Old 02-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Linda

Default pull off pen drive

On 02/11/2012 06:53 AM, William Alencar Barros wrote:

Hi,
I wish to know if - like in the Windows - we need to use
some type of safety remove, to remove the pen drive,
ipods, hd, etc. And if yes, where or the procedure to do it.

Indeed the safety remove clear the tension at the USB
connection, avoiding spurious tensions to damage the pen
drive.

tks

wab

Right click with your mouse and choose safely remove drive

Old 02-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Avi Greenbury

William Alencar Barros wrote:
> I wish to know if - like in the Windows - we need to use some type of
> safety remove, to remove the pen drive, ipods, hd, etc. And if yes,
> where or the procedure to do it.

Yeah, it's common to all disk access means where you can write data to
the disk.

It varies slightly depending on which flavour of Ubuntu you're using,
but genrally there's an eject symbol (it looks a bit like an
underlined '^') next to the drive in the left pane of the file browser.
Clicking that will make it safe to remove.

--
Avi

Old 02-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

> It varies slightly depending on which flavour of Ubuntu you're using,
> but genrally there's an eject symbol (it looks a bit like an
> underlined '^') next to the drive in the left pane of the file browser.
> Clicking that will make it safe to remove.

I noticed that there are two types of "umounting" a USB drive on the desktop.

1. The first type involves "ejecting the drive" in GNOME but the USB
drive power light remains on.

2. The second type involves going to the disk utility and "powering
down the drive" and the USB drive power light goes off.

I have experienced no loss in data with both methods. I note that
Microsoft's default action is the second type.

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin