Old 02-07-2012, 09:44 PM
ahmed samir

Default cannot connect to internet on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Dear All,*
I have been using Ubuntu 10.04 for more than one year now with absolutely no problems but I recently bought the new dell xps 14z and installed Ubuntu 10.04 to it.*The problem is I can't connect to the internet in any way (wireless or wired connection). This means that no wireless networks are detected (I can't even switch wireless on and off *by right clicking on the network icon on the top right). I also can't connect by plugging in a cable because the cable is not detected when plugged in. I thought this was because this new network card is not automatically installed on this version of *Ubuntu (like I probably had with my old laptop). I tried installing the driver from the dell website but they only offer windows support (only found ".exe" driver files there).*Is there a way to install the driver on Ubuntu or do I have to install the latest Ubuntu release and hope this solves the problem ? *Internet is functioning perfectly on windows 7 on the same machine.
I will REALLY appreciate anyone's help Thank you for your time.
Best regards,Samir

Old 02-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Conny Enstrm

[...]

What is 'lspci' say from commandline?
Look for "Ethernet controller:"

If the computer model is the latest, there is no driver for the hardware
in 10.04.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Liam Proven

2012/2/7 ahmed samir <samiros99@hotmail.com>:
> Dear All,
>
> I have been using Ubuntu 10.04 for more than one year now with absolutely no
> problems but I recently bought the new dell xps 14z and installed Ubuntu
> 10.04 to it.
> The problem is I can't connect to the internet in any way (wireless or wired
> connection). This means that no wireless networks are detected (I can't even
> switch wireless on and off *by right clicking on the network icon on the top
> right). I also can't connect by plugging in a cable because the cable is not
> detected when plugged in. I thought this was because this new network card
> is not automatically installed on this version of *Ubuntu (like I probably
> had with my old laptop). I tried installing the driver from the dell website
> but they only offer windows support (only found ".exe" driver files there).
> Is there a way to install the driver on Ubuntu or do I have to install the
> latest Ubuntu release and hope this solves the problem ? *Internet is
> functioning perfectly on windows 7 on the same machine.
>
> I will REALLY appreciate anyone's help Thank you for your time.

It doesn't work if you plug an Ethernet cable in, either?

If not, try a USB network adapter, or even a PCMCIA or Cardbus one. If
you can get online via any of those, then you can update the machine &
very probably the onboard network ports will start working.

If the default update does not work, then try installing one of the
newer backported kernels - there are Maverick (2.6.35-x), Natty
(2.6.38-x) & Oneiric (3.0.0-x) kernels in the repos. One of them will
surely get it working.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 02-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Ioannis Vranos

2012/2/8 ahmed samir <samiros99@hotmail.com>:
> Dear All,
>
> I have been using Ubuntu 10.04 for more than one year now with absolutely no
> problems but I recently bought the new dell xps 14z and installed Ubuntu
> 10.04 to it.
> The problem is I can't connect to the internet in any way (wireless or wired
> connection). This means that no wireless networks are detected (I can't even
> switch wireless on and off *by right clicking on the network icon on the top
> right). I also can't connect by plugging in a cable because the cable is not
> detected when plugged in. I thought this was because this new network card
> is not automatically installed on this version of *Ubuntu (like I probably
> had with my old laptop). I tried installing the driver from the dell website
> but they only offer windows support (only found ".exe" driver files there).
> Is there a way to install the driver on Ubuntu or do I have to install the
> latest Ubuntu release and hope this solves the problem ? *Internet is
> functioning perfectly on windows 7 on the same machine.

I think you probably need a newer kernel. The easiest way to get this,
is with a newer version of Ubuntu.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 04:19:08PM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> 2012/2/8 ahmed samir <samiros99@hotmail.com>:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I have been using Ubuntu 10.04 for more than one year now with absolutely no
> > problems but I recently bought the new dell xps 14z and installed Ubuntu
> > 10.04 to it.
> > The problem is I can't connect to the internet in any way (wireless or wired
> > connection). This means that no wireless networks are detected (I can't even
> > switch wireless on and off *by right clicking on the network icon on the top
> > right). I also can't connect by plugging in a cable because the cable is not
> > detected when plugged in. I thought this was because this new network card
> > is not automatically installed on this version of *Ubuntu (like I probably
> > had with my old laptop). I tried installing the driver from the dell website
> > but they only offer windows support (only found ".exe" driver files there).
> > Is there a way to install the driver on Ubuntu or do I have to install the
> > latest Ubuntu release and hope this solves the problem ? *Internet is
> > functioning perfectly on windows 7 on the same machine.
>
> I think you probably need a newer kernel. The easiest way to get this,
> is with a newer version of Ubuntu.

If he needs a newer kernel, how do you account for the many users of
10.04, me included, who are happily cavorting on the internet? Better to
check if his card is supported.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,

Old 02-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Liam Proven

On 8 February 2012 18:27, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 04:19:08PM +0200, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>> 2012/2/8 ahmed samir <samiros99@hotmail.com>:
>> > Dear All,
>> >
>> > I have been using Ubuntu 10.04 for more than one year now with absolutely no
>> > problems but I recently bought the new dell xps 14z and installed Ubuntu
>> > 10.04 to it.
>> > The problem is I can't connect to the internet in any way (wireless or wired
>> > connection). This means that no wireless networks are detected (I can't even
>> > switch wireless on and off *by right clicking on the network icon on the top
>> > right). I also can't connect by plugging in a cable because the cable is not
>> > detected when plugged in. I thought this was because this new network card
>> > is not automatically installed on this version of *Ubuntu (like I probably
>> > had with my old laptop). I tried installing the driver from the dell website
>> > but they only offer windows support (only found ".exe" driver files there).
>> > Is there a way to install the driver on Ubuntu or do I have to install the
>> > latest Ubuntu release and hope this solves the problem ? *Internet is
>> > functioning perfectly on windows 7 on the same machine.
>>
>> I think you probably need a newer kernel. The easiest way to get this,
>> is with a newer version of Ubuntu.
>
> If he needs a newer kernel, how do you account for the many users of
> 10.04, me included, who are happily cavorting on the internet? Better to
> check if his card is supported.

Now now, steady on.

Wireless cards especially - but sometimes wired Ethernet too - are an
especial problem for Linux, especially in notebooks. Many notebooks
have a tiny "mezzanine PCI" card with both wired & wireless on. Lots
are essentially Windows-only & drivers are a real pain.

It is /very/ common in my experience for an initial install not to be
able to drive a WLAN controller, but after an update for it to
"miraculously" start working. This especially applies if you can get
online via some other means, e.g. a wired or external connection, &
both run the update and run the Jockey proprietary-drivers-installer
tool.

Secondly, what many people don't realise is that 10.04 LTS has
backported versions of the kernels from the next 3 versions available
in the repositories.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 02-09-2012, 04:03 AM
anon hung

>> I have been using Ubuntu 10.04 for more than one year now with absolutely
>> no
>> problems but I recently bought the new dell xps 14z and installed Ubuntu
>> 10.04 to it.
>> The problem is I can't connect to the internet in any way (wireless or
>> wired
>> connection). This means that no wireless networks are detected (I can't
>> even
>> switch wireless on and off by right clicking on the network icon on the
>> top
>> right). I also can't connect by plugging in a cable because the cable is
>> not
>> detected when plugged in. I thought this was because this new network card
>> is not automatically installed on this version of Ubuntu (like I probably
>> had with my old laptop). I tried installing the driver from the dell
>> website
>> but they only offer windows support (only found ".exe" driver files
>> there).
>> Is there a way to install the driver on Ubuntu or do I have to install the
>> latest Ubuntu release and hope this solves the problem ? Internet is
>> functioning perfectly on windows 7 on the same machine.
>
> I think you probably need a newer kernel. The easiest way to get this,
> is with a newer version of Ubuntu.

And just what makes you say that? What does this have to do with
kernel versions?

Best,
anonhung

--
Viktor Orban Prime minister of Hungary
http://spreadingviktororban.weebly.com

Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 AM
"compdoc"

> And just what makes you say that? What does this have to do with kernel
versions?

Sorry, I haven't been following this thread, but they might be referring to
newer versions of Ubuntu because I believe it has improved support for
certain nics/chipsets.

Does your new laptop have the Atheros AR8151 PCI-e wired, and the Intel
Advanced-N 6230 wifi? Those should be easy to look up drivers for.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 7:03 AM, anon hung <anonhung@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have been using Ubuntu 10.04 for more than one year now with absolutely
>>> no
>>> problems but I recently bought the new dell xps 14z and installed Ubuntu
>>> 10.04 to it.
>>> The problem is I can't connect to the internet in any way (wireless or
>>> wired
>>> connection). This means that no wireless networks are detected (I can't
>>> even
>>> switch wireless on and off *by right clicking on the network icon on the
>>> top
>>> right). I also can't connect by plugging in a cable because the cable is
>>> not
>>> detected when plugged in. I thought this was because this new network card
>>> is not automatically installed on this version of *Ubuntu (like I probably
>>> had with my old laptop). I tried installing the driver from the dell
>>> website
>>> but they only offer windows support (only found ".exe" driver files
>>> there).
>>> Is there a way to install the driver on Ubuntu or do I have to install the
>>> latest Ubuntu release and hope this solves the problem ? *Internet is
>>> functioning perfectly on windows 7 on the same machine.
>>
>> I think you probably need a newer kernel. The easiest way to get this,
>> is with a newer version of Ubuntu.
>
> And just what makes you say that? What does this have to do with
> kernel versions?

It has to do with kernel versions, because most Linux drivers come
with the kernel.

Someone else mentioned that 10.04 has the 3 last kernel versions backported.

This means there is probably no need to get the latest Ubuntu, just
use the last backported kernel version in 10.04.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 06:50:45PM +0000, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 8 February 2012 18:27, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote: