Old 04-03-2008, 02:04 AM
"Owen Townend"

Default minimum RAM for Ubuntu

On 03/04/2008, Hilary Naylor <hilary.naylor@ousd.k12.ca.us> wrote:
Hi Owen,
*Thanks for your advice. I don't really need Edubuntu - I just wanted to see what it was like. I have installed Ubuntu before on desktops. So I'm installing the alternate version of Ubuntu and following the instructions on this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems
*I just hope by the time I've done all that, I will have something easy for teachers to use w/o having to type in esoteric (to them) commands!

thanks
Hilary

Hey Hilary,
**I'm glad I could help. If you have teachers who are completely new to linux and Ubuntu it may be worth while finding/making and printing a 'cheat sheet' of sorts showing*the equivalent Windows and Linux programs to help get them started. There are a few good sites[1] and books[2] around which may help.

cheers,
Owen.

footnotes.
[1]*http://www.linuxscrew.com/2007/11/22/windows-software-linux-software/

*****http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Alternatives
*****http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software

[2] http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781593271527/

Old 04-05-2008, 03:28 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 01/04/2008, Hilary Naylor <hilary.naylor@ousd.k12.ca.us> wrote:
> I'm trying to install Ubuntu (or Edubuntu) on a Dell latitude CPt laptop
> that was donated to my school. The installation stalls at the point where
> there is a brown rectangle on the screen and the icon for Nautilus appears.
> The laptop has only 129MB RAM (and a 6GB hard disk). Is this the reason it
> is stalling? Is there a minimal version of Ubuntu I could use? I am afraid
> that more RAM for the laptop will be too expensive.

Must the laptop be Ubuntu, Hilary? There are several Linux distros
designed for such machines, such as DamnSmallLinux. They can be
configured with most of the same applications as Ubuntu, but I would
recommend specifically staying away from Open Office until OOo3 comes
out. OOo 2.x are resource hogs, 3 may be better.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 04-05-2008, 07:23 PM
NoOp

On 04/05/2008 08:28 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 01/04/2008, Hilary Naylor <hilary.naylor@ousd.k12.ca.us> wrote:
>> I'm trying to install Ubuntu (or Edubuntu) on a Dell latitude CPt laptop
>> that was donated to my school. The installation stalls at the point where
>> there is a brown rectangle on the screen and the icon for Nautilus appears.
>> The laptop has only 129MB RAM (and a 6GB hard disk). Is this the reason it
>> is stalling? Is there a minimal version of Ubuntu I could use? I am afraid
>> that more RAM for the laptop will be too expensive.
>>

> Must the laptop be Ubuntu, Hilary? There are several Linux distros
> designed for such machines, such as DamnSmallLinux. They can be
> configured with most of the same applications as Ubuntu, but I would
> recommend specifically staying away from Open Office until OOo3 comes
> out. OOo 2.x are resource hogs, 3 may be better.

Not if the the 3.0 development snapshot is any indication. I have 2.3.1,
2.4.0, and 3.0dev on this machine. Just opening Writer on each and
looking at htop:

Version Mem%
2.3.1 6.2%
2.4.0 6.4%
3.0dev 6.4%

However, there are some significant memory enhancements in 2.4 & 3.0 so
that they won't use & steal/hold as much memory as 2.3.x.