Old 02-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Default Boot Ubuntu from iPod (HDD based.)

Tossing around an idea for my next project...
I have a 30GB iPod 5th generation.
I was wondering if it's possible to get Ubuntu to boot from it, and
still have iTunes use it as normal (with reduced capacity, of course)

One method I thought of was to use GParted to shrink the existing
partiton, to free up 10GB for Ubuntu partition.

The other was to go the persistent/live USB key method. This might be
the better option, since teh free space is usable by either iTunes/iPod,
or Ubuntu.

Any thoughts?

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Avi Greenbury

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:

> Tossing around an idea for my next project...
> I have a 30GB iPod 5th generation.
> I was wondering if it's possible to get Ubuntu to boot from it, and
> still have iTunes use it as normal (with reduced capacity, of course)

Ubuntu only supports arm7 and x86. I very much doubt the iPod runs
either of those I'm afraid. Even that aside, it's rather peculiar
hardware. Rockbox might be a better place to start.

--
Avi

Old 02-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Adoris9211

On Feb 14, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:

> Ubuntu only supports arm7 and x86. I very much doubt the iPod runs
> either of those I'm afraid. Even that aside, it's rather peculiar
> hardware. Rockbox might be a better place to start.

I think what Dave trying to say is not running ubuntu INSIDE the iPod, but booting his PC (or any PC actually) from his iPod. In this case the iPod acts like an USB stick or a hard disk and it is surely possible.

I myself for example, once brought with me a USB stick running a distro named Slax. Really convenient :-)

Carlos Gong

Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Tim Edwards

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012, at 09:25 PM, Adoris9211 wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>
> > Ubuntu only supports arm7 and x86. I very much doubt the iPod runs
> > either of those I'm afraid. Even that aside, it's rather peculiar
> > hardware. Rockbox might be a better place to start.
>
> I think what Dave trying to say is not running ubuntu INSIDE the iPod,
> but booting his PC (or any PC actually) from his iPod. In this case the
> iPod acts like an USB stick or a hard disk and it is surely possible.
>
> I myself for example, once brought with me a USB stick running a distro
> named Slax. Really convenient :-)

Interestingly it looks like it's actually possible, at least with older
iPods:
http://www.engadget.com/2004/08/17/how-to-use-an-ipod-as-a-bootable-drive/
http://www.macworld.com/article/57772-2/2007/05/tcoipod.html

The question is why you'd bother with any of this (one of the suggested
pieces of software there is $135!) when you can just go and buy a 2GB
USB stick for 5 Euros.

Tim

Old 02-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Yorvyk

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 16:13:04 +0100
Tim Edwards <liststuff@fastmail.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012, at 09:25 PM, Adoris9211 wrote:
> > On Feb 14, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> >
> > > Ubuntu only supports arm7 and x86. I very much doubt the iPod runs
> > > either of those I'm afraid. Even that aside, it's rather peculiar
> > > hardware. Rockbox might be a better place to start.
> >
> > I think what Dave trying to say is not running ubuntu INSIDE the iPod,
> > but booting his PC (or any PC actually) from his iPod. In this case the
> > iPod acts like an USB stick or a hard disk and it is surely possible.
> >
> > I myself for example, once brought with me a USB stick running a distro
> > named Slax. Really convenient :-)
>
> Interestingly it looks like it's actually possible, at least with older
> iPods:
> http://www.engadget.com/2004/08/17/how-to-use-an-ipod-as-a-bootable-drive/
> http://www.macworld.com/article/57772-2/2007/05/tcoipod.html
>
> The question is why you'd bother with any of this (one of the suggested
> pieces of software there is $135!) when you can just go and buy a 2GB
> USB stick for 5 Euros.

To bypass security?
I've been to a couple of companies that'll allow phones and MP3 players in, but won't allow USB sticks.

--
Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com>

Old 02-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Tossing around an idea for my next project...
I have a 30GB iPod 5th generation.
I was wondering if it's possible to get Ubuntu to boot from it, and
still have iTunes use it as normal (with reduced capacity, of course)

Ubuntu only supports arm7 and x86. I very much doubt the iPod runs
either of those I'm afraid. Even that aside, it's rather peculiar
hardware. Rockbox might be a better place to start.

Actually, what I meant (and not stated clearly) is to use the iPod as
an external HDD for an Intel computer to boot from.

So far, no dice. I installed using Startup disk creator...

Old 02-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

[...]

Thanks for the links, I'll give them a look.
As for why, well, because I can. The iPod was just sitting in my
drawer doing nothing. Battery doesn't last very long anymore...

Old 02-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Liam Proven

On 13 February 2012 19:09, Dave Woyciesjes <woyciesjes@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> * * * *Tossing around an idea for my next project...
> I have a 30GB iPod 5th generation.
> I was wondering if it's possible to get Ubuntu to boot from it, and still
> have iTunes use it as normal (with reduced capacity, of course)
>
> * * * *One method I thought of was to use GParted to shrink the existing
> partiton, to free up 10GB for Ubuntu partition.
>
> * * * *The other was to go the persistent/live USB key method. This might be
> the better option, since teh free space is usable by either iTunes/iPod, or
> Ubuntu.
>
> * * * *Any thoughts?

Beware, I have read that the tiny 1.8" hard disks in MP3 players are
not designed for intensive computer-style R/W operations. They wear
out much quicker.

I can't find any references to hand quickly, though.

I would not advocate it myself, in case, but you might be fine.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Liam Proven

On 14 February 2012 17:57, Dave Woyciesjes <woyciesjes@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> * * * *Thanks for the links, I'll give them a look.
> As for why, well, because I can. The iPod was just sitting in my drawer
> doing nothing. Battery doesn't last very long anymore...

The batteries are actually fairly easy to replace - I've done it.
Fiddly but not as bad as several laptops I've worked on. Such as, say,
Apple Powerbooks...

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 02-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Tossing around an idea for my next project...
I have a 30GB iPod 5th generation.
I was wondering if it's possible to get Ubuntu to boot from it, and still
have iTunes use it as normal (with reduced capacity, of course)

One method I thought of was to use GParted to shrink the existing
partiton, to free up 10GB for Ubuntu partition.

The other was to go the persistent/live USB key method. This might be
the better option, since teh free space is usable by either iTunes/iPod, or
Ubuntu.

Any thoughts?

Beware, I have read that the tiny 1.8" hard disks in MP3 players are
not designed for intensive computer-style R/W operations. They wear
out much quicker.

I can't find any references to hand quickly, though.

I would not advocate it myself, in case, but you might be fine.

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing, a lot of warnings about wearing it out. I
also did see one or two comments about HDD based iPods up to 3rd
generation being able to do it, but not the 5th generation that I have....
Given that, and the overall lack of info, I think it may not be
possible, the dual use I'd like.

I think I may give this a try as a last resort:
http://sudhanshuraheja.com/2007/03/how-to-boot-linux-from-your-ipod/