FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Sam Sebastian
 
Default shutdown command

when i run the shutdown command from the terminal (sudo) it does not shutdown the computer, it just goes to the screen, i really don't know what its called its the same one that shows up in boot up and when you do "sudo service lxdm restart" or something similar. Is the something that i am missing?


thanks Sam
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-14-2012, 02:59 AM
Basil Chupin
 
Default shutdown command

On 14/02/12 13:52, Sam Sebastian wrote:
when i run the shutdown command from the terminal (sudo) it does not
shutdown the computer, it just goes to the screen, i really don't know
what its called its the same one that shows up in boot up and when you
do "sudo service lxdm restart" or something similar. Is the something
that i am missing?


thanks Sam


Use the line command 'halt' (as root).

BC

--
Aspire to inspire before you expire.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 AM
Rashkae
 
Default shutdown command

On 02/13/2012 09:52 PM, Sam Sebastian wrote:

when i run the shutdown command from the terminal (sudo) it does not
shutdown the computer, it just goes to the screen, i really don't know what
its called its the same one that shows up in boot up and when you do "sudo
service lxdm restart" or something similar. Is the something that i am
missing?

thanks Sam



I don't know what the shutdown command is supposed to do. That must be
something new in recent Ubuntu releases (try man shutdown). The command
you probably want, however, is "sudo poweroff"



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-14-2012, 03:34 AM
Rashkae
 
Default shutdown command

On 02/13/2012 11:32 PM, Rashkae wrote:

On 02/13/2012 09:52 PM, Sam Sebastian wrote:

when i run the shutdown command from the terminal (sudo) it does not
shutdown the computer, it just goes to the screen, i really don't
know what
its called its the same one that shows up in boot up and when you do
"sudo

service lxdm restart" or something similar. Is the something that i am
missing?

thanks Sam



I don't know what the shutdown command is supposed to do. That must
be something new in recent Ubuntu releases (try man shutdown). The
command you probably want, however, is "sudo poweroff"



Bah, I'm an idiot. If you wanted to use shutdown command (been so long,
I forgot about it.).. you would invoke it as shutdown -h -t now. But
poweroff should be a shortcut for that.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-14-2012, 04:23 AM
Ioannis Vranos
 
Default shutdown command

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 4:52 AM, Sam Sebastian <sebastiansam55@gmail.com> wrote:
> when i run the shutdown command from the terminal (sudo) it does not
> shutdown the computer, it just goes to the screen, i really don't know what
> its called its the same one that shows up in boot up and when you do "sudo
> service lxdm restart" or something similar. Is the something that i am
> missing?

I suppose you did not specify a command line argument like -P.


Example: shutdown -P now

If you do not specify a command line argument, shutdown changes the
current runlevel of the system, to Single User runlevel (where you are
the root).

It is equivalent of selecting the "recovery mode" entry in the boot menu.


--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-14-2012, 04:32 AM
Basil Chupin
 
Default shutdown command

On 14/02/12 16:23, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 4:52 AM, Sam Sebastian<sebastiansam55@gmail.com> wrote:

when i run the shutdown command from the terminal (sudo) it does not
shutdown the computer, it just goes to the screen, i really don't know what
its called its the same one that shows up in boot up and when you do "sudo
service lxdm restart" or something similar. Is the something that i am
missing?

I suppose you did not specify a command line argument like -P.


Example: shutdown -P now

If you do not specify a command line argument, shutdown changes the
current runlevel of the system, to Single User runlevel (where you are
the root).

It is equivalent of selecting the "recovery mode" entry in the boot menu.



The simple word "halt" will do it - without all the additional cruft.

BC

--
Aspire to inspire before you expire.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Chris Green
 
Default shutdown command

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:32:20PM -0500, Rashkae wrote:
> On 02/13/2012 09:52 PM, Sam Sebastian wrote:
> >when i run the shutdown command from the terminal (sudo) it does not
> >shutdown the computer, it just goes to the screen, i really don't know what
> >its called its the same one that shows up in boot up and when you do "sudo
> >service lxdm restart" or something similar. Is the something that i am
> >missing?
> >
> >thanks Sam
> >
>
> I don't know what the shutdown command is supposed to do. That must
> be something new in recent Ubuntu releases (try man shutdown). The
> command you probably want, however, is "sudo poweroff"
>
The command line shutdown command has been around since the early days
of Unix. Many other commands are just different ways of calling it.

Looking at /sbin it seems that halt and poweroff are symbolic links to
reboot but shutdown is actually different. However the man page for
reboot says that (except for some specific options) reboot calls
shutdown.

So basically it's shutdown at the bottom of all these commands.

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Ioannis Vranos
 
Default shutdown command

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 14/02/12 16:23, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 4:52 AM, Sam Sebastian<sebastiansam55@gmail.com>
>> *wrote:
>>>
>>> when i run the shutdown command from the terminal (sudo) it does not
>>> shutdown the computer, it just goes to the screen, i really don't know
>>> what
>>> its called its the same one that shows up in boot up and when you do
>>> "sudo
>>> service lxdm restart" or something similar. Is the something that i am
>>> missing?
>>
>> I suppose you did not specify a command line argument like -P.
>>
>>
>> Example: shutdown -P now
>>
>> If you do not specify a command line argument, shutdown changes the
>> current runlevel of the system, to Single User runlevel (where you are
>> the root).
>>
>> It is equivalent of selecting the "recovery mode" entry in the boot menu.
>
>
>
> The simple word "halt" will do it - without all the additional cruft.

I am using poweroff myself.


--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Ioannis Vranos
 
Default shutdown command

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> The command line shutdown command has been around since the early days
> of Unix. *Many other commands are just different ways of calling it.
>
> Looking at /sbin it seems that halt and poweroff are symbolic links to
> reboot but shutdown is actually different. *However the man page for
> reboot says that (except for some specific options) reboot calls
> shutdown.
>
> So basically it's shutdown at the bottom of all these commands.

I can't understand the following. poweroff and halt, are symbolic
links of /sbin/reboot. How all 3 have different outcome (poweoff,
halt, and reboot respectively)?


--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Chris Green
 
Default shutdown command

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 07:15:03PM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > The command line shutdown command has been around since the early days
> > of Unix. *Many other commands are just different ways of calling it.
> >
> > Looking at /sbin it seems that halt and poweroff are symbolic links to
> > reboot but shutdown is actually different. *However the man page for
> > reboot says that (except for some specific options) reboot calls
> > shutdown.
> >
> > So basically it's shutdown at the bottom of all these commands.
>
> I can't understand the following. poweroff and halt, are symbolic
> links of /sbin/reboot. How all 3 have different outcome (poweoff,
> halt, and reboot respectively)?
>
Inside the code it will check to see what name was used to call it and
change what it does accordingly.

--
Chris Green

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org