Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Ulrich Baustian

Default Athlon II x4 620

I have the impression that only one of the 4 processors of the Athlon II
x4 620 of my ASRock motherboard is working under Ubuntu. Ubuntu seems
very slow compared to Windows. How can I check how many processors are
working? Is there any DEVICE MANAGER like in Windows, where I can see
how many processors are activated?

Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Haneef Bashir

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Ulrich Baustian <u.baustian@ymail.com> wrote:
> I have the impression that only one of the 4 processors of the Athlon II x4
> 620 of my ASRock motherboard is working under Ubuntu. Ubuntu seems very slow
> compared to Windows. How can I check how many processors are working? Is
> there any DEVICE MANAGER like in Windows, where I can see how many
> processors are activated?
try System monitor. That should tell you everything.

--
Haneef Bashir
T: 966-562059593

Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 PM
"compdoc"

> > working? Is there any DEVICE MANAGER like in Windows, where I can see
> > how many processors are activated?
> try System monitor. That should tell you everything.

Yes, on the resource tab, System Monitor should show you all four cpus and
the amount of utilization each is taking. Normally, they should all be quite
low when you aren't running any intensive programs. I have seen times when
one cpu was stuck at 100%, and that needs to be corrected - none should be
doing that.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Ric Moore

On 02/12/2012 07:11 AM, Haneef Bashir wrote:

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Ulrich Baustian<u.baustian@ymail.com> wrote:

I have the impression that only one of the 4 processors of the Athlon II x4
620 of my ASRock motherboard is working under Ubuntu. Ubuntu seems very slow
compared to Windows. How can I check how many processors are working? Is
there any DEVICE MANAGER like in Windows, where I can see how many
processors are activated?

try System monitor. That should tell you everything.

Good call. Plus, is the OP running 32bit or 64bit?? I'm running 6 AMD
cores and when they are needed, the others take up the slack. By direct
observation, using System Monitor, I watched Java6 stick mainly to one
core, right up to 100% on a heavy java load. Then I installed Java7 and
watched the other cores click in. ~SWEET~ But I rarely see more than 3-4
cores active at one time. Lotsa memory helps. 16gigs is fairly cheap
now, and I usually hold out for really cheap. Ric

Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

On 12-02-12 13:00, Ulrich Baustian wrote:

I have the impression that only one of the 4 processors of the Athlon II
x4 620 of my ASRock motherboard is working under Ubuntu. Ubuntu seems
very slow compared to Windows. How can I check how many processors are
working? Is there any DEVICE MANAGER like in Windows, where I can see
how many processors are activated?

In my opinion gkrellm - it's in the repositories - gives you an excelent
view, prphically an in percent of the different cores and the combined
cores. I use it for > 4 years.

Joep