Old 11-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Bill Moseley

Default CUPS, Firefox, and PPD to force Black and White

I have a HP Color LaserJet 2605dn postscript printer. I'd like to
make a separate black and white-only spooler and make it the default
to save on color toner when printing drafts and printing web pages.

So, I made a copy of my PPD file:

$ diff HP_BW_LaserJet_2605.ppd HP_Color_LaserJet_2605.ppd
70c70
< *ColorDevice: False
---
> *ColorDevice: True

And created a new spooler entry in printers.conf.

<DefaultPrinter HP_BW_LaserJet_2605>
Info HP 2605dn - Black & White (drafts!)
Location Office
DeviceURI socket://color_laser:9100
State Idle
StateTime 1180200175
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>
<Printer HP_Color_LaserJet_2605>
Info HP Color LaserJet 2605dn
Location Office
DeviceURI socket://color_laser:9100
State Idle
StateTime 1180200175
Accepting YesL
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

Now, printing from OpenOffice one spooler prints in B&W and the
other in Color.

But, printing from Firefox to the "HP_BW_LaserJet_2605" spooler still
prints in color.

Does Firefox somehow bypass the PPD? Or does it enable color printing
by default?

I guess my PPD hack isn't correct, or there's something else I'm
missing on how the PPD is used by Firefox.

Is there a better way to set this up?

Here's the PPD I used (except modified to enable duplex):

http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic-db/db/source/PPD/HP/HP_Color_LaserJet_2605.ppd

and my lpoptions file:

$ cat /home/moseley/.cups/lpoptions
Default HP_BW_LaserJet_2605

BTW -- Why doesn't Firefox offer the printer options from the PPD?
Just not a very advanced printing interface? Can I pipe the output
from Firefox thorugh, say, gtkpl?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org