Old 02-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Default Ubuntu accessing MacOSX user folder.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Dave Woyciesjes
<woyciesjes@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> * * * *I've got my MacBook Pro dual booting OSX 10.6 and Ubuntu 11.10. Now
> what I want to do is to be able to use the Documents (and others) folder in
> the OSX user folder (/User/Dave/Documents) with Ubuntu as well.
> * * * *Yes, there are many how-tos that mention using a third partition for
> this. Since I don't have a lot of extra space (and I'd rather not anyway); I
> need to figure out a good way to get the permissions right...
> * * * *Since OSX user number is 501, and Ubuntu start at 1001; that's a bit
> of a hiccup.
>
> * * * *One thought I had was to create a group on each os, "crossover" and
> set the groups to have matching numbers as well. Then in Mac OSX I would
> give the crossover group rwx permissions on the folder I want access to.
> * * * *I'd also have to add a line to fstab to get the OSX partition mounted
> automatically as well.
>
> * * * *This all make sense, or am I headed down the wrong (or bad?) path?

This sounds like a reasonable approach.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

On 02/10/2012 10:34 AM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

[...]

Created the crossover group in OSX, and added me as a member. Now to
determine what the group number is. And no, OSX doesn't keep it in
/etc/group. Already looked in that...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Dave Woyciesjes
<woyciesjes@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 02/10/2012 10:34 AM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Dave Woyciesjes
>> <woyciesjes@sbcglobal.net> *wrote:
>>>
>>> * * * *I've got my MacBook Pro dual booting OSX 10.6 and Ubuntu 11.10.
>>> Now
>>> what I want to do is to be able to use the Documents (and others) folder
>>> in
>>> the OSX user folder (/User/Dave/Documents) with Ubuntu as well.
>>> * * * *Yes, there are many how-tos that mention using a third partition
>>> for
>>> this. Since I don't have a lot of extra space (and I'd rather not
>>> anyway); I
>>> need to figure out a good way to get the permissions right...
>>> * * * *Since OSX user number is 501, and Ubuntu start at 1001; that's a
>>> bit
>>> of a hiccup.
>>>
>>> * * * *One thought I had was to create a group on each os, "crossover"
>>> and
>>> set the groups to have matching numbers as well. Then in Mac OSX I would
>>> give the crossover group rwx permissions on the folder I want access to.
>>> * * * *I'd also have to add a line to fstab to get the OSX partition
>>> mounted
>>> automatically as well.
>>>
>>> * * * *This all make sense, or am I headed down the wrong (or bad?) path?
>>

>> This sounds like a reasonable approach.
>>

> * * * *Created the crossover group in OSX, and added me as a member. Now to
> determine what the group number is. And no, OSX doesn't keep it in
> /etc/group. Already looked in that...

I do not know if Mac OS X provides id, but try it in the terminal:

id user_name

Old 02-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Wes James

Here's some info you might want to read, also:

http://superuser.com/questions/84446/how-to-mount-a-hfs-partition-in-ubuntu-as-read-write

-wes

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Dave Woyciesjes

Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

[...]

Sweet! Thanks. This message is getting flagged as a keeper...

Old 02-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

(corrected the previous top-posting)
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Dave Woyciesjes
On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Dave Woyciesjes
I've got my MacBook Pro dual booting OSX 10.6 and Ubuntu 11.10.
Now
what I want to do is to be able to use the Documents (and others) folder
in
the OSX user folder (/User/Dave/Documents) with Ubuntu as well.
Yes, there are many how-tos that mention using a third partition
for
this. Since I don't have a lot of extra space (and I'd rather not
anyway); I
need to figure out a good way to get the permissions right...
Since OSX user number is 501, and Ubuntu start at 1001; that's a
bit
of a hiccup.

One thought I had was to create a group on each os, "crossover"
and
set the groups to have matching numbers as well. Then in Mac OSX I would
give the crossover group rwx permissions on the folder I want access to.
I'd also have to add a line to fstab to get the OSX partition
mounted
automatically as well.

This all make sense, or am I headed down the wrong (or bad?) path?

This sounds like a reasonable approach.

Created the crossover group in OSX, and added me as a member. Now to
determine what the group number is. And no, OSX doesn't keep it in
/etc/group. Already looked in that...

> Here's some info you might want to read, also:

http://superuser.com/questions/84446/how-to-mount-a-hfs-partition-in-ubuntu-as-read-write

> -wes

Thanks much. Added to notes....

Old 02-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

[...]

In my goofing around, I discover that the MacOSX group "staff", which
is the default group that the user's files are a part of; the number for
that maps to the "dialout" group in Ubuntu. So I don't need to create a
matching groups in each OS.
I can use the standard MacOSX methods of giving the "staff" group the
desired permissions.
Added a line to fstab to automount the mac partition, and added the
force option to get RW.

I've seen a few old posts about getting Mac to read ext4, but none of
them give me the warm fuzzies enough to try them. Anyone have any
experience with a particular method?