Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 AM
"J. Bakshi"

Default backtrack iso booting from grub2

Hello,

As backtrack linux is based on ubuntu, I'm posting this query here.
I'm trying to boot Backtrack 5 iso directly from grub2. I have already
done so with ububtu and debian. Here is the entry for BT5 I have added at grub.cfg

```````````````````````
menuentry "BT-5" {
loopback loop /BT5-KDE-64.iso
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/BT5-KDE-64.iso nopersistent noprompt --
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.gz
}
```````````````````````````

but grub throws errors as

```````````````````````````
error:can't read linux header
error:you need to load linux kernel first
`````````````````````````

Any idea what is missing here ? I have already checked the iso by mounting as loop device
and confirmed the presence of casper/vmlinuz and casper/initrd.gz. So why is it complaining ?

Thanks

Old 02-13-2012, 03:24 AM
Jkhatri

As backtrack linux is based on ubuntu, I'm posting this query here.
I'm trying to boot Backtrack 5 iso directly from grub2. I have already
done so with ububtu and debian. Here is the entry for BT5 I have added at grub.cfg

```````````````````````
menuentry "BT-5" {
loopback loop /BT5-KDE-64.iso
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/BT5-KDE-64.iso nopersistent noprompt --
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.gz

<--snip--->

did you forget to run

update-grub ???** just in
case

Warm Regards

--

*/

Jatin
Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save
Paper, Save Environment.**

(Plant
at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)

Old 02-14-2012, 03:40 AM
"J. Bakshi"

Dear list,

I have live usb system where I already have debian, puppy, ubuntu etc.....
I like to boot backtrack iso from this usb drive.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Don deJuan

Here is the entry for BT5 I have added at grub.cfg

```````````````````````
menuentry "BT-5" {
loopback loop /BT5-KDE-64.iso
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/BT5-KDE-64.iso nopersistent noprompt --
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.gz
}
```````````````````````````

but grub throws errors as

```````````````````````````
error:can't read linux header
error:you need to load linux kernel first
`````````````````````````

Any idea what is missing here ? I have already checked the iso by mounting as loop device
and confirmed the presence of casper/vmlinuz and casper/initrd.gz. So why is it complaining ?

Thanks

Why would you not ask on backtrack forums? It is related to there mess.
Or even better GOOGLE your issue, I got quite a few including guides to
multi boot on USB with BT.

Hint there error is pretty obvious if you read what its telling you

Archive: 4F3A2E06.1090600@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F3A2E06.1090600@gmail.com

Old 02-19-2012, 11:11 PM
donatom

I got backtrack 5 iso to boot on multiboot grub2 usb drive. I got the
info from a backtrack help forum. This trick is to extract the "casper"
directory, placing it in the root of the usb drive (not in any other
directory).

My menuentry is as follows:

menuentry "BackTrack 5 32 bit" {
linux /casper/vmlinuz BOOT=casper boot=casper nopersistent rw vga=0x317
--
initrd /casper/initrd.gz
}

DO NOT use (loop) in the above menu -- it won't work (and there is no
loopback).

You will boot into a terminal. Then you shout enter "start networking"
command (without quotation marks). After this you enter "startx" command
and you should be presented with a BackTrack 5 gui environment