Old 02-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Conny Enstrm

Default Why "alternate"and not "alternative" CD?

2012-02-09 18:14, Ioannis Vranos skrev:

With English not being my native language, I think the proper term for
"alternate CD" is "alternative CD". Why "alternate" is used instead?

You can 'alter' it, ie you don't have to follow the automated install
sections.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:07 PM
"compdoc"

> With English not being my native language, I think the proper term for
> "alternate CD" is "alternative CD". Why "alternate" is used instead?

I think either word is appropriate. It might depend on where in the world
the person lives as to which they use.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 19:14:05 +0200
Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:

> With English not being my native language, I think the proper term for
> "alternate CD" is "alternative CD". Why "alternate" is used instead?

Ah, synonyms, the very life of English!

It is used because it is an alternate usage of, not a word, but a
definition. An alternative to alternative, if you will.

See definition 2 below:

----------
From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) [wn]:

alternate
adj 1: every second one of a series; "the cleaning lady comes on
alternate Wednesdays"; "jam every other day"- the White
Queen
2: serving or used in place of another; "an alternative plan"
[syn: {alternate}, {alternative}, {substitute}]
----------

...except for:

----------
From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48
[gcide]:

Alternative Al*ter"na*tive, n. [Cf. F. alternative, LL.
alternativa.]
1. An offer of two things, one of which may be chosen, but
not both; a choice between two things, so that if one is
taken, the other must be left.
----------

...so, as you can see, you may use either word interchangeably or
confine yourself to, "alternate,' since we needn't leave the one
<thing> when choosing the other.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Strength through Unity.
Unity through faith.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Douglas Pollard

With English not being my native language, I think the proper term for
"alternate CD" is "alternative CD". Why "alternate" is used instead?

I think either word is appropriate. It might depend on where in the world
the person lives as to which they use.

Seems like to me that alternate Cd is correct. It is an alternate cd so
is an alternative to the other. Is one a noun and the other a verb? Doug

Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Ric Moore

With English not being my native language, I think the proper term for
"alternate CD" is "alternative CD". Why "alternate" is used instead?

I think either word is appropriate. It might depend on where in the world
the person lives as to which they use.

Seems like to me that alternate Cd is correct. It is an alternate cd so
is an alternative to the other. Is one a noun and the other a verb? Doug

At least our non-native English speaking community can gain a sense of
relief as we struggle to deal with our own language. Me, I can only cuss
and count to ten in Mandarin. For them to master English as well as
their own tongue is one heckuva accomplishment. My hat is off to you
all. Good on you! Ric

Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 PM
AV3