Old 02-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Jan Johansson

Default Grub and reboot on failure?

Hello!

*

Since upgrading my HTPC to 11.10 I have occasionally gotten a failure to boot.

*

When this happens I get a graphical splash screen saying “couldn’t read file”.

If I perform a cold restart the system comes up with the menu to select which OS to boot (as a result of the failure to boot I assume). I can then select any option, and the system will always boot.

*

Is it possible to configure Grub to always reboot on failure, and always automatically pick the default boot option?

*

I have played around with BIOS settings, but I cannot seem to get rid of the problem.

I cannot find any reason to believe that there actually is a problem with the disk.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Avi Greenbury

Jan Johansson wrote:

> When this happens I get a graphical splash screen saying "couldn't
> read file".

Does it say which file? If it's graphical, that sounds like this is
after Grub has done its thing, and so after loading the kernel, does
that match your observations?

--
Avi.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Jan Johansson

>Does it say which file? If it's graphical, that sounds like this is after Grub has done its thing, and so after loading the >kernel, does that match your observations?

No it does not show which file.

I do not think it is after kernel start, I think it is before. The splash screen has a "Debian-operating system" blurb and what appears to be a stylized earth-horizin at the bottom.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Avi Greenbury

Jan Johansson wrote:
> I do not think it is after kernel start, I think it is before. The
> splash screen has a "Debian-operating system" blurb and what appears
> to be a stylized earth-horizin at the bottom.

That sounds a lot like it's trying to boot a Debian Squeeze install.
Is the image with the earth horizon this:

http://lazybrowndog.net/debian/squeeze/bugfixes/grub/grub-problems.png

If so, have you any idea why you might be booting into Debian's GRUB?
Might you be booting off the wrong disk or similar?

--
Avi.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Jan Johansson

>That sounds a lot like it's trying to boot a Debian Squeeze install.
>Is the image with the earth horizon this:
>
>http://lazybrowndog.net/debian/squeeze/bugfixes/grub/grub-problems.png

Almost. Mine is more desaturated, and the rocket is doing a little debian spin at the top right. But yes, pretty close.

No, I do not know why it might be booting a debian system, there has never been anything other than Ubuntu on this box.