Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Abhishek Dixit

Default switching between different input methods in ibus preferences Hindi typing

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I use Ubuntu 11.10 and Gnome environment. I am able to type documents
> in Hindi by a method shown here
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL7icGNhIfI
> I installed ibus-m17n and ibus packages and have enabled support for
> Hindi language in gnome-language-selector.I have following input
> methods enabled in ibus preference window
>

> *Hindi inscript (m17n)
> * Hindi phonetic (m17n)
> * Hindi itrans (m17n)
> * Hindi remington (m17n)
> * Hindi typewriter (m17n)
>
> *a snapshot for the same can be seen here
> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5705518106929667058
>
> Also you can see in this snapshot that these methods do come in drop
> down menu of ibus
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704771437325752466
>
> *I open libreoffice and press Ctrl+Space so that I can type in Hindi.
> I am able to type in Hindi.
>

> When the input method is off as in this snapshot
> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5705519585633896530
>
> then I am able to type in Hindi with following kind of keyboard
> /usr/share/m17n/hi-typewriter.mim
> i.e. by pressing key *"h" letter प *gets typed. Which is expected behavior.
>

> Now comes the problem upon selecting the method phonetic as in this snapshot
> https://picasaweb.google.com/107404068162388981296/UnknownAsianLanguage#5704771437325752466
>
> pressing key *"h" letter again प gets typed. Which is not expected.As
> per my understanding the keymap for phonetic input method in this case
> is
>
> /usr/share/m17n/hi-phonetic.mim and given that input method phonetic
> is already selected
> upon pressing key "h" letter "य" should get typed.
>
> That means that selection of different input methods has no effect on
> typing. So is ibus not working properly or I missed some thing?
> How can I get expected behavior when selecing different input methods
> in ibus preference window?

I have discussed this problem with some relevant developers and
package maintainers of m17 and ibus databases.
This probably is a bug (though I am waiting for a confirmation from
them). When I tried to report this issue on launchpad I was redirected
to ibus google code page hence reported the issue here
http://code.google.com/p/ibus/issues/detail?can=2&q=1409&colspec=ID%20Component%20Type% 20Status%20Priority%20Stars%20Milestone%20Owner%20 Summary&id=1409