Old 02-13-2012, 09:53 PM
CJ Tres

Default HD recommendations?

I'm looking at a Seagate Go Flex 3 TB hd and wondering if anyone here
has any experience with them or knows any reason it would not be a good
choice for a back up drive or even a primary drive.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:32 PM
R Kimber

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:53:43 -0600
CJ Tres wrote:

> I'm looking at a Seagate Go Flex 3 TB hd and wondering if anyone here
> has any experience with them or knows any reason it would not be a good
> choice for a back up drive or even a primary drive.

Make sure that what you end up with hasn't got any unconfigurable power
saving features. I bought a Samsung Story 2TB which seems to power down
after about 5 seconds, and it takes about 10 seconds to power up again -
very irritating. Unusable as a primary drive. There doesn't seem to be a
way of changing the behaviour.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 02-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Steve Flynn

On 14 February 2012 16:32, R Kimber <richardkimber@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:53:43 -0600
> CJ Tres wrote:

> Make sure that what you end up with hasn't got any unconfigurable power
> saving features. I bought a Samsung Story 2TB which seems to power down
> after about 5 seconds, and it takes about 10 seconds to power up again -
> very irritating. Unusable as a primary drive. There doesn't seem to be a
> way of changing the behaviour.

You're correct - there is no way to adjust the sleep timeout. I'd just
touch a file on whatever filesystem you have on it every few minutes
to keep the thing awake.

--
Steve

Old 02-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM, R Kimber <richardkimber@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Make sure that what you end up with hasn't got any unconfigurable power
> saving features. I bought a Samsung Story 2TB which seems to power down
> after about 5 seconds, and it takes about 10 seconds to power up again -
> very irritating. Unusable as a primary drive. There doesn't seem to be a
> way of changing the behaviour.

Did you check whether there is any firmware update?

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-14-2012, 04:42 PM
R Kimber

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 19:07:48 +0200
Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> > Make sure that what you end up with hasn't got any unconfigurable power
> > saving features. I bought a Samsung Story 2TB which seems to power down
> > after about 5 seconds, and it takes about 10 seconds to power up again -
> > very irritating. Unusable as a primary drive. There doesn't seem to be a
> > way of changing the behaviour.
>
> Did you check whether there is any firmware update?

I couldn't find one. The technical support people said there was no way of
configuring it.

- Richard.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:44 PM
CJ Tres

I'm looking at a Seagate Go Flex 3 TB hd and wondering if anyone here
has any experience with them or knows any reason it would not be a good
choice for a back up drive or even a primary drive.

Make sure that what you end up with hasn't got any unconfigurable power
saving features. I bought a Samsung Story 2TB which seems to power down
after about 5 seconds, and it takes about 10 seconds to power up again -
very irritating. Unusable as a primary drive. There doesn't seem to be a
way of changing the behaviour.

- Richard.

Thanks Richard. I appreciate the input.
I'll bet that's something they don't list in the "features"