Old 04-03-2008, 03:12 AM
Ted Hilts

Default Second of several questions

In order to try ubuntu I set up a dual boot with Ubuntu and XP. Soon
after, I was using Ubuntu with special downloads and Firefox add-ons
for most of my more important tasks. Before I installed Ubuntu on an 80
Gig partition I had been using the XP machine's hard drives (C
drv,DVDrw, and 6 hard drives in a SCSI configuration) to store
backup's. I still want to do this backup function using some of the
hard drives but under Ubuntu not under XP. I also want to keep the dual
boot arrangement for the time being.

My problem is the ntfs hard drives. Anything I store on them under
Ubuntu operations looks like:
-rwxrwx--- 2 root plugdev 371386 2006-07-08 22:18 xinha-latest.zip

This is okay for local machine disk operations but other XP machines
cannot do write and execute access to these ntfs hard drives operating
under Ubuntu. These hard drives need to be set up as shares. When using
XP OS they are declared as shares but when using Ubuntu OS they cannot
be declared as shares -- or so it seems to me. So in order to do this it
seems I have to reformat any ntfs hard drives in a Linux format (or
fat32) in order to use them as "shares" under Ubuntu operation. I have
with other Linux systems stored XP and other Windows backups. I cannot
be sure that this was done without some hidden problems

My question is based on the above. What is the best Linux file system
which would support the storing both Linux and Windows(95,98,XP)
backups??? And....is there any real problem in moving files back and
forth from one file system to a different file system as I am planning
to do??? Have I missed something important???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ted

Old 04-03-2008, 10:14 AM
"Mehmet Sümengen"

I would suggest FAT32. Because you cannot see hard drives formatted in Ext3 etc. under XP OS
Other people correct me please if I'm wrong.

[...]

Mehmet Sumengen