-   -   ethernet oddity (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/63207-ethernet-oddity.html)

"Sandy Harris" 04-03-2008 02:27 AM

ethernet oddity

I have two machines, recently installed Xubuntu on both.
One Ethernet works and the other does not.

Both use static IPs, 172.31.255.[12], they talk to the
same router, and switching cables or router ports does
not help. Xubuntu on both is 7.10 Gutsy.

I used 1386 on both even though one is AMD, because
one will be an xterm to the other and it seemed easier
to just have one architecture. The AMD is working, and
the Intel-based machine not, though, so architecture is
not the problem.

Working machine has onboard 10/100 network that
uses Sundance driver.

One with problems is Core 2 duo on a Gigabyte board,
model #GA-G31M-S2L. Gigabyte docs say the onboard
gigabit ethernet uses Realtek R8111B chip, and lspci
says 8111/8168B, but the driver that is loading is R8169.
Could that be the problem?

pinging its own address, 172...2 works, but not the
router at .254 or other machine at .1. Router does
respond to pings from the other machine.

route -n gives results that look correct:
Destination Gateway Mask Flags Iface
172.31.255.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U eth0
0.0.0.0 172.31.255.254 0.0.0.0 UG eth0

(except there's another line for 169.254.0.0; how do I get rid of it?)

ifconfig eth0 looks OK too
inet addr: 172.31.255.2 Bcast: 172.31.255.255 Mask: 255.255.255.0

ethtool gives some results that look odd:
Supported ports: [FIBRE]
Supported link modes: 1000baseT/FULL
Supports auto-negotiation: yes
Speed: 1000 Mbps
Auto-negotiation: on
Link detected: yes

Since the router is 10/100, this appears to be the wrong speed.
"ethtool -s eth0 speed 100" gives no error messages, but does
not solve the problem.

I tried "modprobe -r r8169" and then "modprobe r8169" to
re-insert it. After that, lsmod says it is there, but both ethtool
and ifconfig give "no such device"messages for eth0.

Not sure what to try next or how to diagnose the problem.

--
Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China

Yannick Le Saint 04-03-2008 06:00 PM

ethernet oddity

Sandy Harris wrote:
> Not sure what to try next or how to diagnose the problem.

Hi there,

Well you could see with ifconfig if the device has sent / received
packets.

You could also check your logs /var/log/messages and dmesg.

Just my two cents.

--
Regards.

Yannick Le Saint (kyncani) <y.lesaint@gmail.com>
http://y.lesaint.free.fr/

"Sandy Harris" 04-04-2008 10:30 AM

ethernet oddity

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Michael Surette <mjsurette@gmx.com> wrote:

> It looks to me as if your gigabit ethernet only supports gigabit
> speed. If it supported slower speeds they should be listed in your ethtool
> output.

It is documented as 10/100/1000 and if I unplug the cable before booting,
then ethtool shows all those speeds and twisted pair as the port. This
board's BIOS has a "smart ethernet" testing feature; it identifies the
link to the router as 100 Mbps.

I've tried connecting it to three different things -- my router, an Asus hub,
and my employer's router -- and with any of them it reports only 1000
speed a [FIBER] port, and no communication takes place. As soon as
I get a crossover cable, I'll try going to another Linux box's ethernet.

Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China

debiani386 04-05-2008 01:52 AM

ethernet oddity

Sandy Harris wrote:
> I have two machines, recently installed Xubuntu on both.
> One Ethernet works and the other does not.
>
> Both use static IPs, 172.31.255.[12], they talk to the
> same router, and switching cables or router ports does
> not help. Xubuntu on both is 7.10 Gutsy.
>
> I used 1386 on both even though one is AMD, because
> one will be an xterm to the other and it seemed easier
> to just have one architecture. The AMD is working, and
> the Intel-based machine not, though, so architecture is
> not the problem.
>
> Working machine has onboard 10/100 network that
> uses Sundance driver.
>
> One with problems is Core 2 duo on a Gigabyte board,
> model #GA-G31M-S2L. Gigabyte docs say the onboard
> gigabit ethernet uses Realtek R8111B chip, and lspci
> says 8111/8168B, but the driver that is loading is R8169.
> Could that be the problem?
>
> pinging its own address, 172...2 works, but not the
> router at .254 or other machine at .1. Router does
> respond to pings from the other machine.

ok so what it looks like you are trying to do is get it to route out to
the internet (or atleast use your computer as a route to your router).
In which case, you need to use firestarter.

To install it, type sudo apt-get install firestarter

a guide on setting up internet connection sharing with firestarter can
be found at: *http://www.fs-security.com/docs/connection-sharing.php

hth
--cj
*

"Sandy Harris" 04-05-2008 05:49 AM

ethernet oddity

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 9:52 AM, debiani386 <debiani386@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sandy Harris wrote:
> > I have two machines, recently installed Xubuntu on both.
> > One Ethernet works and the other does not.
> >
> > Both use static IPs, 172.31.255.[12], they talk to the
> > same router, and switching cables or router ports does
> > not help. Xubuntu on both is 7.10 Gutsy.
> >
> > I used 1386 on both even though one is AMD, because
> > one will be an xterm to the other and it seemed easier
> > to just have one architecture. The AMD is working, and
> > the Intel-based machine not, though, so architecture is
> > not the problem.
> >
> > Working machine has onboard 10/100 network that
> > uses Sundance driver.
> >
> > One with problems is Core 2 duo on a Gigabyte board,
> > model #GA-G31M-S2L. Gigabyte docs say the onboard
> > gigabit ethernet uses Realtek R8111B chip, and lspci
> > says 8111/8168B, but the driver that is loading is R8169.
> > Could that be the problem?
> >
> > pinging its own address, 172...2 works, but not the
> > router at .254 or other machine at .1. Router does
> > respond to pings from the other machine.
> >

> ok so what it looks like you are trying to do is get it to route out to
> the internet (or atleast use your computer as a route to your router).

No I have a router that works fine. It connects to the net and does
NAT., DNS caching and DHCP That all works. Behind that router are
two machines. Neither of those machines needs to do any routing,
except to talk to their local network and know where the gateway is.
Nor do they need to do NAT; the router does that.

One connects to the router just fine; I'm sending this message
from it. The other one fails. I do not need anything fancy here;
I just need to get that machine's ethernet interface working.

> In which case, you need to use firestarter.
>
> To install it, type sudo apt-get install firestarter
>
> a guide on setting up internet connection sharing with firestarter can
> be found at: *http://www.fs-security.com/docs/connection-sharing.php
>

> hth
> --cj
> *

Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China

"Sandy Harris" 04-05-2008 06:34 AM

ethernet oddity

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 2:00 AM, Yannick Le Saint <y.lesaint@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sandy Harris wrote:
> > Not sure what to try next or how to diagnose the problem.
>
> Hi there,
>
> Well you could see with ifconfig if the device has sent / received
> packets.

No. But it says it has dropped a few for transmit and some utterly
huge number, near 2^32, dropped on receive. No-one as been
sending to it, except for a ping or two, so that is odd.

> You could also check your logs /var/log/messages and dmesg.

Nothing obviously relevant there. Of course, I may have missed it.

--
Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China

Yannick Le Saint 04-05-2008 08:52 AM

ethernet oddity

Sandy Harris wrote:
> No. But it says it has dropped a few for transmit and some utterly
> huge number, near 2^32, dropped on receive. No-one as been
> sending to it, except for a ping or two, so that is odd.

You could make sure using wireshark that the device has been receiving
data from the outside and if it has, it might be a firewall problem.

You could also check with ifconfig/wireshark on the other box if it has
been receiving packets and if it has, it might just not reply to ping
from this box for whatever network config related reason.

>> You could also check your logs /var/log/messages and dmesg.
>>
> Nothing obviously relevant there. Of course, I may have missed it.

Of course, if you think the drivers for your ethernet card may not be
working, you could try more recent drivers with ubuntu beta (hardy) or
debian sid.

"Sandy Harris" 04-05-2008 03:04 PM

ethernet oddity

Yannick Le Saint <y.lesaint@gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course, if you think the drivers for your ethernet card may not be
> working, you could try more recent drivers with ubuntu beta (hardy) or
> debian sid.

Installed Hardy, which solved the problem.

--
Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China