Old 02-03-2012, 03:47 PM
"G. "

Default mic stopped working

My built in mic on my Samsung notebook is no longer working in Ubuntu
11.10. Under sound settings it is not listed as if there were no
hardware.

I tried https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS which did not help.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

garyk

Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 PM
"G. "

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> My built in mic on my Samsung notebook is no longer working in Ubuntu
> 11.10. *Under sound settings it is not listed as if there were no
> hardware.
>
> I tried https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS which did not help.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> garyk

The mic is working under my copy of 12.04.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Fernando Valencia

El 03/02/12 13:56, G. escribió:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> My built in mic on my Samsung notebook is no longer working in Ubuntu
>> 11.10. Under sound settings it is not listed as if there were no
>> hardware.
>>
>> I tried https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS which did not help.
>>
>> Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> garyk
> The mic is working under my copy of 12.04.

Hi Garyk, i have a samsung R580 with build in microphone too, and it
doesn't appear in gnome sound settings but it works with qarecord ( i
didn't tried with others softwares like skype or teamspeak, but maybe it
will work to you).

You can try to set the capture level with alsa-mixer in terminal (you
need to press F4 key to able the capture volume panel).

Old 02-03-2012, 07:14 PM
"G. "

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Fernando Valencia <fvalenciaf@gmail.com> wrote:
> El 03/02/12 13:56, G. escribió:
>> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 5:47 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My built in mic on my Samsung notebook is no longer working in Ubuntu
>>> 11.10. *Under sound settings it is not listed as if there were no
>>> hardware.
>>>
>>> I tried https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS which did not help.
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> garyk
>> The mic is working under my copy of 12.04.
>>
> Hi Garyk, i have a samsung R580 with build in microphone too, and it
> doesn't appear in gnome sound settings but it works with qarecord ( i
> didn't tried with others softwares like skype or teamspeak, but maybe it
> will work to you).
>
> You can try to set the capture level with alsa-mixer in terminal (you
> need to press F4 key to able the capture volume panel).

Thanks! What's code for alsa-mixer?

gary

Old 02-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Ric Moore

On 02/03/2012 11:47 AM, G. wrote:

My built in mic on my Samsung notebook is no longer working in Ubuntu
11.10. Under sound settings it is not listed as if there were no
hardware.

I tried https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS which did not help.

Any other suggestions?

First, open alsamixer in a terminal and check your settings. EVERYTHING
related to sound depends ultimately on alsa. Then install pavucontrol,
which ought to be installed at install time, but for some reason isn't.
Use that to set up your sound sources/outputs. Configuring surround
setups is a breeze. You should have sound input for your mike. Ric

Old 02-03-2012, 07:39 PM
Ric Moore

El 03/02/12 13:56, G. escribió:

[...]

type alsamixer in a terminal window as your user. No need to sudo. Ric

Old 02-04-2012, 07:38 AM
"G. "

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/03/2012 11:47 AM, G. wrote:
>>
>> My built in mic on my Samsung notebook is no longer working in Ubuntu
>> 11.10. *Under sound settings it is not listed as if there were no
>> hardware.
>>
>> I tried https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/UpgradingAlsa/DKMS which did not
>> help.
>>
>> Any other suggestions?
>

> First, open alsamixer in a terminal and check your settings. EVERYTHING
> related to sound depends ultimately on alsa. Then install pavucontrol, which
> ought to be installed at install time, but for some reason isn't. Use that
> to set up your sound sources/outputs. Configuring surround setups is a
> breeze. You should have sound input for your mike. Ric
>

> --

I opened alsamixer. Capture had underlines so I went to that, hit
space bar and then hit the up arrow. I checked for mic functionality,
still will not record with sound recorder and still no listing of
device under sound settings.

Looking to install pavcontrol, the only listing under software center
is Pulse Vol Control and Pulse Vol Meter (playback). Same using
synaptic.

Not sure what else to do.

Mic was working fine until very recently.

garyk

Old 02-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Ric Moore

On 02/03/2012 11:47 AM, G. wrote:

[...]

I just opened synaptic and there it is: pavucontrol
Try this, open a terminal and enter: sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
This package has been around for some time. That should get it for you.
I'm running 11.10 as well. It's there. <winks> Trust me! Ric

Old 02-05-2012, 05:12 AM
"G. "

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/04/2012 03:38 AM, G. wrote:

>>> First, open alsamixer in a terminal and check your settings. EVERYTHING
>>> related to sound depends ultimately on alsa. Then install pavucontrol,
>>> which
>>> ought to be installed at install time, but for some reason isn't. Use
>>> that
>>> to set up your sound sources/outputs. Configuring surround setups is a
>>> breeze. You should have sound input for your mike. Ric
>>>

>>> --
>>

>> I opened alsamixer. *Capture had underlines so I went to that, hit
>> space bar and then hit the up arrow. *I checked for mic functionality,
>> still will not record with sound recorder and still no listing of
>> device under sound settings.
>>
>> Looking to install pavcontrol, the only listing under software center
>> is Pulse Vol Control and Pulse Vol Meter (playback). *Same using
>> synaptic.
>>
>> Not sure what else to do.
>

> I just opened synaptic and there it is: pavucontrol
> Try this, open a terminal and enter: sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
> This package has been around for some time. That should get it for you. I'm
> running 11.10 as well. It's there. <winks> Trust me! Ric

I opened terminal as you said and the message says I already have the
latest version. When I type pavucontrol on the program launcher the
only option is pulse audio control which per Synaptic is pavucontrol.
Under pulse audio control, input devices, All except Monitors, is says
there are no input devices available. Under Moniors it shows an
option for controlling front left and front right more like a speaker
control, but in any case that is not muted. Under Hardware Inout
Devices there are are no input devices available.

ubuntu is not detecting my microphone.

Thanks for you efforts.

garyk

Old 02-05-2012, 06:22 AM
Ric Moore

On 02/05/2012 01:12 AM, G. wrote:

I opened terminal as you said and the message says I already have the
latest version. When I type pavucontrol on the program launcher the
only option is pulse audio control which per Synaptic is pavucontrol.
Under pulse audio control, input devices, All except Monitors, is says
there are no input devices available. Under Moniors it shows an
option for controlling front left and front right more like a speaker
control, but in any case that is not muted. Under Hardware Inout
Devices there are are no input devices available.

ubuntu is not detecting my microphone.

hit F6
see just what devices it sees. If it shows more than one device, play
with them. Something has that mike muted and if pulse doesn't see it at
all, then you'll have to dig in the basement, so to speak, where alsa
is. If you see "MM" hit the m key to toggle mute and unmute. It should
turn into 00 with a greed background. Using the up or down arrows will
increase/decrease the volume level. I take it the mike doesn't have an
on/off switch?? Or, does your hardware need some sort of keypress to
toggle it on? It should be straight forward, and I'm sorry that it
doesn't appear to be.

Also, back to pavucontrol, under "configuration" if you just have two
stereo speakers, the setting would be "analog stereo output and analog
mono input" as you're telling pulse what your setup is and that you have
a mike. Darn thing ought to work. Ric