Old 02-03-2012, 06:30 PM
James Mutuku

Default 3 com network card duplex mismatch on ubuntu server 8.04

Hi,

I am getting the error below. the server has been running for 3 years
but the error started showing up recently.

10:24:34 ETH01: Transmit error, Tx status register 82.
10:24:34 Probably a duplex mismatch. See Documentation/networking/vortex.txt
10:24:34 Flags; bus-master 1, dirty 622631(7) current 622631(7)
10:24:34 Transmit list 00000000 vs. f571b660.
10:24:34 0: @f571b200 length 80000036 status 00010036
10:24:34 1: @f571b2a0 length 80000036 status 00010036
10:24:34 2: @f571b340 length 80000036 status 00010036
10:24:34 3: @f571b3e0 length 80000036 status 00010036
10:24:34 4: @f571b480 length 80000192 status 00010192
10:24:34 5: @f571b520 length 8000003e status 0001003e
10:24:34 6: @f571b5c0 length 800005ea status 800105ea
10:24:34 7: @f571b660 length 80000042 status 00010042
10:24:34 8: @f571b700 length 80000042 status 00010042
10:24:34 9: @f571b7a0 length 80000042 status 00010042
10:24:34 10: @f571b840 length 80000042 status 00010042
10:24:34 11: @f571b8e0 length 80000042 status 00010042
10:24:34 12: @f571b980 length 80000042 status 00010042
10:24:34 13: @f571ba20 length 80000042 status 00010042
10:24:34 14: @f571bac0 length 8000003a status 0001003a
10:24:34 15: @f571bb60 length 80000042 status 00010042

--
Best Regards,
James Mutuku Ndeti

Has your organization implemented a customer relationship management
(CRM)system? visit http://www.agile.co.ke/crm.php and find out how our
CRM can help you achieve better customer satisfaction and sales

Old 02-03-2012, 11:44 PM

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 14:30, James Mutuku <listmutuku@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am getting the error below. the server has been running for 3 years
> but the error started showing up recently.
>
> 10:24:34 ETH01: Transmit error, Tx status register 82.
> 10:24:34 Probably a duplex mismatch. See Documentation/networking/vortex.txt
> 10:24:34 Flags; bus-master 1, dirty 622631(7) current 622631(7)
> 10:24:34 Transmit list 00000000 vs. f571b660.
> 10:24:34 0: @f571b200 length 80000036 status 00010036
> 10:24:34 1: @f571b2a0 length 80000036 status 00010036
> 10:24:34 2: @f571b340 length 80000036 status 00010036
> 10:24:34 3: @f571b3e0 length 80000036 status 00010036
> 10:24:34 4: @f571b480 length 80000192 status 00010192
> 10:24:34 5: @f571b520 length 8000003e status 0001003e
> 10:24:34 6: @f571b5c0 length 800005ea status 800105ea
> 10:24:34 7: @f571b660 length 80000042 status 00010042
> 10:24:34 8: @f571b700 length 80000042 status 00010042
> 10:24:34 9: @f571b7a0 length 80000042 status 00010042
> 10:24:34 10: @f571b840 length 80000042 status 00010042
> 10:24:34 11: @f571b8e0 length 80000042 status 00010042
> 10:24:34 12: @f571b980 length 80000042 status 00010042
> 10:24:34 13: @f571ba20 length 80000042 status 00010042
> 10:24:34 14: @f571bac0 length 8000003a status 0001003a
> 10:24:34 15: @f571bb60 length 80000042 status 00010042

have you tried different cables, different patch panel and switch ports?

You say it's been running fine for 3 years then all of a sudden
this... what's changed?

My first inclination is hardware failure... but have you recently
updated the kernel? Do older kernels still show this?

Old 02-04-2012, 03:53 PM
James Mutuku

Thanks Jeff,

No updates on the server and no changes. will try a different cable and see.

Thanks

Old 02-04-2012, 03:59 PM

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 11:53, James Mutuku <listmutuku@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jeff,
>
> No updates on the server and no changes. will try a different cable and see.
>
> Thanks

You also mentioned in your OP that it's a 3Com NIC... if it's an older
card, it's also not inconceivable that the NIC itself is going bad.
I've seen that before with well-used NICs, as well as ports going
flaky on switches after years of problem-free use.

Not saying it's NOT an OS issue, just that from what you've said so
far, sounds more like hardware issues.