Old 04-02-2008, 08:07 PM
NoOp

Default Gutsy Upgrade problem

On 04/02/2008 09:55 AM, Rick Knight wrote:

> NoOp,
>
> When I ran gparted and posted the results here, I saw that GRUB and my
> boot partition were not where they should have been (or where I thought
> they were). I decided last night to correct this and see if it would
> solve my Gutsy problem. I moved GRUB and everything in my /boot folder
> on /dev/hda5 to /dev/hda2, deleted the /boot folder on /dev/hda5 and
> then ran update-grub and then grub ...
>
> sudo grub
> grub> setup (hd0)
> find /grub/stage1
>
> (hd0,1)
> grub> boot (hd0,1)
>
> quit

You need to use the root command to tell it where root is:

grub> root (hd0,1)

Or perhaps you mean root instead of boot? Either way, I _think_ it has
to go before the setup command (not sure if if makes a difference).

Also, I'd recommend you put your /etc/initramfs-tools/modules back to
what is was before. From your first post:

/etc/initramfs-tools/modules
and added these lines (from a post at Launchpad)...

# added for support of older, standard hdx drives
piix
ide_generic
ide_cd
ide_disk

# black-list bad driver
ata_piix

# prevent unnecessary modules from loading (optional)
blacklist ata_generic
blacklist libata
blacklist scsi_mod

> I also modified /etc/fstab to reflect the change to the boot partition
> and to make sure only my /boot and / and swap partitions were listed. I
> used sudo blkid /dev/hda2 to get the ID for the new /boot partition and
> made sure all the UUIDs in fstab and menu.lst matched. I also changed
> menu.lst to recognize (hd0,1) as the boot device.
>
> I rebooted, first into my Feisty kernel. It worked fine. I rebooted into
> the Gutsy kernel. Same errors as before. The drives are not being
> created under the 2.6.22-14-generic kernel. Under Feisty the drives are
> created as /dev/hdxn with UUIDs as symbolic links to /dev/hdxn.
>
> I read this on the Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailling list...
>
> "Starting from Gutsy, the old IDE chipset drivers are no longer included
> in the kernel package. The libata based drivers, being cleaner and
> easier to maintain, have taken the places of the old drivers.
>
> However, external CD writers don't work with the new libata based IDE drivers. Please see bug report #109211 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/109211> for details. Considering that external CD/DVD writers are widely used hardware, I suggest keep the old IDE drivers until this bug is fixed, so that users can still use their external CD/DVD writers in Ubuntu after very little manual configuration. They should not conflict with anything if not loaded"
>
> I realize the author is talking about external CD-ROM drives, but could
> this be what I'm running into? Would I be able to fix my issue by
> building a new kernel with support for the older IDE drivers? I have an
> older Soyo motherboard with a Via chipset. Maybe my chipset is not
> compatible with the newer SATA drivers.

I run stuff that is over 8 years old, and the only problem that I've had
with a CD-ROM was an old Mitsumi drive. But that was in Feisty:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/99800

Old 04-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Rick Knight

NoOp wrote:
> On 04/02/2008 09:55 AM, Rick Knight wrote:
>

>> NoOp,
>>
>> When I ran gparted and posted the results here, I saw that GRUB and my
>> boot partition were not where they should have been (or where I thought
>> they were). I decided last night to correct this and see if it would
>> solve my Gutsy problem. I moved GRUB and everything in my /boot folder
>> on /dev/hda5 to /dev/hda2, deleted the /boot folder on /dev/hda5 and
>> then ran update-grub and then grub ...
>>
>> sudo grub
>> grub> setup (hd0)
>> find /grub/stage1
>>
>> (hd0,1)
>> grub> boot (hd0,1)
>>
>> quit
>>

> You need to use the root command to tell it where root is:
>
> grub> root (hd0,1)
>
> Or perhaps you mean root instead of boot? Either way, I _think_ it has
> to go before the setup command (not sure if if makes a difference).
>
> Also, I'd recommend you put your /etc/initramfs-tools/modules back to
> what is was before. From your first post:
>
> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
> and added these lines (from a post at Launchpad)...
>
> # added for support of older, standard hdx drives
> piix
> ide_generic
> ide_cd
> ide_disk
>
> # black-list bad driver
> ata_piix
>
> # prevent unnecessary modules from loading (optional)
> blacklist ata_generic
> blacklist libata
> blacklist scsi_mod

I've cleaned everything up and put it back to the upgrade state.
>> I also modified /etc/fstab to reflect the change to the boot partition
>> and to make sure only my /boot and / and swap partitions were listed. I
>> used sudo blkid /dev/hda2 to get the ID for the new /boot partition and
>> made sure all the UUIDs in fstab and menu.lst matched. I also changed
>> menu.lst to recognize (hd0,1) as the boot device.
>>
>> I rebooted, first into my Feisty kernel. It worked fine. I rebooted into
>> the Gutsy kernel. Same errors as before. The drives are not being
>> created under the 2.6.22-14-generic kernel. Under Feisty the drives are
>> created as /dev/hdxn with UUIDs as symbolic links to /dev/hdxn.
>>
>> I read this on the Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailling list...
>>
>> "Starting from Gutsy, the old IDE chipset drivers are no longer included
>> in the kernel package. The libata based drivers, being cleaner and
>> easier to maintain, have taken the places of the old drivers.
>>
>> However, external CD writers don't work with the new libata based IDE drivers. Please see bug report #109211 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/109211> for details. Considering that external CD/DVD writers are widely used hardware, I suggest keep the old IDE drivers until this bug is fixed, so that users can still use their external CD/DVD writers in Ubuntu after very little manual configuration. They should not conflict with anything if not loaded"
>>
>> I realize the author is talking about external CD-ROM drives, but could
>> this be what I'm running into? Would I be able to fix my issue by
>> building a new kernel with support for the older IDE drivers? I have an
>> older Soyo motherboard with a Via chipset. Maybe my chipset is not
>> compatible with the newer SATA drivers.
>>

> I run stuff that is over 8 years old, and the only problem that I've had
> with a CD-ROM was an old Mitsumi drive. But that was in Feisty:

I too have some very old hardware running new Slackware distros, but
they don't have the same chipsets
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/99800
>

>> (typing this from memory so I may not be totally accurate with the
>> commands I ran last night)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rick

After doing a lot of comparing between my desktop at work, my notebook
and my desktop at home, I'm beginning to think that the problem is the
chipset in my desktop at home is not supported by libata. The
motherboard in the PC is about 4 years old and has a Via VT82C568A/B,
VT82C686A/B, VT823x/A/C chipset. When I boot the Feisty kernel, libata
and ata_generic are being loaded but are not being used...

$ lsmod | grep ata
ata_generic 9902 0
libata 125720 ata_generic
scsi_mod 142348 libata,sg,st,aic7xxx,scsi_transport_spi

This tells me that libata is being using by ata_generic, but ata_generic
isn't being used.

Also, lsmod shows that ide_disk is being used...

$ lsmod | grep ide
ide_cd 32672 0
cdrom 37664 1 ide_cd
ide_disk 17024 5

I think this tells me that this kernel is using IDE_DISK and not
ATA_GENERIC. Neither my desktop PC at work nor my notebook PC load the
IDE_DISK. They both use ATA_PIIX. I've looked for a Via ATA module in
the kernel source, but all I can find is SATA_VIA and this module is
installed but doesn't seem to work (I don't have serial ata drives).

Am I correct in this? If I am correct, how can I fix this problem? Is
there a Via ata driver I'm not seeing?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 04-04-2008, 12:33 AM
NoOp

On 04/03/2008 03:41 PM, Rick Knight wrote:

> After doing a lot of comparing between my desktop at work, my notebook
> and my desktop at home, I'm beginning to think that the problem is the
> chipset in my desktop at home is not supported by libata. The
> motherboard in the PC is about 4 years old and has a Via VT82C568A/B,
> VT82C686A/B, VT823x/A/C chipset. When I boot the Feisty kernel, libata
> and ata_generic are being loaded but are not being used...
>
> $ lsmod | grep ata
> ata_generic 9902 0
> libata 125720 ata_generic
> scsi_mod 142348 libata,sg,st,aic7xxx,scsi_transport_spi
>
> This tells me that libata is being using by ata_generic, but ata_generic
> isn't being used.
>
> Also, lsmod shows that ide_disk is being used...
>
> $ lsmod | grep ide
> ide_cd 32672 0
> cdrom 37664 1 ide_cd
> ide_disk 17024 5

I get:
$ lsmod | grep ide
video 17164 0
$ lsmod | grep ata
ata_generic 7556 0
ata_piix 16644 4
libata 125040 2 ata_generic,ata_piix
scsi_mod 146828 5 sd_mod,sg,sr_mod,initio,libata

> I think this tells me that this kernel is using IDE_DISK and not
> ATA_GENERIC. Neither my desktop PC at work nor my notebook PC load the
> IDE_DISK. They both use ATA_PIIX. I've looked for a Via ATA module in
> the kernel source, but all I can find is SATA_VIA and this module is
> installed but doesn't seem to work (I don't have serial ata drives).
>
> Am I correct in this? If I am correct, how can I fix this problem? Is
> there a Via ata driver I'm not seeing?

It's all out of my league.

When I was having problems upgrading from Feisty to Gutsy on the machine
with the Mitsumi CD-ROM, I troubleshot it by pulling the peripheral
(floppy & CD-ROM) power cables until it booted. Did the same with a
faulty second hard drive & also found a machine with outdated bios that
wouldn't boot when a USB flash cardreader was connected at boot time. I
updated the bios on the last one, and the USB flash cardreader finally
got resolved.

Not the most Ubuntu way to do it, but it helped me eliminate which
device was causing the Busybox errors. If all else fails, give it a try
(pulling one peripheral/drive) at a time.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:32 AM
Rick Knight

NoOp wrote:
> On 04/03/2008 03:41 PM, Rick Knight wrote:
>

>> After doing a lot of comparing between my desktop at work, my notebook
>> and my desktop at home, I'm beginning to think that the problem is the
>> chipset in my desktop at home is not supported by libata. The
>> motherboard in the PC is about 4 years old and has a Via VT82C568A/B,
>> VT82C686A/B, VT823x/A/C chipset. When I boot the Feisty kernel, libata
>> and ata_generic are being loaded but are not being used...
>>
>> $ lsmod | grep ata
>> ata_generic 9902 0
>> libata 125720 ata_generic
>> scsi_mod 142348 libata,sg,st,aic7xxx,scsi_transport_spi
>>
>> This tells me that libata is being using by ata_generic, but ata_generic
>> isn't being used.
>>
>> Also, lsmod shows that ide_disk is being used...
>>
>> $ lsmod | grep ide
>> ide_cd 32672 0
>> cdrom 37664 1 ide_cd
>> ide_disk 17024 5
>>

> I get:
> $ lsmod | grep ide
> video 17164 0
> $ lsmod | grep ata
> ata_generic 7556 0
> ata_piix 16644 4
> libata 125040 2 ata_generic,ata_piix
> scsi_mod 146828 5 sd_mod,sg,sr_mod,initio,libata
>

>> I think this tells me that this kernel is using IDE_DISK and not
>> ATA_GENERIC. Neither my desktop PC at work nor my notebook PC load the
>> IDE_DISK. They both use ATA_PIIX. I've looked for a Via ATA module in
>> the kernel source, but all I can find is SATA_VIA and this module is
>> installed but doesn't seem to work (I don't have serial ata drives).
>>
>> Am I correct in this? If I am correct, how can I fix this problem? Is
>> there a Via ata driver I'm not seeing?
>>

> It's all out of my league.
>
> When I was having problems upgrading from Feisty to Gutsy on the machine
> with the Mitsumi CD-ROM, I troubleshot it by pulling the peripheral
> (floppy & CD-ROM) power cables until it booted. Did the same with a
> faulty second hard drive & also found a machine with outdated bios that
> wouldn't boot when a USB flash cardreader was connected at boot time. I
> updated the bios on the last one, and the USB flash cardreader finally
> got resolved.
>
> Not the most Ubuntu way to do it, but it helped me eliminate which
> device was causing the Busybox errors. If all else fails, give it a try
> (pulling one peripheral/drive) at a time.

NoOp,

I downloaded the Kubuntu 8.04 Desktop CD ISO, burned the ISO and booted.
It DOES install my hard drives as /dev/hd devices, not /dev/sd and I can
access them without any problem, so whatever is causing my problem with
Gutsy, has been fixed in Hardy. Also, I think this tells me my Via
controller is not compatible with libata.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 04-05-2008, 10:26 PM
NoOp

On 04/04/2008 10:32 PM, Rick Knight wrote:

> NoOp,
>
> I downloaded the Kubuntu 8.04 Desktop CD ISO, burned the ISO and booted.
> It DOES install my hard drives as /dev/hd devices, not /dev/sd and I can
> access them without any problem, so whatever is causing my problem with
> Gutsy, has been fixed in Hardy. Also, I think this tells me my Via
> controller is not compatible with libata.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Interesting. Then again, it's a fresh install so it also wouldn't have
any issue with whatever may have been modified in your Feisty system. I
wonder if a fresh Gutsy install would have done the same.

Is the the bug that you used to change your
piix
ide_generic
ide_cd
ide_disk
etc?

You might have a scan through:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=busybox&search=Search+Bug+R eports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target=>
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=initramfs&search=Search+Bug +Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target=>

to see if you can spot something in there that relates.

I also see that your bug is getting a response:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/212042>
So that's some progress :-)

BTW: you can scan the entire bug system by going first to:
https://launchpad.net/
click on Bugs
https://bugs.launchpad.net/
and enter a keyword

Also this might be of some interest to you:
http://www.tkarena.com/forums/

Anyway, I'm _very_ glad you got it working again! :-)

Old 04-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Rick Knight

NoOp wrote:
> On 04/04/2008 10:32 PM, Rick Knight wrote:
>

>> NoOp,
>>
>> I downloaded the Kubuntu 8.04 Desktop CD ISO, burned the ISO and booted.
>> It DOES install my hard drives as /dev/hd devices, not /dev/sd and I can
>> access them without any problem, so whatever is causing my problem with
>> Gutsy, has been fixed in Hardy. Also, I think this tells me my Via
>> controller is not compatible with libata.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rick
>>

> Interesting. Then again, it's a fresh install so it also wouldn't have
> any issue with whatever may have been modified in your Feisty system. I
> wonder if a fresh Gutsy install would have done the same.
>
> Is the the bug that you used to change your
> piix
> ide_generic
> ide_cd
> ide_disk
> etc?
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/153991

Yes, that's the one. I have since undone those changes and have an empty
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules.
> You might have a scan through:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=busybox&search=Search+Bug+R eports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target=>
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.searchtext=initramfs&search=Search+Bug +Reports&field.scope=all&field.scope.target=>
>
> to see if you can spot something in there that relates.
>
> I also see that your bug is getting a response:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/212042>
> So that's some progress :-)

Yes, I posted a message at ubuntu-devel-discuss and got some additional
help there.
> BTW: you can scan the entire bug system by going first to:
> https://launchpad.net/
> click on Bugs
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/
> and enter a keyword
>
> Also this might be of some interest to you:
> http://www.tkarena.com/forums/
>
> Anyway, I'm _very_ glad you got it working again! :-)

I've determined what the problem is , or seems to be. The real fix will
have to come from the Gutsy developers fixing the regression in the Via
drivers (IDE or PATA) or from me installing Hardy, which I haven't done
yet, just booted the Live CD. I did install the Hardy kernel
(linux-image-2.6.24-15-386_2.6.24-15.27_i386.deb) and it works fine with
my Via chipset. The drives are recognized as SCSI devices, the pata_via
and libata modules are loaded and working, none of the IDE modules are
loaded. The Hardy kernel isn't compatible with the Gutsy version of Cups
or VBox though so I'll stay with the Feisty kernel until the official
release of Hardy.

Thanks for your help,
Rick

Old 04-10-2008, 01:17 AM
NoOp

On 04/09/2008 02:24 PM, Rick Knight wrote:

> I've determined what the problem is , or seems to be. The real fix will
> have to come from the Gutsy developers fixing the regression in the Via
> drivers (IDE or PATA) or from me installing Hardy, which I haven't done
> yet, just booted the Live CD. I did install the Hardy kernel
> (linux-image-2.6.24-15-386_2.6.24-15.27_i386.deb) and it works fine with
> my Via chipset. The drives are recognized as SCSI devices, the pata_via
> and libata modules are loaded and working, none of the IDE modules are
> loaded. The Hardy kernel isn't compatible with the Gutsy version of Cups
> or VBox though so I'll stay with the Feisty kernel until the official
> release of Hardy.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Rick

Interesting. Thanks for the update.

You might want to start prepping for the Hardy upgrade - it's only 15
days away, so I reckon that it'll be sound in about a month. I'd start
making backups & then copy/move your home directories over to an
alternate partition, or drive. That way you can do a fresh Hardy install
and won't lose your home data. Note: you'll need to do a fresh install
anyway as you can't upgrade from Fiesty to Hardy.