Old 02-11-2012, 10:47 PM
ahmed samir

Default Ubuntu won't detect my GPU (NVidida 520m 1GB)

Ubuntu can't detect my GPU. Jockey shows no drivers whatsoever and I can't even install the nvidia drivers through sudo apt-get install nvidia-current. That's what I get :
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.2.0-030200-generic (x86_64) Consult the make.log in the build directory /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-current/195.36.24/build/ for more information. dpkg: error processing nvidia-current (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 10 dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nvidia-current-dev: nvidia-current-dev depends on nvidia-current (>= 195.36.24); however: Package nvidia-current is not configured yet. dpkg: error processing nvidia-current-dev (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nvidia-glx-185: nvidia-glx-185 depends on nvidia-current; however: Package nvidia-current is not configured yet. dpkg: error processing nvidia-glx-185 (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured Processing triggers for python-gmenu ... No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure. No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure. Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache... Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ... update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-030200-generic Processing triggers for python-support ... Errors were encountered while processing: nvidia-current nvidia-current-dev nvidia-glx-185 E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 and the 3.2.0 kernel. any help ?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Ioannis Vranos

2012/2/12 ahmed samir <samiros99@hotmail.com>:
> Ubuntu can't detect my GPU. Jockey shows no drivers whatsoever and I can't
> even install the nvidia drivers through sudo apt-get install nvidia-current.
> That's what I get :

I think there may be some breaking changes between the provided Ubuntu
graphics card drivers, and kernel 3.2.

Give a try with the latest drivers from the nvidia web site, after
uninstalling any nvidia* packages in Ubuntu.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-12-2012, 07:20 AM
"ahmed samir "

Tried that already . . Didn't work. Do you have any more suggestions and Are you sure the problem is becausee of the kernel version ? I installed this kernel because the default kernel that comes with Ubuntu 10.04 was too old for my wireless card so I couldn't connect to the internet by any means. It would be really great if you can tell me a kernel version that would automatically detect both my GPU and my wireless card automatically.
My GPU : (NVidida 520m 1GB)
My wireless card : Intel Centrino Advanced N 6230
Would definitely appreciate your help.

Samir

Old 02-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM, ahmed samir <samiros99@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Tried that already . . Didn't work. Do you have any more suggestions and Are you sure the problem is becausee of the kernel version ? I installed this kernel because the default kernel that comes with Ubuntu 10.04 was too old for my wireless card so I couldn't connect to the internet by any means. It would be really great if you can tell me a kernel version that would automatically detect both my GPU and my wireless card automatically.
> My GPU : (NVidida 520m 1GB)
> My wireless card : Intel Centrino Advanced N 6230
> Would definitely appreciate your help.

Someone mentioned here, that 10.04 provides the 3 last kernels
backported. Have you checked them?

Old 02-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Liam Proven

On 12 February 2012 08:20, ahmed samir <samiros99@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I installed this kernel because the default kernel that comes with Ubuntu 10.04 was too old for my wireless card so I couldn't connect to the internet by any means.

What kernel did you install? Where from? How did you install it?

There is a choice of newer kernels available for 10.04 in the
repositories: you can choose from Maverick (2.6.35), Natty (2.6.38) or
Oneiric (3.0.0). Search for the codenames in Synaptic.

3.2 is not an option at the moment, AFAIK.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884