Old 02-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

Default Ubuntu accessing MacOSX user folder.

I've got my MacBook Pro dual booting OSX 10.6 and Ubuntu 11.10. Now
what I want to do is to be able to use the Documents (and others) folder
in the OSX user folder (/User/Dave/Documents) with Ubuntu as well.
Yes, there are many how-tos that mention using a third partition for
this. Since I don't have a lot of extra space (and I'd rather not
anyway); I need to figure out a good way to get the permissions right...
Since OSX user number is 501, and Ubuntu start at 1001; that's a bit of
a hiccup.

One thought I had was to create a group on each os, "crossover" and set
the groups to have matching numbers as well. Then in Mac OSX I would
give the crossover group rwx permissions on the folder I want access to.
I'd also have to add a line to fstab to get the OSX partition mounted
automatically as well.

This all make sense, or am I headed down the wrong (or bad?) path?

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

- from some guy on the internet.