-   -   First of several questions (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/63140-first-several-questions.html)

Ted Hilts 04-02-2008 10:39 PM

First of several questions

I have version 7.10 Desktop and Servers -- Gutsy.

When I select "Quit" from the System menu and then select "Hibernate" my
computer displays an information list and then shuts down the computer
with everything turned off. When I press the power on computer switch
my session before hibernating is available to me. However there is at
the bottom of my screen (upon power up) an error message indicating that
the computer could not hibernate. This is strange because it definitely
hibernated. Is this a known bug? Why would there be this contradiction?

Thanks, Ted

Karl Auer 04-02-2008 10:48 PM

First of several questions

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 16:39 -0600, Ted Hilts wrote:
> When I select "Quit" from the System menu and then select "Hibernate" my
> computer displays an information list and then shuts down the computer
> with everything turned off. When I press the power on computer switch
> my session before hibernating is available to me. However there is at
> the bottom of my screen (upon power up) an error message indicating that
> the computer could not hibernate. This is strange because it definitely
> hibernated. Is this a known bug? Why would there be this contradiction?

I have a similar thing with Feisty and sleeping - I get a message, when
it restores, that it couldn't sleep properly. But it was definitely
asleep as far as the hardware was concerned. It never seems to have any
bad effect.

I actually suspect that the message was issued BEFORE it slept, and is
still there when it comes back ;-)

Regards, K.