Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Ric Moore

Default Ubuntu won't detect my GPU (NVidida 520m 1GB)

On 02/12/2012 03:20 AM, ahmed samir wrote:

Tried that already . . Didn't work. Do you have any more suggestions and Are you sure the problem is becausee of the kernel version ? I installed this kernel because the default kernel that comes with Ubuntu 10.04 was too old for my wireless card so I couldn't connect to the internet by any means. It would be really great if you can tell me a kernel version that would automatically detect both my GPU and my wireless card automatically.
My GPU : (NVidida 520m 1GB)
My wireless card : Intel Centrino Advanced N 6230
Would definitely appreciate your help.

I have to fire up "nvidia X server settings' in order to create an
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file for my nvidia card to work correctly. IF you
have the current module installed for your card, then this util will
complete the installation. Without the xorg.conf file, the module knows
not what to do.

When you have it running, the second tab "x server display
configuration" has an option to "Save to X Configuration File" in the
lower right corner. Once you have your display and options set, click on
that, it'll ask for your password, and then save it. It should save to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf Logout to reboot, login again. You should be
rolling. Ric