Old 04-02-2008, 10:34 PM
"Jon Grant"

Default updatedb not updating to include external drive

Hello experts!

I'm unable to get updatedb to index my external drive. Any ideas?

I edited /etc/updatedb.conf to not exclude /media :-

# paths which are pruned from updatedb database
PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /usr/tmp /var/tmp /afs /amd /alex /var/spool /sfs"
export PRUNEPATHS

My usb2 drive is mounted at /media/usb

When i manually run "updatedb" it returns after 1 sec. Likewise if I
run /etc/cron.daily/slocate it also returns after 1sec.

any help appreciated, this used to work in the previous ubuntu that I
have on my desktop PC.

Kind regards, Jon
--
web: http://jguk.org/

Old 04-05-2008, 10:32 AM
"Jon Grant"

Hello.

Just sending my question again to see if anyone has any ideas. Forward
of original is below.
cheers, Jon

Old 04-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Nils Kassube

Jon Grant wrote:
> I'm unable to get updatedb to index my external drive. Any ideas?
>
> I edited /etc/updatedb.conf to not exclude /media :-
>
> # paths which are pruned from updatedb database
> PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /usr/tmp /var/tmp /afs /amd /alex /var/spool /sfs"
> export PRUNEPATHS

Check if your external drive uses one of the file systems mentioned for
PRUNEFS in /etc/updatedb.conf.

Nils

Old 04-07-2008, 08:33 PM
"Jon Grant"

On 05/04/2008, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Jon Grant wrote:
> > I'm unable to get updatedb to index my external drive. Any ideas?
> >
> > I edited /etc/updatedb.conf to not exclude /media :-
> >
> > # paths which are pruned from updatedb database
> > PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /usr/tmp /var/tmp /afs /amd /alex /var/spool /sfs"
> > export PRUNEPATHS
>

> Check if your external drive uses one of the file systems mentioned for
> PRUNEFS in /etc/updatedb.conf.

Hmm, I don't think it is excluded:

Global options for invocations of find(1)
FINDOPTIONS='-ignore_readdir_race'
export FINDOPTIONS
# filesystems which are pruned from updatedb database
PRUNEFS="NFS nfs nfs4 afs binfmt_misc proc smbfs autofs iso9660 ncpfs
coda devpts ftpfs devfs mfs shfs sysfs cifs lustre_lite tmpfs usbfs
udf"
export PRUNEFS
# paths which are pruned from updatedb database
PRUNEPATHS="/tmp /usr/tmp /var/tmp /afs /amd /alex /var/spool /sfs"
export PRUNEPATHS
# netpaths which are added
NETPATHS=""
export NETPATHS
# run find as this user
LOCALUSER="nobody"
export LOCALUSER
# cron.daily/find: run at this priority -- higher number means lower priority
# (this is relative to the default which cron sets, which is usually +5)
NICE=10
export NICE
# cron.daily: I/O priority
# 1 for real time, 2 for best-effort (3 for idle is only allowed for root!)
IONICE_CLASS=2
export IONICE_CLASS
# 0-7 (for IONICE_CLASS 1 and 2 only), 0=highest, 7=lowest
IONICE_PRIORITY=7
export IONICE_PRIORITY

it is mounted as ext3

/dev/sdb1 on /media/external type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=now3d)

iin /etc/fstab it is like this:

/dev/sdb1 /media/external auto defaults,user,noexec 0

^ but it doesn't mount automatically when I boot my laptop, is there a
way to get it to do that? Will that still work if the external USB2
drive is not plugged in?

thanks for the tips
Kind regards, Jon