Old 02-06-2012, 05:57 AM
Md Ashickur Rahman Noor

Default Is there any non free thing in Ubuntu Kernel

Hi

I was reading this wiki . One thing kept my eyes that Ubuntu use non free module in is kernel. Is it true?

Over one hundred pieces of non-free firmware were removed from the Ubuntu Linux kernel to make gNewSense.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNewSense#Limitations----------------------------------------------------------
Dedicated Linux Forum in Bangladesh

2048R/89C932E1
Volunteer, FOSS Bangladesh && Mozilla Reps

01611151550

Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Yorvyk

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 12:57:38 +0600
Md Ashickur Rahman Noor <ashickur.noor@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was reading this wiki <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNewSense> . One
> thing kept my eyes that Ubuntu use non free module in is kernel. Is it true?

Yes. Mainly drivers for the likes of WiFi devices, etc.

> Over one hundred pieces of non-free
> firmware<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware>were removed from the
> Ubuntu Linux
> kernel <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel> to make gNewSense.
>
> Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNewSense#Limitations

Having never come across a modern general purpose computer that can be run with 100% free software the whole thing is a mute point anyway.

--
Yorvyk

Old 02-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Alan Pope

On 06/02/12 06:57, Md Ashickur Rahman Noor wrote:

I was reading this wiki <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNewSense> . One
thing kept my eyes that Ubuntu use non free module in is kernel. Is it true?

Yup. That GNewSense is pretty accurate. It's mostly firmware blobs for
wireless cards.

Ubuntu does ship with a "Free Software Only" install option which
replaced (to some degree) our discontinued Gobuntu derivative. So if you
want to install Ubuntu and have a more 'Free' desktop then use that option.

It's been there for nearly 4 years.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/gobuntu-devel/2008-April/000651.html

Cheers,
Al.
--
Alan Pope
Engineering Manager

Canonical - Product Strategy
alan.pope@canonical.com
http://ubuntu.com/

Old 02-06-2012, 01:42 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 10:12:00 +0000
Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:

[...]

> Having never come across a modern general purpose computer that can
> be run with 100% free software the whole thing is a mute point anyway.

Not so!

Run the package, "vrms," on your box and see how close you are to
completely free and what to dump to be completely free.

Mine, for instance, has flashplugin-nonfree and the nVidia driver, both
of which it (and I) could do without.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Strength through Unity.
Unity through faith.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Tim Edwards

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012, at 08:42 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 10:12:00 +0000
> Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>

> > Having never come across a modern general purpose computer that can
> > be run with 100% free software the whole thing is a mute point anyway.
> >
> Not so!
>
> Run the package, "vrms," on your box and see how close you are to
> completely free and what to dump to be completely free.
>
> Mine, for instance, has flashplugin-nonfree and the nVidia driver, both
> of which it (and I) could do without.

Great package name "virtual Richard M. Stallman" but I don't think it's
that accurate. For example it didn't pick-up packages I've installed
from the partner repo - skype and adobe-flashplugin.

Either way I couldn't do without these packages and although I could do
without the others (MS TTF fonts, Virtualbox guest additions, rar/unrar,
AAC audio encoding) I'd really rather not. Not to mention that not
having the wifi firmware on my other computer (a laptop) would be an
instant deal-breaker.

Tim

Old 02-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Tim Edwards <liststuff@fastmail.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012, at 08:42 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 10:12:00 +0000
>> Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>

>> > Having never come across a modern general purpose computer that can
>> > be run with 100% free software the whole thing is a mute point anyway.
>> >
>> Not so!
>>
>> Run the package, "vrms," on your box and see how close you are to
>> completely free and what to dump to be completely free.
>>
>> Mine, for instance, has flashplugin-nonfree and the nVidia driver, both
>> of which it (and I) could do without.
>
> Great package name "virtual Richard M. Stallman" but I don't think it's
> that accurate. For example it didn't pick-up packages I've installed
> from the partner repo - skype and adobe-flashplugin.
>
> Either way I couldn't do without these packages and although I could do
> without the others (MS TTF fonts, Virtualbox guest additions, rar/unrar,
> AAC audio encoding) I'd really rather not. Not to mention that not
> having the wifi firmware on my other computer (a laptop) would be an
> instant deal-breaker.

I think we will get only free software eventually.

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com/documents/why_there_isn%27t%20going_to_be_the_year_of_linux. html

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Old 02-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Md Ashickur Rahman Noor

Thanks for every bodies reply. I just want to know that is Ubuntu ship with non free? The answer is yes.

We can not go with out non-free software, we have to understand that. Gobuntu is a backdated distro which is not maintain now. So there is no option to use it.

So I think I we can have Ubuntu fork which has no non-free in shipment. But it is not possible. ----------------------------------------------------------

Old 02-06-2012, 03:24 PM
subhajit bandyopadhyay

I'm optimist. I think one day we'll get Ubuntu without any non free software.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Md Ashickur Rahman Noor <ashickur.noor@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for every bodies reply. I just want to know that is Ubuntu ship with non free? The answer is yes.

We can not go with out non-free software, we have to understand that. Gobuntu is a backdated distro which is not maintain now. So there is no option to use it.

So I think I we can have Ubuntu fork which has no non-free in shipment. But it is not possible. ----------------------------------------------------------
Dedicated Linux Forum in Bangladesh

2048R/89C932E1
Volunteer, FOSS Bangladesh && Mozilla Reps

01611151550

On 6 February 2012 21:42, Ioannis Vranos <ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Tim Edwards <liststuff@fastmail.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012, at 08:42 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>> On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 10:12:00 +0000

>> Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> [...]

>> > Having never come across a modern general purpose computer that can

>> > be run with 100% free software the whole thing is a mute point anyway.

>> Not so!

>> Run the package, "vrms," on your box and see how close you are to

>> completely free and what to dump to be completely free.

>> Mine, for instance, has flashplugin-nonfree and the nVidia driver, both

>> of which it (and I) could do without.

> Great package name "virtual Richard M. Stallman" but I don't think it's

> that accurate. For example it didn't pick-up packages I've installed

> from the partner repo - skype and adobe-flashplugin.

> Either way I couldn't do without these packages and although I could do

> without the others (MS TTF fonts, Virtualbox guest additions, rar/unrar,

> AAC audio encoding) I'd really rather not. Not to mention that not

> having the wifi firmware on my other computer (a laptop) would be an

> instant deal-breaker.

I think we will get only free software eventually.

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com/documents/why_there_isn%27t%20going_to_be_the_year_of_linux. html

--

Ioannis Vranos

http://cppsoftware.binhoster.com

Techie Guy |*Linux Enthusiast | twitter |*launchpad

Old 02-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Steve Flynn

On 6 February 2012 16:24, subhajit bandyopadhyay
<subhajit.cool108@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm optimist. I think one day we'll get Ubuntu without any non free
> software.

Perhaps the same day that people start trimming unnecessary text from
posts and refraining from top posting. I suspect the totally free
distribution will happen first.

--
Steve

Old 02-06-2012, 03:45 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 21:54:29 +0530
subhajit bandyopadhyay <subhajit.cool108@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm optimist. I think one day we'll get Ubuntu without any non free
> software.

I believe what you want is called, "Debian."

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Strength through Unity.
Unity through faith.