Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Colin Law

Default Ubuntu 12.04 suddenly feeling more like an Alpha

12.04 Alpha has (for me) been amazingly stable right since Alpha 1
release. Till today.
Has anyone else running 12.04 Alpha found that it has suddenly gone
awry with a round of updates? It starts ok but then the GUI just
seems to grind to a halt. The clock in the top panel stops and
nothing much works. I have to resort dropping back to a terminal and
restarting. Strangely I can't find anything in the logs to indicate
what the problem is to see if there is a relevant bug report. I tried
the previous kernel but no different.
I am not complaining as it is an Alpha after all.
Hopefully it will all start working again with some more updates.

Colin

Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 21:47 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> 12.04 Alpha has (for me) been amazingly stable right since Alpha 1
> release. Till today.
> Has anyone else running 12.04 Alpha found that it has suddenly gone
> awry with a round of updates? It starts ok but then the GUI just
> seems to grind to a halt. The clock in the top panel stops and
> nothing much works. I have to resort dropping back to a terminal and
> restarting. Strangely I can't find anything in the logs to indicate
> what the problem is to see if there is a relevant bug report. I tried
> the previous kernel but no different.
> I am not complaining as it is an Alpha after all.
> Hopefully it will all start working again with some more updates.

Using nVidia hardware/drivers? If so, you're cautioned today not to do
any upgrades. See
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/929384

Precise alpha works very well for me too. I'm hiding out in Mintville
until this gets fixed though.

--
pongo pan
Thu, 09 Feb 2012 13:56:09 -0800

Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Colin Law

On 9 February 2012 21:56, Pongo A. Pan <pongo_pan@fastmail.us> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 21:47 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>> 12.04 Alpha has (for me) been amazingly stable right since Alpha 1
>> release. *Till today.
>> Has anyone else running 12.04 Alpha found that it has suddenly gone
>> awry with a round of updates? *It starts ok but then the GUI just
>> seems to grind to a halt. *The clock in the top panel stops and
>> nothing much works. *I have to resort dropping back to a terminal and
>> restarting. *Strangely I can't find anything in the logs to indicate
>> what the problem is to see if there is a relevant bug report. *I tried
>> the previous kernel but no different.
>> I am not complaining as it is an Alpha after all.
>> Hopefully it will all start working again with some more updates.
>
> Using nVidia hardware/drivers? *If so, you're cautioned today not to do
> any upgrades. *See
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/929384

No, Intel graphics.

Colin

Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Alan Pope

Using nVidia hardware/drivers? If so, you're cautioned today not to do
any upgrades. See
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/929384

Yup, that'd be it.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/929384/comments/25

Has a quick fix.

Cheers,
Al.
--
Alan Pope
Engineering Manager

Canonical - Product Strategy

alan.pope@canonical.com
http://ubuntu.com/

Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 23:47, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 12.04 Alpha has (for me) been amazingly stable right since Alpha 1
> release. *Till today.
> Has anyone else running 12.04 Alpha found that it has suddenly gone
> awry with a round of updates? *It starts ok but then the GUI just
> seems to grind to a halt. *The clock in the top panel stops and
> nothing much works. *I have to resort dropping back to a terminal and
> restarting. *Strangely I can't find anything in the logs to indicate
> what the problem is to see if there is a relevant bug report. *I tried
> the previous kernel but no different.
> I am not complaining as it is an Alpha after all.
> Hopefully it will all start working again with some more updates.
>
> Colin

12.04 _is_ an Alpha. I think that you meant to post on the dev list!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 02-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Ric Moore

12.04 Alpha has (for me) been amazingly stable right since Alpha 1
release. Till today.
Has anyone else running 12.04 Alpha found that it has suddenly gone
awry with a round of updates? It starts ok but then the GUI just
seems to grind to a halt. The clock in the top panel stops and
nothing much works. I have to resort dropping back to a terminal and
restarting. Strangely I can't find anything in the logs to indicate
what the problem is to see if there is a relevant bug report. I tried
the previous kernel but no different.
I am not complaining as it is an Alpha after all.
Hopefully it will all start working again with some more updates.

Colin

I would not overlook the possibility that they did that to spite you,
after telling everyone how warm and nice the 12.04 water was? I mean,
then everyone would want to install it. Ric

Old 02-09-2012, 11:19 PM
"David C. Curtis"

12.04 Alpha has (for me) been amazingly stable right since Alpha 1
release. Till today.
Has anyone else running 12.04 Alpha found that it has suddenly gone
awry with a round of updates? It starts ok but then the GUI just
seems to grind to a halt. The clock in the top panel stops and
nothing much works. I have to resort dropping back to a terminal and
restarting. Strangely I can't find anything in the logs to indicate
what the problem is to see if there is a relevant bug report. I tried
the previous kernel but no different.
I am not complaining as it is an Alpha after all.
Hopefully it will all start working again with some more updates.

Colin

12.04 _is_ an Alpha. I think that you meant to post on the dev list!

As long as I've been on this list (fall of '07) there's been no issue
with discussing alpha. I for one welcome it. The OP could do better in
#ubuntu+1 on Freenode though. As big show stopper bugs/goof-ups usually
get reported within the hour, and is the best interface between devs and
users that I know of.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

Maybe that's why they want rid of us? <chuckles> Ric

Old 02-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Colin Law

On 9 February 2012 22:09, Alan Pope <alan.pope@canonical.com> wrote:
> On 09/02/12 21:56, Pongo A. Pan wrote:
>>
>> Using nVidia hardware/drivers? *If so, you're cautioned today not to do
>> any upgrades. *See
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/929384
>>

> Yup, that'd be it.

Nope, Intel graphics.

Colin

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/929384/comments/25
>
> Has a quick fix.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.
> --
> Alan Pope
> Engineering Manager
>
> Canonical - Product Strategy
>
> alan.pope@canonical.com
> http://ubuntu.com/

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 02-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Colin Law

On 10 February 2012 00:19, David C. Curtis <dave.c.curtis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12-02-09 05:34 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 23:47, Colin Law<clanlaw@googlemail.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> 12.04 Alpha has (for me) been amazingly stable right since Alpha 1
>>> release. *Till today.
>>> Has anyone else running 12.04 Alpha found that it has suddenly gone
>>> awry with a round of updates? *It starts ok but then the GUI just
>>> seems to grind to a halt. *The clock in the top panel stops and
>>> nothing much works. *I have to resort dropping back to a terminal and
>>> restarting. *Strangely I can't find anything in the logs to indicate
>>> what the problem is to see if there is a relevant bug report. *I tried
>>> the previous kernel but no different.
>>> I am not complaining as it is an Alpha after all.
>>> Hopefully it will all start working again with some more updates.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>>

>> 12.04 _is_ an Alpha. I think that you meant to post on the dev list!
>

> As long as I've been on this list (fall of '07) there's been no issue with
> discussing alpha. I for one welcome it. The OP could do better in #ubuntu+1
> on Freenode though. As big show stopper bugs/goof-ups usually get reported
> within the hour, and is the best interface between devs and users that I
> know of.

OK, thanks for that.

Colin

gplus.to/clanlaw