Old 04-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Corey Bettenhausen

Default NetTime Software for Ubuntu?

FreeLUG Sierra Leone wrote:
> We are planning to set up an open source library and resource centre and I want to know if there is any opensource net timer to run on Ubuntu.
Are you talking about network time protocol (NTP)? This is used to keep
the time on computers synchronized with one another. If so, yes,
there's one already installed. See 'man ntpd'.
Cheers,
-Corey

Old 04-03-2008, 08:44 PM
David Curtis

FreeLUG Sierra Leone wrote:
> We are planning to set up an open source library and resource centre and I want to know if there is any opensource net timer to run on Ubuntu.

sudo apt-get install ntpd

then add what ever time servers you want into /etc/ntp.conf.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:26 PM
FreeLUG Sierra Leone

I am refering to NetTimer server and client program
like CyberCafe Pro. One used to time customer for the
duration he is using the Internet or a PC.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 PM
David Curtis

FreeLUG Sierra Leone wrote:
> I am refering to NetTimer server and client program
> like CyberCafe Pro. One used to time customer for the
> duration he is using the Internet or a PC.
>
> --- Corey Bettenhausen <corey@31415926535.com> wrote:
>
>> FreeLUG Sierra Leone wrote:
>>> We are planning to set up an open source library
>> and resource centre and I want to know if there is
>> any opensource net timer to run on Ubuntu.
>> Are you talking about network time protocol (NTP)?
>> This is used to keep
>> the time on computers synchronized with one another.
>> If so, yes,
>> there's one already installed. See 'man ntpd'.
>> Cheers,
>> -Corey

A google search reveals Outkafe,

http://outkastsolutions.co.za/outkast/index.php?option=com_openwiki&id=outkafe

Could not find it in the repositories.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Bob McConnell

David Curtis wrote:
> FreeLUG Sierra Leone wrote:
>> We are planning to set up an open source library and resource centre and I want to know if there is any opensource net timer to run on Ubuntu.
>>
> sudo apt-get install ntpd
>
> then add what ever time servers you want into /etc/ntp.conf.

The best source for time servers is:

<http://www.pool.ntp.org/>

You should be able to use some in your region.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP