wrote:
>> *De (From):*Joseph
>> *Enviado el (Send):* vie 04/04/2008 13:58
>> *Para (To):* Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions
>> *Asunto (Subject):* Re: Recognizing Drives

>> > hardware found" and use generic (or customized ) drivers.
>> >
>> > Regards.
>> >

>> >I've hooked up both the zip drive and a CD/DVD Burner and neither was
>> recognized by Ubuntu...
>>
>> I am specially worried about the DVD burner. Do you have more CD/DVD
>> units ?. Can you include the make, model and port (USB, IDE...) of
>> the disk (CD/DVD) units ?.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Pedro.
>>

> When you'd written this, it HIT me.... like a 2x4 right between the ears.
>
> You'd asked "Do you have more CD/DVD units ?" Well, yes I do. I never had to be concerned about
> setting DVD players. Seemed they all turned out right just the way I put them in. I did have
> another one in there. I pulled out both (when I was checking for the make/model) and as I was
> looking them over, I realized they both had jumpers on them. I tried them different ways and none
> worked until I set the burner as master and the other one as slave....
>
> The CD reader didn't like being master and the burner as slave.... but indeed they are both now
> being read and working.... well, I haven't checked the burner yet, but the reader in it works.
>
> You folks never cease to amaze me.... if you don't have an answer, you prod until I figure it
> out, and that's good.
>
> Thanks for everything so far.... I hope you all don't tire of my problems.... I am a novice to
> the extreme at Linux.
>
> Now if I can get the Zip Drive working. Speaking of that, I am STILL looking for that x window....
> <grin>

I tried using it and it says "Unable to mount media." I'm sure there's a command to make it mount
this drive. Can you give me a details description how to get to the document and edit.... of
course my first attempt at editing didn't work.... can't save... <sigh>

Old 04-08-2008, 07:29 AM
"PEDRO MACANAS VALVERDE"

>When you'd written this, it HIT me....*** like a 2x4 right between the ears.

>You'd asked "Do you have more CD/DVD units ?"* Well, yes I do.* I never had to be concerned about
setting DVD players.* Seemed they all turned out right just the way I put them in.* I did have
another one in there.* I pulled out both (when I was checking for the make/model) and as I was
looking them over, I realized they both had jumpers on them.* I tried them different ways and none
worked until I set the burner as master and the other one as slave....

>The CD reader didn't like being master and the burner as slave....** but indeed they are both now
being read and working....** well, I haven't checked the burner yet, but the reader in it works.

Good ;-)

>You folks never cease to amaze me....*** if you don't have an answer, you prod until I figure it
out, and that's good.

That is a good way to work . You can also use different LiveCd and try the hardware in more than one, to see if the problem is related with the distro or with the hardware.

>Thanks for everything so far....** I hope you all don't tire of my problems....** I am a novice to
the extreme at Linux.

Donīt worry. I am a person that is *proud* to be a novice and a GUI-lover. The easier, the best (and the worse for M$).
*
>Now if I can get the Zip Drive working.*
*
I donīt use it. Why donīt you use a USB keydrive?.
*
Regards.
*
Pedro. --