Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Kenneth Loafman

Default Thunderbird / Enigmail not asking for a password

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 15:07:14 +0000, Kenneth Loafman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Somewhere in the last set of the daily dozen updates on Hardy,
> Thunderbird and/or Enigmail have stopped asking for my passphrase and
> refuse to sign or encrypt email. This has slowed down my communications
> greatly. If I try to send email that needs to be signed, Thunderbird
> just sits there for a long time and then asks if my network setting are
> correct (not the right error message at all). I have to tell it to turn
> off the rules and send it unsigned. Ditto with encryption. At no time
> does it ask for the passphrase like it should, and like it did.
>
> I have reported a bug, but I'm wondering if anyone has a workaround that
> they would share.

Anyone have an idea where to begin looking?

What's the name of the passphrase cache that Enigmail uses?

...Ken

Old 04-05-2008, 12:45 PM
Kenneth Loafman

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 18:20:47 +0000, Kenneth Loafman wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 15:07:14 +0000, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Somewhere in the last set of the daily dozen updates on Hardy,
>> Thunderbird and/or Enigmail have stopped asking for my passphrase and
>> refuse to sign or encrypt email. This has slowed down my
>> communications greatly. If I try to send email that needs to be
>> signed, Thunderbird just sits there for a long time and then asks if my
>> network setting are correct (not the right error message at all). I
>> have to tell it to turn off the rules and send it unsigned. Ditto with
>> encryption. At no time does it ask for the passphrase like it should,
>> and like it did.
>>
>> I have reported a bug, but I'm wondering if anyone has a workaround
>> that they would share.
>
> Anyone have an idea where to begin looking?
>
> What's the name of the passphrase cache that Enigmail uses?

Just FYI in case someone else falls into the problem, its not in
Thunderbird or Enigmail, its was due to a bug in Seahorse:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/183514

I fixed my problem by looking at the default setup of another system and
noting that it did not have:

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90gpg-agent

I renamed that file, restarted X, and all is well. Seahorse is running
by itself rather than under gpg-agent:

/usr/bin/seahorse-agent --execute x-session-manager

I'm not sure where the file came from or why it was there. If someone
knows, please leave a message.

...Ken