Old 11-27-2007, 02:40 PM
norman

Default 2 hard disks

I am setting up a new computer for my granddaughter, installed Edubuntu
and everything works without any problem. I have the hdd from the old
machine on which is installed Win XP. If I put this old drive into the
new computer, along with the new one, could it be made available in case
she needs to use windows for a game or something? I presume that the old
drive would have to be set as a slave but what else needs to be done
please?

Norman

Old 11-27-2007, 03:42 PM
"B.J. McClure"

Two options come to mind:

*** 1.* If the computer is fairly new there is usually an option in the bios to set boot order for hard drives and removable media.* Setting that option to hdd1 (or the equivilant) should boot the XP drive.

*** 2.* A slightly more elegant solution is to do

*********** sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

then add something like this to the bottom of that file.

title Windows XP professional

map (hd0) (hd1)

map (hd1) (hd0)

rootnoverify (hd1,0)

chainloader +1

Cheers

***

CentOS 5.0, Linux 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5 x86_64 10:36:14 up 3:12, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.05, 0.01

Old 11-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Pete Clapham

This is easy in any flavor of Linux/Unix.* The new
disk is hdb or sdb, depending on whether it's IDE or SATA.* The 'b' is
the important thing.* Define a mount point (e.g. /home/annie/disk2,
where /home/annie is Annie's home directory).* Then mount the /dev/hdb1
as /home/annie/disk2 (the 1 is added when you format the disk to ext3
or ext2, as is the UUID).* You then should add the mount information to
the /etc/fstab table.* The easiest way to do this is to sudo gedit
/etc/fstab and add the line immediately below the line for hda1.* It
can be almost exactly the same; simply change hda1 to hdb1; and correct
the mount point, but don't change the UUID that's given there.*
There is a bunch of other information in the fstab table as well, but
you can use the same numbers as present for other drives.* This sounds
like a lot of hard work, and it is more involved than with Windows, but
it's also a lot more flexible, since it lets you put the new disk
within the file system the way you want rather than lockstep C:
D: E: . . . .

Good luck.

cheers,

pete

--
Pete Clapham
Department of Biological, Geological, and Environmental Sciences

Voice: [216] 687-4820
Fax: [216] 687-6972
w.clapham@csuohio.edu

Old 11-27-2007, 04:21 PM
NoOp

On 11/27/2007 07:40 AM, norman wrote:
> I am setting up a new computer for my granddaughter, installed Edubuntu
> and everything works without any problem. I have the hdd from the old
> machine on which is installed Win XP. If I put this old drive into the
> new computer, along with the new one, could it be made available in case
> she needs to use windows for a game or something? I presume that the old
> drive would have to be set as a slave but what else needs to be done
> please?
>
> Norman

Yes. It's easy to do. All you need to do is:

1. Modify your /boot/grub/menu.lst to add the following at the bottom
(assumes the second drive will be sdb1):

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the
Debian ones
title Other operating systems:
root

# Non-linux OS on /dev/sdb1
title Windows XP
root (hd1,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1

2. Make a directory for mounting the second drive:

$ cd /media
$ sudo mkdir /media/windows

3. Modify your /etc/fstab to add the following (assumes the drive is
ntfs, if it's fat32 modify accordingly, or use 'auto' in place of ntfs
or fat32:

/dev/sdb1 /media/windows ntfs iocharset=utf8,umask=000 0 0

4. Set the second drive to cable select/slave, boot.

Now the grub menu will show your XP boot option.
Boot *first* into Ubuntu to make sure that Ubuntu mounts the second
drive - it should show up as an icon on your desktop and also in
Places/Nautilus (does Eubuntu use the Gnome or KDE desktop?).
After assuring all is well in Ubuntu, go back & reboot. This time
select the XP option & boot into Windows. Windows may complain that it
has new hardward to intstall (your sda1 drive), ignore it.

That's pretty much it.

Hints:

1. I'd recommend converting the Windows drive to ntfs if it is currently
fat32. It's easy to do: open a terminal window in Windows, enter:
convert C: /fs:ntfs

Syntax

convert [volume] /fs:ntfs [/v] [/cvtarea:FileName] [/nosecurity] [/x]

That will give you a more secure file system *and* allow you to store
files larger than 4Gb on the drive - the Ubuntu Gutsy DVD for instance.

2. You will be able to read/write from/to the Windows drive from Ubuntu.
If you want to be able to do the same from Windows to the Ubuntu drive,
use: http://www.fs-driver.org/ *Caution* this will allow you to r/w to
anything on the Ubuntu drive, so you could easily screw up your Ubuntu
install. Also because the Ubuntu drive will appear as a standard drive
under Windows, a Windows virus/trojan could possibly embedd itself onto
the Ubuntu drive. It won't affect Ubuntu when you are booted under
linux, but it can make it very difficult for a Windows AntiVirus program
to find when booted under Windows.
Further, if you allow a Windows AV to scan the linux drive, it's quite
possible that the Windows AV could screw up your drive. So, instead scan
the linux drive using AV programs that are in your linux repositories
(clamav). In other words: only use your Windows AV to scan Windows
drives, do not use it to scan your linux drive(s). You can safely use
the linux AV (clamav) to scan both the linux and the Windows drives.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ClamAV
http://www.clamav.net/
http://klamav.sourceforge.net/klamavwiki/index.php/Main_Page
[nice gui frontend for KDE that can also be used with Gnome]

Old 11-27-2007, 04:44 PM
NoOp

On 11/27/2007 09:21 AM, NoOp wrote:

> Further, if you allow a Windows AV to scan the linux drive, it's quite
> possible that the Windows AV could screw up your drive. So, instead scan
> the linux drive using AV programs that are in your linux repositories
> (clamav). In other words: only use your Windows AV to scan Windows
> drives, do not use it to scan your linux drive(s). You can safely use
> the linux AV (clamav) to scan both the linux and the Windows drives.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ClamAV
> http://www.clamav.net/
> http://klamav.sourceforge.net/klamavwiki/index.php/Main_Page
> [nice gui frontend for KDE that can also be used with Gnome]

Scratch:
You can safely use
> the linux AV (clamav) to scan both the linux and the Windows drives.

k/clamav will falsely tag many large files on your windows system - so
use the Windows AV to scan Windows, and the linux k/clamav to scan your
linux drives.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:51 PM
"B.J. McClure"

If I put this old drive into the
new computer, along with the new one, could it be made available in case
she needs to use windows for a game or something?

This suggests to me the OP wants to boot the XP drive, not just mount it for read/write operations.

B.J.

CentOS 5.0, Linux 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5 x86_64 12:49:03 up 5:25, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

Old 11-27-2007, 06:09 PM
norman

> > > If I put this old drive into the
> > > new computer, along with the new one, could it be made available in case
> > > she needs to use windows for a game or something?
> This suggests to me the OP wants to boot the XP drive, not just mount it for read/write operations.

That is absolutely correct.

Norman

Old 11-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Carl Spitzer

If your interested in data interchange between Linux and Winblows XP
then create either a Win32 partition or an ext2 for which there is a
windows driver. BTW XP will complain about the new sound graphics and
nic and you might have to register it again because it will think its a
new machine as if that was any of BG business.

FYI also handles windows wierd method of partition marking.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

--

o _______________________________
o _____ | CWSIV@KeepAndBearArms.com |
> (________|__|_[_________]_|___________________________|
_/oo OOOOO oo` ooo ooo 'o!o!o o!o!o`

Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 PM
John Carlyle-Clarke

norman wrote:
> I am setting up a new computer for my granddaughter, installed Edubuntu
> and everything works without any problem. I have the hdd from the old
> machine on which is installed Win XP. If I put this old drive into the
> new computer, along with the new one, could it be made available in case
> she needs to use windows for a game or something? I presume that the old
> drive would have to be set as a slave but what else needs to be done
> please?

Am I right in thinking that the Windows drive is from a different PC?
If so, you can probably forget it - I'd be surprised if Windows will
boot. You may find that it will after you do a repair installation (I
suggest you do that with the drive as the only drive connected to avoid
the Windows installer munging your Linux install). It may be easier
just to re-install Windows.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:29 PM
NoOp

On 11/28/2007 03:03 PM, John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
> norman wrote:
>> I am setting up a new computer for my granddaughter, installed Edubuntu
>> and everything works without any problem. I have the hdd from the old
>> machine on which is installed Win XP. If I put this old drive into the
>> new computer, along with the new one, could it be made available in case
>> she needs to use windows for a game or something? I presume that the old
>> drive would have to be set as a slave but what else needs to be done
>> please?
>>

> Am I right in thinking that the Windows drive is from a different PC?
> If so, you can probably forget it - I'd be surprised if Windows will
> boot. You may find that it will after you do a repair installation (I
> suggest you do that with the drive as the only drive connected to avoid
> the Windows installer munging your Linux install). It may be easier
> just to re-install Windows.

Read my post in this thread. Of course windows will boot if it was the
boot drive to begin with. I've just finished 4 systems doing exactly the
same. Did not need to reinstall, just added the windows drive as the
slave & configured menu.lst & fstab accordingly.