Old 02-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Alain Muls

Default Ubuntu Precise Alpha 2 interferes with Ubuntu Natty

Hi All,

I have two root partitions which I use sequentially to install two
versions of Ubuntu. The current one and during the beginning of a new
release the previous ubuntu is on the other partition.
My home is on a separate partition used with both root systems.

Today I choose to wipe the Natty (11.04) root system (I am comfortable
with Oneiric 11.10) and tried to install Precise Alpha 2 onto its
partition.

The install did not finish, it got stuck with a message similar to
"clearing system files from previous install". I aborted after half an
hour and then I rebooted Oneiric.

Now if I enter the dash Application (Super-A), I no longer have the
application 'tab', only the home, folders&files, google docs (where
does this one comes from??) and music. This quite annoying since I can
now only luanch apps using the launcher or from a terminal.

I did a dpkg-reconfigure -a and and fulle apt-get update & upgrade
cycle, in vain.

Any help appreciated.

Tx/Alain