Old 02-11-2012, 10:51 AM
"Thomas F. Duellmann"

Default System freeze (Nvidia / Flash)

Hello,

I'm experiencing very strange system freezes for some time now.
Occasionally (at least once a day) my system freezes while (or after)
using flash content (e.g. watching youtube videos). The whole UI freezes
(even the clock) and the only thing I can do is moving the mouse
pointer. Any keyboard inputs do not have any effect. The system itself
still seemed to run (because I could log on via ssh on that system).
Finally the only thing to get it back to work is a hard reset.

Unfortunately the only hint I got yet is a kern.log entry:

NVRM: Xid (0000:01:00): 31, Ch 00000007, engmask 00000120, intr 10000000

(which is the same after each crash)

I found out that this entry has to do something with nVidia drivers, so
I'll provide some information on my GPU and the corresponding driver:
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTS450
Driver Version: 290.10 (installed manually from Nvidia website).

While trying to get rid of this problem I tried the recommended Nvidia
driver provided by the "additional drivers" tool and several other
manually installed drivers (like 285.X) - but the problem persisted.

I also tried to use different Adobe Flash (Player) versions from Ubuntu
repositories or Adobe website - but that also didn't have any effect.

I'm trying to find a solution for this for some time now. Unfortunately
the only alternative I currently see is reinstalling my system - because
it is very annoying and disrupting.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Thomas

Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Basil Chupin

I'm experiencing very strange system freezes for some time now.
Occasionally (at least once a day) my system freezes while (or after)
using flash content (e.g. watching youtube videos). The whole UI freezes
(even the clock) and the only thing I can do is moving the mouse
pointer. Any keyboard inputs do not have any effect. The system itself
still seemed to run (because I could log on via ssh on that system).
Finally the only thing to get it back to work is a hard reset.

Cannot help with the lock-ups but instead of doing a hard reset try
holding down CTRL+ALT and pressing BACKSPACE 2 times. This will close
down your window manager (the X system actually) and you will be able to
logon but without the hard reset.

BC

--
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:29 AM
"Thomas F. Duellmann"

Thanks for you fast response!

Unfortunately even that didn't work.
I tried nearly all key combinations with Strg + Alt but nothing
happened.
After a (quite long) while the screen turned black and the message
"Begin: Loading essential drivers ... done." appeared.
After several minutes of waiting I did a hard reset.

While being frozen the system responded to ping requests from another
pc. So the system itself seemed to run properly. Something seems to
'mess up' the X-Server or anything else UI-related.
Can anybody give me a hint how to investigate the source of this problem
or would you recommend to just do a fresh install?

Thomas D

Old 02-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Thomas F. Duellmann <t.duellmann@gmx.de> wrote:
> Thanks for you fast response!
>
> Unfortunately even that didn't work.
> I tried nearly all key combinations with Strg + Alt but nothing
> happened.
> After a (quite long) while the screen turned black and the message
> "Begin: Loading essential drivers ... done." appeared.
> After several minutes of waiting I did a hard reset.
>
> While being frozen the system responded to ping requests from another
> pc. So the system itself seemed to run properly. Something seems to
> 'mess up' the X-Server or anything else UI-related.
> Can anybody give me a hint how to investigate the source of this problem
> or would you recommend to just do a fresh install?

I think it is an NVIDIA driver problem. The driver that comes with
Ubuntu 11.10 (280.13), supports your graphics card.

If you use an older Ubuntu version, try downloading version NVIDIA
driver 285.0509.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-12-2012, 03:07 AM
Basil Chupin

I tried nearly all key combinations with Strg + Alt but nothing
happened.
After a (quite long) while the screen turned black and the message
"Begin: Loading essential drivers ... done." appeared.
After several minutes of waiting I did a hard reset.

While being frozen the system responded to ping requests from another
pc. So the system itself seemed to run properly. Something seems to
'mess up' the X-Server or anything else UI-related.
Can anybody give me a hint how to investigate the source of this problem
or would you recommend to just do a fresh install?

I think it is an NVIDIA driver problem. The driver that comes with
Ubuntu 11.10 (280.13), supports your graphics card.

If you use an older Ubuntu version, try downloading version NVIDIA
driver 285.0509.

I wonder if using nVidia configuration and then saving the settings
would help because the settings would then be saved to xorg.conf (and be
included at boot time)?

BC

--
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 AM
"Thomas F. Duellmann"

On Sun, 2012-02-12 at 05:12 +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Thomas F. Duellmann <t.duellmann@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Thanks for you fast response!
> >
> > Unfortunately even that didn't work.
> > I tried nearly all key combinations with Strg + Alt but nothing
> > happened.
> > After a (quite long) while the screen turned black and the message
> > "Begin: Loading essential drivers ... done." appeared.
> > After several minutes of waiting I did a hard reset.
> >
> > While being frozen the system responded to ping requests from another
> > pc. So the system itself seemed to run properly. Something seems to
> > 'mess up' the X-Server or anything else UI-related.
> > Can anybody give me a hint how to investigate the source of this problem
> > or would you recommend to just do a fresh install?
>
> I think it is an NVIDIA driver problem. The driver that comes with
> Ubuntu 11.10 (280.13), supports your graphics card.
>
> If you use an older Ubuntu version, try downloading version NVIDIA
> driver 285.0509.

I just uninstalled the 290.10 driver and installed the recommended one
via jockey ("Additional Drivers") which is version 280.13.
Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. Opened up several youtube
videos and clicked around and eventually my system, respectively the UI
locked up again
I fear that there's a problem between flash(player) and NVIDIA driver. I
just can remember that this must have started after upgrading to 11.10
and removing those sevenmachines (PPA) flash player version and
installing the one from ubuntu-repos.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:18 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

I'm on youtube right now, to see the Celtic video, and nothing happens.
I just have a black screen where I should be seeing the damn video. Must
have been the latest updates. Damn... Ok, using synaptic to re-install
adobe flash. Well see if it was a kernel change that blew it up. I'll
restart firefox when it's done.

OK! That was it! Just reinstall flashplugin-downloader ! Enjoy! Ric

Here's a good test subject!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7zEY7RFH1s&feature=related

Old 02-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Ric Moore

I just uninstalled the 290.10 driver and installed the recommended one
via jockey ("Additional Drivers") which is version 280.13.
Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. Opened up several youtube
videos and clicked around and eventually my system, respectively the UI
locked up again
I fear that there's a problem between flash(player) and NVIDIA driver. I
just can remember that this must have started after upgrading to 11.10
and removing those sevenmachines (PPA) flash player version and
installing the one from ubuntu-repos.

Did you get this working? I had to re-install flash. Ric

Old 02-14-2012, 06:38 PM
"Thomas F. Duellmann"

Reinstalling didn't work for me. I reinstalled my system and hope that
this error doesn't occur again (hopefully). Running Xubuntu 11.10 with
recommended nVidia-Drivers and the adope-flashplugin from repos. As soon
as I tested watching flash videos I'll give a report.