FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-10-2012, 03:11 PM
ahmed samir
 
Default ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 90, Issue 41

On startup, I have 2 options; Ubuntu and Unity 2d. I always Choose Ubuntu. I run the test co/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p and that's what I get:
Xlib: *extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib: *extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Xlib: *extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".Error: unable to create the OpenGL context
My Graphics card is pretty new. I've been working on a much weaker older graphics card for almost 2 years now on my old laptop and I was using compiz to the max flawlessly. It's just frutrating to suddenly lack all effects. Is it possible that my card doesn't support compiz or am i missing some sort of library or package ?
Samir
> From: ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 90, Issue 41
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 15:34:55 +0000
>
> Send ubuntu-users mailing list submissions to
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> ubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of ubuntu-users digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Changes to CCSM in Ubuntu 11.10 don't take effect (ahmed samir)
> 2. Re: Ubuntu 12.04 suddenly feeling more like an Alpha
> (Basil Chupin)
> 3. Re: Ubuntu 12.04 suddenly feeling more like an Alpha (Liam Proven)
> 4. Re: Changes to CCSM in Ubuntu 11.10 don't take effect (Colin Law)
> 5. Re: Ubuntu 12.04 suddenly feeling more like an Alpha (Colin Law)
> 6. Re: multiple downloads with scp (Zind)
> 7. Ubuntu accessing MacOSX user folder. (Dave Woyciesjes)
> 8. Re: Changes to CCSM in Ubuntu 11.10 don't take effect
> (Ioannis Vranos)
> 9. Mount a Windows 7 Hard Disk, in Ubuntu? (justino garcia)
> 10. Re: Ubuntu accessing MacOSX user folder. (Ioannis Vranos)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:15:23 +0200
> From: ahmed samir <samiros99@hotmail.com>
> To: <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Changes to CCSM in Ubuntu 11.10 don't take effect
> Message-ID: <BLU162-W459712FBE1893D239ADD8DB7780@phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1256"
>
>
> Dear All,
> After installing Ubuntu 11.10 and installing CCSM, I discovered that changes I make to CCSM settings take no effect what so ever. I have the DELL XPS 14z with Nvidia GeForce GT520M with 1GB video memory, Nvidia Optimus graphics switching technology. Any ideas what's going on ?Thank you.
> Samir
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/attachments/20120210/9fdb984f/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 23:33:49 +1100
> From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au>
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: Ubuntu 12.04 suddenly feeling more like an Alpha
> Message-ID: <4F350EAD.4070505@iinet.net.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
>
> On 10/02/12 19:57, Colin Law wrote:
> > On 9 February 2012 22:09, Alan Pope<alan.pope@canonical.com> wrote:
> >> On 09/02/12 21:56, Pongo A. Pan wrote:
> >>> Using nVidia hardware/drivers? If so, you're cautioned today not to do
> >>> any upgrades. See
> >>>
> >>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/929384
> >>>
> >> Yup, that'd be it.
> > Nope, Intel graphics.
>
> Short and sweet - and straight thru the heart! :-D
>
> > Colin
>
> BC
>
>
>
> --
> Aspire to inspire before you expire.
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:04:01 +0000
> From: Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: Ubuntu 12.04 suddenly feeling more like an Alpha
> Message-ID:
> <CAMTenCH1EySh7VSA=vzV-j51qe7qLYAytGbk3ZLySKhwWYeHpA@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252
>
> On 9 February 2012 21:47, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > 12.04 Alpha has (for me) been amazingly stable right since Alpha 1
> > release. ?Till today.
> > Has anyone else running 12.04 Alpha found that it has suddenly gone
> > awry with a round of updates? ?It starts ok but then the GUI just
> > seems to grind to a halt. ?The clock in the top panel stops and
> > nothing much works. ?I have to resort dropping back to a terminal and
> > restarting. ?Strangely I can't find anything in the logs to indicate
> > what the problem is to see if there is a relevant bug report. ?I tried
> > the previous kernel but no different.
> > I am not complaining as it is an Alpha after all.
> > Hopefully it will all start working again with some more updates.
>
> For what little it's worth, I strongly agree.
>
> I put 12.04 on my "spare" system on my desktop just 2 days ago, after
> running it successfully on 2 or 3 testbed notebooks. On them, it was
> fine. On the desktop, it's a bit of a mess & hangs all the time.
>
> But yes, I do have nVidia graphics...
>
> On another note: I don't know if folk have seen the comments from the
> SABDFL on Popey's G+:
>
> https://plus.google.com/108611501090787019364/posts/QMV7Uf4YS4k
>
> The "dodge windows" option is being removed completely from the Launcher.
>
> Also, on multihead desktops, you now get one Launcher per screen -
> which I personally hate.
>
> --
> Liam Proven ? Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk ? GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
> MSN: lproven@hotmail.com ? Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 ? Cell: +44 7939-087884
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:14:45 +0000
> From: Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: Changes to CCSM in Ubuntu 11.10 don't take effect
> Message-ID:
> <CAL=0gLtzOZnpCCrFk8LrA3=FK184Wyc-Jbax5gj3T8CJ8m3KmQ@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> 2012/2/10 ahmed samir <samiros99@hotmail.com>:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > After installing Ubuntu 11.10 and installing CCSM, I discovered that changes
> > I make to CCSM settings take no effect what so ever. I have the DELL XPS 14z
> > with?Nvidia GeForce GT520M with 1GB video memory, Nvidia Optimus graphics
> > switching technology. Any ideas what's going on ?
>
> Are you possibly running unity-2d rather than the 3d version? If,
> when you hover over the launcher the popup names have a crisp white
> border you are using 2d, if they are soft then 3d. To switch, click
> the cog above password field on logon screen, but if your graphic
> hardware will not support 3d then you get 2d even if you don't select
> it.
>
> Colin
>
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Samir
> >
> > --
> > ubuntu-users mailing list
> > ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> > Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
> >
>
>
>
> --
> gplus.to/clanlaw
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:26:03 +0000
> From: Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: Ubuntu 12.04 suddenly feeling more like an Alpha
> Message-ID:
> <CAL=0gLsqTwHhS_sM2mXGaqZKJX1hOT2PTPPxcV57Gj7pw3Ze KA@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> On 10 February 2012 12:33, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > On 10/02/12 19:57, Colin Law wrote:
> >>
> >> On 9 February 2012 22:09, Alan Pope<alan.pope@canonical.com> ?wrote:
> >>>
> >>> On 09/02/12 21:56, Pongo A. Pan wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>> Using nVidia hardware/drivers? ?If so, you're cautioned today not to do
> >>>> any upgrades. ?See
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/929384
> >>>>
> >>> Yup, that'd be it.
> >>
> >> Nope, Intel graphics.
> >
> >
> > Short and sweet - and straight thru the heart! :-D
>
> Unfortunately not, it appears I dropped the knife and stabbed myself
> in the foot. Bug summary not withstanding (I've always wanted to
> write that, though I am not 100% sure that is correct usage) it
> appears that it did not solely apply to nvidia. At least the latest
> updates have fixed it anyway.
>
> I have been very impressed with the stability of 12.04, with only an
> occasional wobble till yesterday, and that has been sorted very
> quickly.
>
> Colin
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 23:02:34 +0800
> From: Zind <wzmindlog@gmail.com>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: multiple downloads with scp
> Message-ID:
> <CA+KygtMNwQp5q9yT5JqfK67D6KkojMErgQ2R8g7Rkkw1js_U Ow@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > scp seems to only allow single thread download when I want scp a
> > directory of files. Is there way to download multiple files
> > simultanously with scp? Or is there some similar tool that allow
> > simultaneous download?
> >
>
> Hi
> Are you transfering files between client and server?
> Maybe you can try FileZilla, a GUI file transfer application.
> Meanwhile, it upload/download multiple files/directories sequentially.
> Also, it's highly configurable.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/attachments/20120210/31f79ec8/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:11:55 -0500
> From: Dave Woyciesjes <woyciesjes@sbcglobal.net>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Ubuntu accessing MacOSX user folder.
> Message-ID: <4F3533BB.1090109@sbcglobal.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> I've got my MacBook Pro dual booting OSX 10.6 and Ubuntu 11.10. Now
> what I want to do is to be able to use the Documents (and others) folder
> in the OSX user folder (/User/Dave/Documents) with Ubuntu as well.
> Yes, there are many how-tos that mention using a third partition for
> this. Since I don't have a lot of extra space (and I'd rather not
> anyway); I need to figure out a good way to get the permissions right...
> Since OSX user number is 501, and Ubuntu start at 1001; that's a bit of
> a hiccup.
>
> One thought I had was to create a group on each os, "crossover" and set
> the groups to have matching numbers as well. Then in Mac OSX I would
> give the crossover group rwx permissions on the folder I want access to.
> I'd also have to add a line to fstab to get the OSX partition mounted
> automatically as well.
>
> This all make sense, or am I headed down the wrong (or bad?) path?
>
> --
> --- Dave Woyciesjes
> --- ICQ# 905818
> --- AIM - woyciesjes
> --- CompTIA A+ Certified IT Tech - http://certification.comptia.org/
> --- HDI Certified Support Center Analyst - http://www.ThinkHDI.com/
> Registered Linux user number 464583
>
> "Computers have lots of memory but no imagination."
> "The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back."
> - from some guy on the internet.
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:22:28 +0200
> From: Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: Changes to CCSM in Ubuntu 11.10 don't take effect
> Message-ID:
> <CAFm7BUK-fBSnEbC5VUuG2DCqf-ZsM5rQmskoUkHwaGkdoio=3w@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> 2012/2/10 ahmed samir <samiros99@hotmail.com>:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > After installing Ubuntu 11.10 and installing CCSM, I discovered that changes
> > I make to CCSM settings take no effect what so ever. I have the DELL XPS 14z
> > with?Nvidia GeForce GT520M with 1GB video memory, Nvidia Optimus graphics
> > switching technology. Any ideas what's going on ?
> > Thank you.
>
> Probably you are running Unity 2D and not Unity. Have you installed
> the proprietary NVIDIA driver, with System Settings->Additional
> Drivers?
>
>
> --
> Ioannis Vranos
>
> http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:24:29 -0500
> From: justino garcia <jgarciaitlist@gmail.com>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Mount a Windows 7 Hard Disk, in Ubuntu?
> Message-ID:
> <CAPwJPUJuYWkZVSY-oivNZuvmo2hn=fnbZi6XpnekPpWy34f6YA@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Can I recover files from a Windows 7 Hard Disk in Ubuntu?
> Just pictures on that disk...
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Justin
> IT-TECH
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/attachments/20120210/b5791242/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:34:54 +0200
> From: Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com>
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
> <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: Ubuntu accessing MacOSX user folder.
> Message-ID:
> <CAFm7BUKJzTwTw0V0RQKzTyGkQGWMeNAdEpU4WrJfWfanTgyR rg@mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Dave Woyciesjes
> <woyciesjes@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > ? ? ? ?I've got my MacBook Pro dual booting OSX 10.6 and Ubuntu 11.10. Now
> > what I want to do is to be able to use the Documents (and others) folder in
> > the OSX user folder (/User/Dave/Documents) with Ubuntu as well.
> > ? ? ? ?Yes, there are many how-tos that mention using a third partition for
> > this. Since I don't have a lot of extra space (and I'd rather not anyway); I
> > need to figure out a good way to get the permissions right...
> > ? ? ? ?Since OSX user number is 501, and Ubuntu start at 1001; that's a bit
> > of a hiccup.
> >
> > ? ? ? ?One thought I had was to create a group on each os, "crossover" and
> > set the groups to have matching numbers as well. Then in Mac OSX I would
> > give the crossover group rwx permissions on the folder I want access to.
> > ? ? ? ?I'd also have to add a line to fstab to get the OSX partition mounted
> > automatically as well.
> >
> > ? ? ? ?This all make sense, or am I headed down the wrong (or bad?) path?
>
> This sounds like a reasonable approach.
>
>
> --
> Ioannis Vranos
>
> http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
>
> End of ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 90, Issue 41
> ********************************************

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 02-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Colin Law
 
Default ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 90, Issue 41

2012/2/10 ahmed samir <samiros99@hotmail.com>:
> On startup, I have 2 options; Ubuntu and Unity 2d. I always Choose Ubuntu. I
> run the test co/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p and that's what I get:
>
> Xlib: *extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Xlib: *extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Xlib: *extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
> Error: unable to create the OpenGL context
>
> My Graphics card is pretty new. I've been working on a much weaker older
> graphics card for almost 2 years now on my old laptop and I was using compiz
> to the max flawlessly. It's just frutrating to suddenly lack all effects. Is
> it possible that my card doesn't support compiz or am i missing some sort of
> library or package ?

What has this question got to do with the subject line? "ubuntu-users
Digest, Vol 90, Issue 41". You will be more likely to get help if you
start a new thread with a meaningful subject.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:51 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org